Sharing drink package

link99

Anyone who thinks Royal doesn't monitor these boards is rather naive.

I don't care how high RCCL prices their drinks; I'll never buy a beverage package. What these inflated prices will do is cause me to drink less. On our recent cruise, when we were sitting at the pool and the idea of a frozen drink seemed appealing, the $12 price tag made the idea of an iced tea even more so. Instead of returning to the ship and having a drink before we sailed, we stopped at one of those nice bars they have in every port and had a couple of drinks and used the free wifi they very generously offered. No before dinner drinks; we limited ourselves to the four bottles of wine we brought on board. (We traveled with another couple.). Our bar bill was the lowest of any cruise we've ever been on, even shorter ones.

The drinks we did have were very weak, and I'm pretty sure didn't always have the brands we requested. I've been drinking Tangueray for more than twenty years; it never tasted like a couple of the G&T's I had.

One PP mentioned value. We curtailed our drinking not because we're cheap but because we didn't feel what we were getting was worth what we were paying. I think it's stupid to let yourself be ripped offs but YMMV.

And to those Royal loyalists who claim that every other cruise line mandates that everyone in a stateroom must purchase the package if one person does, this is not the case on Celebrity.

I think the exorbitant drink prices will have two effects: (1) People will drink less; and (2) more people will share packages and/or smuggle alcohol on board. I'm thinking of investing in the company that manufactures Rum Runners.

• 1 month later...
I'm not happy with the increase in drink prices (and cruise fares, for that matter). But, compromising your integrity by stealing is not the way to go. If you justify stealing in this case, where do you draw the line?

A better solution is to shop similar lines for a vacation you believe to be fair. Right now, NCL has much lower fares and the drink package is included in balcony rooms or better. We're considering giving them a try and I hear we can wear shorts to dinner there too!

Bottom line, don't register your displeasure with Royal by compromising your integrity and plan to steal drinks by sharing a package. Simply vote with your vacation dollars and give another cruise line a try. If enough of us vote this way, Royal's pricing will come back down.

You said it perfectly!!:)