Which trip to do by rail?

beautiful.thing

Trying to finalize our itinerary for June 12-19 Northbound on radiance (Vancouver to Seward) plus a 4 or 5 day land tour afterward.

We want to do at least one rail trip but don't want to go overboard on rail trips due to the higher cost and balancing that with motorcoach or rental cars. So, if choosing among the following trips, how would you rank them as far as most worthwhile to least and why? Background info: DH and I will have 2 teens traveling with us & I love to drive (but we don't always travel well as a family in a car, lol).

1) White Pass tour in Skagway? (june 17)

2) Seward to Anchorage (june 19)

3) Anchorage to Denali (june 20)

4) Denali to Fairbanks (June 21?)

5) Possible return to trip to Anchorage (June 22 or 23?)

Any help appreciated. We have not yet bought our return flights so flying back to the east coast can be done from either anchorage or fairbanks but i need to nail down the transportation before deciding. I have rentals cars reserved to cover most of these options already.

I'll post my planned itinerary as soon as this is firmed up to get additional feedback.

I will instead note the differences between your selections.

The White Pass is a tour. This is significant for history and scenery, along with engineering and being narrow gage. All of the Alaska RR is transportation based with scenery as a plus.

I first to drop off, in my opinion is Anchorage/Fairbanks. First, it requires too much time, and it just about parallels the Parks Highway. it is of significant advantage, especially with a family to have a car on this portion. ALL advantages, ability to stop and go when and where you want, easy access to unlimited activities, significant savings for a group of 4, full choices of lodgings and meals, and can see and do significantly more.

My opinion, it is very worthwhile to do both the White Pass and Alaska RR Seward/Anchorage- DEPENDING on you? A one way rental car would be my only other choice. I would not bother taking a bus with 4 people, and your overall short time. Make the most out of your trip with touring and sightseeing, with the transit- if you decide on the road trip.

With your final plans, I will suggest- you have your activities, all well thought out, and chosen before you start writing down the route. I seen some poor plans made, without thinking why you would be stopping/staying in areas to begin with. IF it's of no interest then skip it. But, don't underestimate time and distances, another common mistake frequently made. Finally, go for as long as you can afford. Time is your best friend in Alaska.

I first to drop off, in my opinion is Anchorage/Fairbanks. First, it requires too much time, and it just about parallels the Parks Highway.

I too would drop that option. Both options 1 & 2 would provide the best scenery and are very different trips.

Another option would be the car rental from Seward and then catch the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop train that departs from the station just north of the Whittier exit off Seward Hwy. Departs at about 1:30 and returns about 4pm to the same location.

OK, so sounds like we should the train from seward to anchorage and then do the rental car the rest of the trip (either round trip to anchorage or suck up the drop off charge :( )

Is it possible timing wise to do the major marine tour scheduled from 11:30-5:30 still make the Adventure class train Seward-anchorage that departs at 6pm? What time can we leave our baggage with either of them after getting off of the ship while we wander town.

As for the summit Pass tour I think we will leave that as a wait and see. We were hoping to get further north than that which the car allows us to do.

Thanks for the feedback.

Take the White Pass train trip. All the rest of them are transit train trips that take you through areas that can be done much better by driving. I have done one transit train trip on my first trip to AK (Anchorage to Denali) and I hated every second of it. Never again unless there is absolutely no other alternative.

DON

OK, so sounds like we should the train from seward to anchorage and then do the rental car the rest of the trip (either round trip to anchorage or suck up the drop off charge :( )

Is it possible timing wise to do the major marine tour scheduled from 11:30-5:30 still make the Adventure class train Seward-anchorage that departs at 6pm? What time can we leave our baggage with either of them after getting off of the ship while we wander town.

As for the summit Pass tour I think we will leave that as a wait and see. We were hoping to get further north than that which the car allows us to do.

Thanks for the feedback.

Major Marine will store your bags and shuttle you to the train station, or you can drop off your bags at the depot when they open in the morning. Verify the current time. It used to be 9am. The later is more favorable, as you can also pick up your tickets. It's a scramble to do so just before the train leaves. Everyone has to report to pick up the train ticket, they verify each ID.

Edited by Budget Queen