Where would u do helicopter tour with this schedule?

SUNNY D

We had wanted to do the helicopter airboat tour in Juneau but also want to do a whale tour. We hoped to do both but its proving just too tight on time to accomplish. So since Juneau is the place to whale watch, it makes the most sense to drop the helicopter from juneau. We want to do the train in skagway. We heard the longer bennett option is worthwhile so that would leave no time for helicopter either unless we did the shorter train option which many say is far less superior than the longer ones. Maybe the shorter train coupled with the helicopter tour would make up for taking the long train instead? Lastly we disembark in seward and have 3 days there. They also offer a helicopter tour but shorter compared to the other ports. Im not sure what option seems best at this point? Anyone done the tour in Seward or should we opt for the shorter train in skagway and do it there? in juneau the helicopter tour company says we would be back at their location at 2:45 and one whale tour company said they will pick us up from the helicopter location but we must be there AT 2:45. Theres no wiggle room for the juneau option so my gut says abandon that option :(

Thanks for any input!

Seward is the obvious choice because you have extra time as opposed to the constraints of port times on a cruise. That time will provide an additional bonus since weather can be problematic. And Seward is surrounded by gorgeous scenery ... mountains, glaciers, water, lakes, rivers.

If you look at mollanjake's trip report you'll find some great photos from their heli-dog sled trip out of Seward.

I see your posts inquiring about alternative whale watch times. Have YOU contacted vendors and inquired about a later whale watch?

I have flown out of Seward, and it certainly is just as scenic as Juneau and Skagway glacier flights. Everyone is unique and changing. I believe there are two vendors there. I have flown with Godwins.

I see your posts inquiring about alternative whale watch times. Have YOU contacted vendors and inquired about a later whale watch?

I have flown out of Seward, and it certainly is just as scenic as Juneau and Skagway glacier flights. Everyone is unique and changing. I believe there are two vendors there. I have flown with Godwins.

Yes I have contacted whale vendors in regards to finding a later whale watch and have been unsuccessful, thus my post asking others if they knew of some to try that I havent yet. Harv and Marv also noted that they believe they have the latest tour which is the 2:45 option and that leaves little wiggle room if we were late with the coastal tour. I'm currently corresponding with Adventures in Alaska in Juneau and he might have a less stress free option to get in the coastal helicopter tour and a whale watch on the Scania so keeping my fingers crossed there.

I have looked into the Seward helicopter options and with the ample time we have one of those does seem best, downside is their flight times are much shorter AND ofcourse my husband will have to say goodbye to the airboat experience in Juneau which was part of that tour.

Anyway, I appreciate "talking it out" with others on here and getting your opinions. Thank you!

I think we worked it out! Have to say the customer service and communication from Coastal and Capt Jack at Adventures in Alaska (whale tour) have been stellar. They are going to work together to provide us a whale tour in the morning and the helicopter/airboat tour in the afternoon. Capt Jack is also going to pick us up some sandwiches so we can eat between our tours :) If all goes as planned we will be back to port by 6pm.

If ship leaves at 8pm and we are back to port at 6pm...is there enough time to have dinner in town before heading back to the ship? If so, any recommendations? We could have Coastal drop off right at the restaurant if we can pick one out ahead of time but would prefer something close to the ship so we can easily make it back on board in time. We are open to food choices. Thank you! :)

Have you tried Dolphin Jetboat Tours? They have 4pm tour that ends at 7pm. That'll give you an hour before the Norwegian Sun leaves port. You can check their website for availability.

Thanks for this suggestion. You are right, they do offer a 4pm tour...even a 5pm tour... but that one gets back too late for our ship. At any rate, the 4pm tour is a good option and if one of the smaller tours hadnt worked out we would have considered them for sure. Their tours are slightly larger than the smaller tour experience we were looking for but probably still better than the cruise ship tours. Good info. Thanks again!