recommended shore excursions

Spagirl25

we are going on Star pride May 2015 Athens to Istanbul 9 nights

it is our first cruise and we have a relatively tight budget, I am trying to decide on if we need to go on any of the shore excursions or we should do on our own

Is there one that is highly recommended? Any tips for us?

it is my husband and I and we are fit

our interests are general however we do enjoy history but We are happy with a overview of this,and variation , we have looked at the one in Santorini for example but not knowing the island is it worth it to go to other village or do we hang around Santorini???

Wonderful trip, you will love it

On Santorini go to Oia or less crowded Imerovligi? Take the bus and don't get scammed by a cab driver.

On Mykonos take the tour to Delos if you appreciate history and ruins, it was fascinating. You may be able to book something cheaper than the Windstar excursion on line.

The highlight of the trip was Ephesus. I think Windstar now has a special event included there but you must go.

Skip the carpet sales pitch unless you are in the market.

Enjoy Istanbul and see everything you can while there. It is on of the most fascinating cities in the world.

Also a good time to go with the euro and Turkish lira at record lows.

Hello, my husband and I as well as another couple will be on this cruise too. (Leaving May 12th) I started a thread on the "roll call" board to ask a few questions. I have found the "Greece Ports" thread on this site to be very helpful with a range of opinions. Hope to meet you soon. ~ Teresa

My husband and I will be on the 7 day cruise in June. I booked many excursions on our own with the help of this board and TripAdvisor. I found it to be less expensive to book independently.

Edited by beachbum2b

It is a great trip. You do not need a tour in Santorini, my opinion Santorini much more beautiful from the sea. Myconos hired a cab told them to take us to a great beach, glorious. Rhodes we walked around, went to the castle etc on our own, I walk around the terrific Marina which was interesting. Santorini was uncomfortably crowded, I saw that Myconos was as well, therefore the beach, you can see the windmills easily when you get off the ship. Rhodes was very crowded you have to walk away from it all. I think that all the Greek islands were so beautiful from the water and so so on them. You have to have a tour of Ephesus this wa a must, thrilling, we hired a seperate tour it was great with the exception of the carpet dealers, which I had asked not to be done but they did it anyway. A very nice lunch came with the tour. We took a cab in Bodrum to the castle and museum, it was glorious, wondefful harbor. The trip through the Dardanelles with all the history was glorious as well. Great swimming. The sail away from Istanbul Harbor was exciting, it is an amazing harbor with all the different types of ships and boats, we loved that. I had an epiphany with Santorini, Rhodes and Myconos that I just do not need to see what millions of others do, the crowds and surplus of tourist shops turned me off. I am well traveled and at this point the more obscure is more interesting to me with the exception of great history and art. However, we adored this trip. Also we really dislike group tours and being herded, we are more independent type travelers.

We went over to Agenia from Athens and it was terrific, the Temple of Athena which makes the vertex of the great equallateral triangle with the Temple of Poseiden and the Partheonan, the tiny medieval churches along the hillside all frescoed wondefful and a tiny amount of people mostly people who live there.

All the local people we met and who helped us on this entire trip were incredibly nice and generous with their time and knowledge. Have a great trip it is a wondeful way to see the world. Susanne

Great trip, you'll love it! A couple recommendations:

In Santorini, right at the port, beside the line to the cable car, are two store fronts advertising boat transfers to Oia. One is a high-speed boat. No reservations required, walk up and buy a 20 euro ticket (may be more now) and get on the fast ferry. A 12 minute run takes you to the port at Oia. Included is a ticket for the bus up the crater to the Oia city center, along with a second ticket for the bus transfer to Fira (which runs more or less every 20 minutes). Shop, explore, and have lunch in Oia then head back to Fira.

In Bodrum you must do the gulet boat trip with Lyn on the Adorya. You can contact her at adoryalyn@yahoo.com.

Have fun!

We are sailing on 8/1....I booked a private guide in Rhodes and Ephasus. Will just walk town in mykonos and maybe go to beach.....no clue what to do in Bodrum and stumped on santorini. After cruise we are spending 3 nights in santorini so I think we'll skip Oia and the crowds on cruise day and find something else to do.

Private tour in Rhodes is great. We were taken down back roads and into little towns. Had the sweetest oranges ever from a farm stand. Went to the far side of the island where "The Guns of Navarone" was filmed. Lovely island.

You can walk around the town near the pier by yourself, very easily.

last year we did the Athens to Istanbul on Wind Star. We did the the tour to Santorini. We seemed to be there very early and wandered around the shops. We left as the passengers from the big cruise ships were arriving