Harmony Broadway Show

Was going to start one earlier......but no option for Harmony

Sheesh, how can we get to know one another if the roll call isn't there yet? We only have 18 months!

Haha, well we can just start our own here! Where are you from? We're from Victoria Canada. The signature line doesn't show on the App.

Edited by krev

Haha, well we can just start our own here! Where are you from? We're from Victoria Canada. The signature line doesn't show on the App.

We are from Virginia Beach. I'm usually not into the larger ships....but couldn't resist yesterday.

Edited by Beachammo

Adventure is the largest ship so far for us. Our son sailed on Oasis in the fall and has been pushing us to go for a larger ship, so here goes! There's a very active roll call already, you'll need to come on over!

for the OP according to the fench harmony site its' Chicago!! Boo repeat they should have done something new at least it's not cats!

Cool......i can deal with Chicago. Watching paint dry is better than Cats.

I was hoping for Wicked or Jersey Boys.

I was hoping for Wicked or Jersey Boys.

Just my $.02 (and certainly, anything is possible), I don't expect "Wicked" for a regular cruise schedule, as royalties are still pretty high. Possibly "Jersey Boys", but as the cast is more male dominated, it might not work well on a cruise ship requiring cast members to also be in shows that have more gender-balanced or female-shifted casts (nice thing about "Cats", is that it is hard to tell gender under the costumes).

Some guesses (just guesses, not even speculation):

"A Corus Line" - Royalties low and good cast balance, but hard to integrate the production singers as they would also have to dance. It is somewhat dated, though, and might not be that well received by passengers.

"Evita - Royalties also low, and doesn't
require
a lot of dancing or gender-specific cast, so cast reuse for other shows is good. Production costs can also be at a minimum.

"Phantom of the Opera" - Popular, well balanced cast, decent dancing, but might be overly set-expensive (both in cost and onboard storage). Also royalties are still higher.

Other ALWebber shows - mostly popular, royalties are reasonable, sets/casts can be as small/large as desired. Some, though, are dated.

"Rent" - Still popular, good cast balance, can mix production singers with dancers, sets can also be simple.

"Little Shop of Horrors" - Fun, and allows for creativity for Audrey II. Possibly dated.

"42nd Street" - Revival was popular, on a ship - maybe.

"Grease" - Interesting possiblity, may also be dated.

Stretching, but possible:

"The Producers" - Also fun, but might be a bit racy for a cruise ship audience.

"The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" - Not as racy as the title, but that alone might make it undesirable.

"Dreamgirls" - Nice musical, but casting might be a challenge.

"Rock of Ages" - As a rock soundtrack, might not work as well with the ship orchestra.

Just my $.02 (and certainly, anything is possible), I don't expect "Wicked" for a regular cruise schedule, as royalties are still pretty high. Possibly "Jersey Boys", but as the cast is more male dominated, it might not work well on a cruise ship requiring cast members to also be in shows that have more gender-balanced or female-shifted casts (nice thing about "Cats", is that it is hard to tell gender under the costumes).

Most ALW shows would be considered too large (from a production standpoint) for a cruise ship - most have enormous sets and/or set pieces that need to be executed a certain way in order to retain a "Broadway-level" presentation. You can't do Phantom, for instance, without the chandelier, which hangs over the house, not the stage (something a ship's theater would have to be specially equipped to handle, and even then, it would probably wreak havoc with the lighting design). It's true that Cats is performed on what amounts to a giant garbage pile, but it also requires an enormous cast of all-triple threats. Sunset Boulevard requires a massive set for Norma Desmond's house. Starlight Express...roller skates + marginally rough sea = disaster waiting to happen. The only popular ALW shows that might be practical on a ship are Joseph (which could be too religious for popular tastes) or Evita, which can easily be done on a unit set, so long as you can replicate the balcony for "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina".

In general, it seems the the cruise lines are gravitating toward musicals that have been turned into movies (like Chicago and Hairspray) and jukebox musicals that deliver everyone's favorite songs, have well balanced casts, and are reasonably cheap to produce from a production standpoint (Mamma Mia, Million Dollar Quartet, Rock of Ages). Jersey Boys is a possibility, since the production requirements are minimal and the music is cruise-friendly (and there are women in the cast, FWIW), but the fact that it's still going strong in NY and there's a resident production in Vegas may stop the rightsholder from signing off on a production afloat. Wicked, tho popular (yeah, I know) is a massive technical production and probably isn't well suited to an onboard theater.

Some guesses (just guesses, not even speculation):

"A Chorus Line" - Royalties low and good cast balance, but hard to integrate the production singers as they would also have to dance. It is somewhat dated, though, and might not be that well received by passengers.

Agreed. Dated AND probably too long for a ship. Also, a very physically & emotionally draining performance for the actors - not the kind of thing you can easily do twice a night.

"Evita - Royalties also low, and doesn't
require
a lot of dancing or gender-specific cast, so cast reuse for other shows is good. Production costs can also be at a minimum.

Yup. But the fact that the recent Broadway revival wasn't well received probably doesn't help Evita's chances. (Wait...how doesn't Evita require a gender-specific cast? You want to see a guy play Eva?)

"Phantom of the Opera" - Popular, well balanced cast, decent dancing, but might be overly set-expensive (both in cost and onboard storage). Also royalties are still higher.

Other ALWebber shows - mostly popular, royalties are reasonable, sets/casts can be as small/large as desired. Some, though, are dated.

See comments above.

"Rent" - Still popular, good cast balance, can mix production singers with dancers, sets can also be simple.

NOPE. Still very controversial, even 20 years later. Sex + drugs + AIDS + death don't make for a happy, toe-tapping evening at sea. The subject matter isn't particularly family friendly, so the only way a cruiseline could get away with Rent is if they did the 'junior' version licensed to schools - and that would turn audiences off who expect the real thing.

"Little Shop of Horrors" - Fun, and allows for creativity for Audrey II. Possibly dated.

Not dated at all, and helped by a beloved movie version and a mid-2000s Broadway run. The only tricky part: do they go with the original "Don't Feed the Plants" ending or the more well-known "Somewhere That's Green" ending from the movie? (One is significantly more ominous than the other.)

"42nd Street" - Revival was popular, on a ship - maybe.

Lots of familiar tunes, but if they just want to deliver familiar tunes, they'd be better off running "Marquee".

"Grease" - Interesting possiblity, may also be dated.

Beloved film, perpetually revived on Broadway, but some songs will need to be edited for a G-rated crowd.

Stretching, but possible:

"The Producers" - Also fun, but might be a bit racy for a cruise ship audience.

Too hip for the room - and probably too big of a production.

"The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" - Not as racy as the title, but that alone might make it undesirable.

Enough people have forgotten the Burt Reynolds/Dolly Parton film and will probably get offended at the title, even without knowing the story. But even then, it's not a show that says from adult subjects, so probably not a great idea.

"Dreamgirls" - Nice musical, but casting might be a challenge.

Workable from a production standpoint, but color-blind casting isn't an option here - and that could have a knock-on effect in other entertainment venues.

"Rock of Ages" - As a rock soundtrack, might not work as well with the ship orchestra.

Already in residence on NCL Breakaway. Also, not very good.

Here are some other possibilities to consider:

• Into the Woods: recent movie adaptation AND well-received "stripped down" revival on Broadway. Rights have been available for decades. Easy to perform on a unit set.
  • City of Angels: Tony-winning musical from the 90s, with music by Cy Coleman. Invokes old Hollywood without the massive sets required by, say, Sunset Blvd.
  • The Drowsy Chaperone: Tony-winning musical from the last decade, notable for being the show that gave Sutton Foster her breakout role. Hard to describe, but lots of fun - part old Broadway, part meta-commentary on current Broadway, part love-letter to the form. I've never laughed so hard at a Broadway show. Only requires 1 set.
  • Hedwig and the Angry Inch: just kidding. But you should totally see the current production in NY if you have the chance.

Not going on this ship but interested too. I agree wtih m-dfromjersey - a lot of those shows are too complicated set-wise for a ship, controversial or outdated. Ok ones would be...Jersey Boys, LIttle Shop of Horrors. Other possible ones: Matilda, Newsies

Not going on this ship but interested too. I agree wtih m-dfromjersey - a lot of those shows are too complicated set-wise for a ship, controversial or outdated. Ok ones would be...Jersey Boys, LIttle Shop of Horrors. Other possible ones: Matilda, Newsies

"Matilda" has a cast full of children; that would be problematic on a ship - they'd need two full casts just to get through two performances a night, plus they'd need 4x the space for the cast (children + parents) AND have to set up a school on board for the child actors.

And as for "Newsies"...apart from the fact that the cast is 90% male, I doubt Disney would ever allow a rival cruise line to mount a production of "Newsies" at sea.

"Matilda" has a cast full of children; that would be problematic on a ship - they'd need two full casts just to get through two performances a night, plus they'd need 4x the space for the cast (children + parents) AND have to set up a school on board for the child actors.

And as for "Newsies"...apart from the fact that the cast is 90% male, I doubt Disney would ever allow a rival cruise line to mount a production of "Newsies" at sea.

Ha ha...totally forgot that Newsies is Disney. Yeah, that wouldn't go over too well on an RCL ship. I just remembered that it was high energy with singing and dancing, and a simple story and set. Scratch Newsies.

And yes, good point about Matilda. Wouldn't work with child actors on a ship.

Ha ha...totally forgot that Newsies is Disney. Yeah, that wouldn't go over too well on an RCL ship. I just remembered that it was high energy with singing and dancing, and a simple story and set. Scratch Newsies.

And yes, good point about Matilda. Wouldn't work with child actors on a ship.

If it makes you feel any better, I almost added "Newsies" to my suggestions last night. But yeah, there's no way Disney gives up "Newsies".

I almost added "Honeymoon in Vegas" to my list - I just saw it two weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised - it was a lot of fun! It's a big production, but I think the only potential technical challenge would be the 'flying Elvises' sequence...although RCL has done aerial work in their theaters before, so I imagine a flying rig isn't out of the question. That said, the show just opened on Broadway and could use some time to build a reputation before it goes afloat.

What about capitalizing on their Dreamworks partnership and doing "Shrek The Musical"? It's toured the US and the UK recently after ending its Broadway run, and they've been licensing the music/book/lyrics to independent theaters since 2010. Those theaters have each done their own set design, so the massive Broadway sets aren't necessary.

Edited by ahecht

What about capitalizing on their Dreamworks partnership and doing "Shrek The Musical"? It's toured the US and the UK recently after ending its Broadway run, and they've been licensing the music/book/lyrics to independent theaters since 2010. Those theaters have each done their own set design, so the massive Broadway sets aren't necessary.

"Shrek" isn't a terrible idea, although it might be a little too on-the-nose, given the Dreamworks presence on the ship. It might also generate some pushback from parents who are trying to get away from the kid's fare for a while, and from older cruisers who are looking for a more traditional musical experience.

"Shrek" isn't a terrible idea, although it might be a little too on-the-nose, given the Dreamworks presence on the ship. It might also generate some pushback from parents who are trying to get away from the kid's fare for a while, and from older cruisers who are looking for a more traditional musical experience.

I agree with this comment, and it might only appeal to families coming with kids. I took my DS a couple years ago and it was an "ok" musical.

m-dfromjersey - lots of good thoughts (and lots of text - I might scale down for repeat comments)! I did want to clarify a comment first:

how doesn't Evita require a gender-specific cast? You want to see a guy play Eva?

When I was talking about a gender-specific cast, I was suggesting that it is undesirable for a cruise ship cast to have too many main characters of a particular gender, as the cast members are also required to do other shows/jobs (unless you have lots of stripes on your shoulder, you have lots of jobs).

Show on cruise ships typically have a few main singers (4 or 5 total), usually equal in gender, or sometimes one more female singer, and often a few more female dancers than male for the remaining cast (8 to 12). Having a male-dominated cast totally shifts this proportion ("Jersey Boys" would require at least 4 main male singers, the female roles are barely supporting roles).

We are also seeing a shift where PG shows are more common (you did see "Chicago"), so it is possible to see themes that are not specifically "G".

Most ALW shows would be considered too large (from a production standpoint) for a cruise ship - most have enormous sets and/or set pieces that need to be executed a certain way in order to retain a "Broadway-level" presentation. You can't do Phantom, for instance, without the chandelier, which hangs over the house, not the stage (something a ship's theater would have to be specially equipped to handle, and even then, it would probably wreak havoc with the lighting design).

Something else to note, is that these shows are performed more like a touring group, and are not actual Broadway productions (a ship isn't anywhere near the same presentation level), so consider how you might have seen one of these shows in a smaller theater. The chandelier for Phantom isn't required to be over the audience (though there should be a chandelier), and sets are often scaled or abstracted to the particular stage.

That said, it is still possible that Phantom is to production-intense for a cruise ship, and may require too many principal characters for the limited cast space.

It's true that Cats is performed on what amounts to a giant garbage pile, but it also requires an enormous cast of all-triple threats. Sunset Boulevard requires a massive set for Norma Desmond's house. Starlight Express...roller skates + marginally rough sea = disaster waiting to happen. The only popular ALW shows that might be practical on a ship are Joseph (which could be too religious for popular tastes) or Evita, which can easily be done on a unit set, so long as you can replicate the balcony for "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina".

I'd forgotten about "Starlight Express"; would be an interesting way to include the ice performers.

But Joseph or JC Superstar can be done with very minimal sets (though both may be too non-secular). I've seen Sunset Boulevard and Evita with minimal abstract sets, and can even envision Phantom with a minimal set (though, it loose something in this translation). Not that I am suggesting any of these, just that it is feasible and practical.

In general, it seems the the cruise lines are gravitating toward musicals that have been turned into movies (like Chicago and Hairspray) and jukebox musicals that deliver everyone's favorite songs, have well balanced casts, and are reasonably cheap to produce from a production standpoint (Mamma Mia, Million Dollar Quartet, Rock of Ages). Jersey Boys is a possibility, since the production requirements are minimal and the music is cruise-friendly (and there are women in the cast, FWIW), but the fact that it's still going strong in NY and there's a resident production in Vegas may stop the rightsholder from signing off on a production afloat. Wicked, tho popular (yeah, I know) is a massive technical production and probably isn't well suited to an onboard theater.

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't an older "revival". I still think "Jersey Boys" may have a too male-dominated cast to be practical for a cruise ship where cabin space is limited and cast members must do other shows than the "Broadway" show.

"A Corus Line"

Agreed. Dated AND probably too long for a ship. Also, a very physically & emotionally draining performance for the actors - not the kind of thing you can easily do twice a night.

Cats is pretty long and I wouldn't have expected it due to it's length, so show length may not be a factor anymore. As for physically demanding: yes, in it's true form, but adjustable for a set of performances that are often only 3 days per week.

"Evita"

Yup. But the fact that the recent Broadway revival wasn't well received probably doesn't help Evita's chances.

Might work as a revival on a cruise ship.

"Rent"

NOPE. Still very controversial, even 20 years later. Sex + drugs + AIDS + death don't make for a happy, toe-tapping evening at sea. The subject matter isn't particularly family friendly, so the only way a cruiseline could get away with Rent is if they did the 'junior' version licensed to schools - and that would turn audiences off who expect the real thing.

Indeed. Been a while since I have seen it, and forgot that it can be sort of a downer.

"Little Shop of Horrors"

Not dated at all, and helped by a beloved movie version and a mid-2000s Broadway run. The only tricky part: do they go with the original "Don't Feed the Plants" ending or the more well-known "Somewhere That's Green" ending from the movie? (One is significantly more ominous than the other.)

Good question. If this is the chosen production, we would eventually find out.

"Grease"

Beloved film, perpetually revived on Broadway, but some songs will need to be edited for a G-rated crowd.

Only need to adjust for a PG crowd, but doable either way.

"The Producers"

Too hip for the room - and probably too big of a production.

Yes, probably too hip but fun, could be done in a smaller production.

"Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"

Enough people have forgotten the Burt Reynolds/Dolly Parton film and will probably get offended at the title, even without knowing the story. But even then, it's not a show that says from adult subjects, so probably not a great idea.

Like I said, the title alone might keep it out.

"Dreamgirls"

Workable from a production standpoint, but color-blind casting isn't an option here - and that could have a knock-on effect in other entertainment venues.

Indeed. Also like I said: "casting could be a challenge"

"Rock of Ages"

Already in residence on NCL Breakaway. Also, not very good.

I'd forgotten about it on Breakaway.

Here are some other possibilities to consider:

• Into the Woods: recent movie adaptation AND well-received "stripped down" revival on Broadway. Rights have been available for decades. Easy to perform on a unit set.

May not be well known enough, but what do I know.

• City of Angels: Tony-winning musical from the 90s, with music by Cy Coleman. Invokes old Hollywood without the massive sets required by, say, Sunset Blvd.
  • The Drowsy Chaperone: Tony-winning musical from the last decade, notable for being the show that gave Sutton Foster her breakout role. Hard to describe, but lots of fun - part old Broadway, part meta-commentary on current Broadway, part love-letter to the form. I've never laughed so hard at a Broadway show. Only requires 1 set.

Possible. I haven't seen "The Drowsy Chaperone", but have heard it is good.

No need to speculate.

http://harmonyoftheseas.fr/#entertaintment/2

It's chicago!

SPECTACLES DE BROADWAY

Les plus grandes comédies musicales de Broadway vont bientôt vous éblouir ! Installez-vous confortablement dans votre siège car vous allez être notamment subjugués par l’œuvre Chicago, un spectacle électrisant de renommée mondiale et récompensé aux Prix Tony®, Olivier et Grammy Awards.

For those that don't speak french

BROADWAY SHOWS

The greatest Broadway musicals will soon dazzle you! Get comfortable in your seat because you will be overwhelmed by the work including Chicago, an electrifying spectacle of world-renowned and awarded the Tony®, Olivier and Grammy Awards.

PS. That site is great wish they had a North American equivalent.

Edited by Duke Mazer