Travel Insured policy

doglover214

Has anyone used Travel Insured? The Tripinsurancestore recommended it to me.

I have always used Travelex. Travel Insured is less money.

Has anyone ever had a claim?

We've used Travel Insured, purchased through TripInsuranceStore.com

They have more than one type of policy (I think?).

And we had a reasonably large claim the first time, for a last minute cancellation due to a medical emergency.

There was no funny business with the claim, and we got a check a bit more than a week after all the documents were received.

(Yes, we could have "covered" those costs. But while dealing with the medical emergency and recovery, it was awfully nice to know that we'd have the money back to re-plan another trip.)

But a big concern is... what if the medical emergency had occurred overseas. We assume the insurance would have been handled just as well.

GeezerCouple

Edited by GeezerCouple

Thank you for your recommendation. I'm glad all went well.

I had contacted the tripinsurancestore.com and Travel Insured was the company they recommended. Since this was the first time I contacted them, I wanted to be sure of the product.

We've had three claims with Travel Insured, each under $1,000. Never had a problem. Just be aware tho if you have Medicare, you will have to go thru them first on medical unless you want to pay a little more and get the Primary coverage. It's just a little more hassle. If you're a USAA member you get a small discount.

We've had three claims with Travel Insured, each under $1,000. Never had a problem. Just be aware tho if you have Medicare, you will have to go thru them first on medical unless you want to pay a little more and get the Primary coverage. It's just a little more hassle. If you're a USAA member you get a small discount.

For the Travel Insured policy type that we've gotten, the fee to change from "secondary" to "primary" was a one-time flat fee of $25.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Travel Insured will guarantee (or send payment?) if an overseas hospital requires it for treatment/admission.

They typically won't take guarantees from "your regular friendly health insurer", who won't pre-pay much of anything; they work by reimbursement only.

In one foreign hospital, we saw a sign stating that payment was required immediately (by charge card) UNLESS one had a recognized international travel insurance policy that the hospital could verify with the insurer.

Travel Insured was one of those.

Good to know... if such a time happens...

But now I've got a question for Steve and associates: IF one has Travel Insured's default "secondary" coverage, do they still guarantee (or forward funds) if required for hospital treatment/admission overseas?

Or is that only if one has the "primary" coverage?

I'll give them a call.

There obviously wouldn't be any time at all to deal with getting the denial first from some other primary insurer in a situation like that.

GeezerCouple

I am completed baffled on whether or not to get travel/cruise insurance. I have never used insurance before. But my husband had a heart attack last September, so I have to get one that includes "pre-existing conditions". I was told by Travelguard company that I need to get the insurance within 14 days of booking a cruise, which I just booked on 3-16-15, for a trip that leaves on 3-6-15 to the Canary Islands from Barcelona

What is your feelings on this? And can I get insurance without being rushed to get one within the 14 day time span? And who do you recommend?