Foreign Currency??

allen.crawford

we will be taking our first cruise where we are rather certain we will be needing foreign currency (other than Canadian or US dollars), or will we?? That is our question.

We depart from Lisbon and will be visiting Cape Verde, The Gambia, Senegal, Canary Island, Morroco, and Brazil. Do we need currency for each of the countries we will be in? What do you recommend? How much of each currency do people find useful ($ / day / person)

Thanks

I wouldn't plan on taking foreign currencies with you. We did the World Tour and would have needed about 25 different currencies. The front desk will usually have currency for the upcoming port available, but there will be a 3% surcharge in addition to the fact that they don't always use the most favorable exchange rate. Many foreign countries love US dollars ( unless they happen to be French) and we were amazed at how adept the sales people were at whipping out the calculator, putting in the local amount and the daily exchange rate... presto! there is the USD price! ( It might not be as easy to use Canadien Dollars though)

Another thing we did was to use our bank ATM card to withdraw local currencies and we used our Visa card for most larger purchases. Check your bank and Card issuers policy on foriegn currency exchanges to make sure they don't add surcharges. In many countries, putting your purchase on a credit card allows the merchant to leave off the local tax, so that may be another consideration.

There should be a listing in the daily program of the currency and exchange rate in the upcoming port.

I used both dollars and Euros in Brazil.

You don't mention which cruise line you're using. Some ships carry foreign currencies and will exchange small amounts. I'd check with the Foreign Exchange department of your bank. Visa is acceptable in most places and the bank can advise you on that.

Carrying Canadian $'s is not a good idea - your CAD$ is converted to US$ and then into the country's currency - each step costs money.

Hard to say how much per day you may spend - depends on what you can shop for and how long you will be in each port.

You don't mention which cruise line you're using. Some ships carry foreign currencies and will exchange small amounts. I'd check with the Foreign Exchange department of your bank. Visa is acceptable in most places and the bank can advise you on that.

Carrying Canadian $'s is not a good idea - your CAD$ is converted to US$ and then into the country's currency - each step costs money.

Hard to say how much per day you may spend - depends on what you can shop for and how long you will be in each port.

Let's see... putting my fingers to my temples and concentrating real hard... yes, it's coming through... Rotterdam... Lisbon to Rio

( i cheated... it was in the OP's signature:p )

Our Canadian tablemates were always commenting about not getting as good an exchange rate as they should with their "little dollars" as they called them.

It is best to charge purchases on Visa or Mastercard -- you get the then interbank rate of exchange without paying a premium -- which at foreign exchange desks run anywhere form 3% to 6%. For walking-around cash, a few US Dollars should do -- then use your ATM card --again geting the best exchange rate -- for local cash if you wish. You should not change currency on the ship, or at an exchange office -- you will pay for the privilege.

Whenever we have cruised in Europe on HAL, they have always had an exchange onboard. The rate was not wonderful but the convenience was. And, if we had some currency from one country left over, they would take it and apply it to what we wanted for the next country.

It was no bargain but it beat wasting our time in port cashing the small sums we wanted for taxis or trinkets or whatever. Any medium to large purchase (including lunch), we always charged to AmEx or Visa.

I agree with the above posters who suggested using an ATM card in port for getting local cash. You will get the most favorable exchange rate. If you use a credit card for foreign purchases you will also get a better rate.

If you exchange money on board you can re-exchange all but coins. Unless you'd like some foreign coins for souvenirs use your coins in port before heading back to the US as our banks will balk at coins also.

GN

I agree with the above posters who suggested using an ATM card in port for getting local cash. You will get the most favorable exchange rate. If you use a credit card for foreign purchases you will also get a better rate.

If you exchange money on board you can re-exchange all but coins. Unless you'd like some foreign coins for souvenirs use your coins in port before heading back to the US as our banks will balk at coins also.

GN

The coins wind up being cheap souvenirs for the grandkids:D

We had a considerable collection of various shape and color coins from a number of countries.

When we poured the cement around our pool, there was a scalloped edge on one side of the patio and before the cement set firmly, we had the contractor set the coins into the concrete at even intervals. They look fabulous and everyone has such a good time determining all the different countries they are from. Some foreign coins are really very pretty. This was a number of years ago and they have stood up very well. We only lost one from 'popping out' and I was able to set it back in with durocement.

We had a considerable collection of various shape and color coins from a number of countries.

When we poured the cement around our pool, there was a scalloped edge on one side of the patio and before the cement set firmly, we had the contractor set the coins into the concrete at even intervals. They look fabulous and everyone has such a good time determining all the different countries they are from. Some foreign coins are really very pretty. This was a number of years ago and they have stood up very well. We only lost one from 'popping out' and I was able to set it back in with durocement.

What a WONDERFUL idea!

I used our ATM card a couple of times on our recent cruise to get cash abroad. Works great. I did take some Euros and Pounds with me to have for small purchases I might want to make before I came across an ATM. I agree with S7S that I don't want to have to waste time looking for a machine first thing after hitting the ground. Nowdays there are ATMs everywhere, so it's easy to come across one as you shop around.

Let's see... putting my fingers to my temples and concentrating real hard... yes, it's coming through... Rotterdam... Lisbon to Rio

Ah ha - smart and rich too I see :p :D

I cut out all the signature garbage in an effort to speed things up - even on highspeed/broadband it takes forever to load.

Today is a good day tho so I'm moving right along.

Archived