Post your best cruise picture

Henrik_Keller

Great pictures everyone!

DH surprised me with a new EOS Canon Rebel XTi 400D for Christmas. I don't know if I'll live long enough to use or learn how to use all of the features. Does anyone have an opinion on this camera? I am thinking of returning it for something else, but I haven't done a lot of research yet. I was checking out the D40 that Bryan and Dave had mentioned, but I wasn't expecting to get one this soon.

Thanks,

Jackie

Jackie - I agree with Dave. My D40 has a ton of features that I haven't even tried yet. Just put your Rebel on Auto and it will decide the proper settings for most shots. You'll be surprised. Enjoy your new camera! :)

Bryan

Sherri, glad you liked the Gem. We're really looking forward to cruising on her. We almost did the 2 nighter from Boston, but I waited to long and the only thing available was over $2000 pp.

A-tx-brit, thanks. I already have that page bookmarked. I did a search and came up with a lot of info, but it's overwhelming for me.

Dave and Bryan, thank you for the encouragement. I never quite mastered our old Canon AE1 Program, so I don't know how good I'll get using anything but the auto and a few other features, but I'll try.

One of the reasons DH picked that camera was because the salesman told him that the many AE1 lenses and filters that we have would fit the Rebel. They don't :( so that is one of the reasons I thought about returning it.

I know you like your D40, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I've only used the auto so far and it seems to take excellent pictures. I can't use the LCD as a viewfinder which I do like at times. I can't find anything about it in the book, so I'm not sure if it's me or the camera doesn't do that. I almost always use my viewfinder, but lately I've been using the LCD and find it convenient.

I have 3 very old CF cards that I had with my first Kodak DC120 that I've been using, but they're all very small cards. Talk about a dinosaur, but it was great at the time.

Jackie

Yeah- it was fun- even with 22 FOOT WAVES!!! :eek:

I did hear about the waves. I even went down to the Black Falcon on my way home from my Mom's on Saturday, not realizing the Gem wasn't back from the first 2 nighter. I also got stuck driving back in that storm in Boston on Friday. It took me over 4 hours to go 3 miles. :eek:

We have an aft room on the Gem and I'm really looking forward to that. We've always been forward, so it will be a little different this time.

I've only used the auto so far and it seems to take excellent pictures. I can't use the LCD as a viewfinder which I do like at times. I can't find anything about it in the book, so I'm not sure if it's me or the camera doesn't do that. I almost always use my viewfinder, but lately I've been using the LCD and find it convenient.

The XTi doesn't have live-view through the LCD. This feature is available on some newer models from various manufacturers, but is mostly used for studio or close-up photography where critical focusing is necessary. In everyday use with a DSLR, the viewfinder is much easier to use and isn't affected by bright light.

I have 3 very old CF cards that I had with my first Kodak DC120 that I've been using, but they're all very small cards. Talk about a dinosaur, but it was great at the time.

Jackie

You can get 4GB Sandisk Ultra II cards at Costco for $49 each. No reason to deal with old, slow cards when fast, reliable storage is that cheap!;)

Dave

The XTi doesn't have live-view through the LCD. This feature is available on some newer models from various manufacturers, but is mostly used for studio or close-up photography where critical focusing is necessary. In everyday use with a DSLR, the viewfinder is much easier to use and isn't affected by bright light.

You can get 4GB Sandisk Ultra II cards at Costco for $49 each. No reason to deal with old, slow cards when fast, reliable storage is that cheap!

Dave

I was hoping I just didn't figure the LCD out yet.

The cards I have are only 10 and 16 MB!!! I just figured I would use them until I decided whether I would keep the camera or not. They don't hold much of anything, and they're at least 10 years old.

Thanks for the tip about the cards. I guess I should bite the bullet and study up.

Have you heard much about this camera? Would you recommend it or going with a different one?

I sent my DH a link to your site. He knows a lot more than I do about the technical aspects.

Thanks again,

Jackie

Have you heard much about this camera? Would you recommend it or going with a different one?

The Rebel XTi is a great camera and has been well-reviewed. I am a fan of Minolta (now Sony), but am heavily biased because of my investment in lenses. Honestly, if I were starting out in the DSLR world right now, it would be a tough choice between any of the top brands. All things being equal, I'd probably go with the Sony A100 for the in-camera stabilization and build, but would hang onto the Rebel if I had been gifted with it and didn't have to make the choice myself...it's that close!

Enjoy the new toy!

Dave

The Rebel XTi is a great camera and has been well-reviewed. I am a fan of Minolta (now Sony), but am heavily biased because of my investment in lenses. Honestly, if I were starting out in the DSLR world right now, it would be a tough choice between any of the top brands. All things being equal, I'd probably go with the Sony A100 for the in-camera stabilization and build, but would hang onto the Rebel if I had been gifted with it and didn't have to make the choice myself...it's that close!

Enjoy the new toy!

Dave

Thanks again for your opinion and input. I really appreciate it and I'm leaning toward keeping it now. :D

It would have been nicer if all the old lenses did fit, but I guess I'll just have to get some new ones. :eek:

Hubby was a professional videographer and still reads the trade magazines and reviews. He had all Sony equipment back then, but what's left is all outdated now. He got out when we moved from CT to MA, right when everything was going digital.

Jackie

Hey Dave and Bryan! I am loving this camera, but still have a very long way to go. I did pick up one of the 4GB cards at Costco when I went to visit my Mom. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to need another lens though. The 18-55 just doesn't do it for me. It's great, but just not enough. I think this is going to turn out to be an expensive camera...:eek: I can also see my studying has just begun. :D Reading up on lenses now...

Hope you're having a great year so far.

Hey Dave and Bryan! I am loving this camera, but still have a very long way to go. I did pick up one of the 4GB cards at Costco when I went to visit my Mom. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to need another lens though. The 18-55 just doesn't do it for me. It's great, but just not enough. I think this is going to turn out to be an expensive camera...:eek: I can also see my studying has just begun. :D Reading up on lenses now...

Expensive, huh? I don't understand what you mean...:p

Instead of adding a longer zoom, you may want to consider a one-lens solution:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477059-REG/Tamron_AF018C700_AF_18_250mm_f_3_5_6_3_Di_II.html

I am considering one of these as a travel lens. Really well reviewed!

Glad you're enjoying the camera!

Dave

Hi Jackie,

I figured you'd like your new camera. I've had my D40 for about 6 months and I still have a LOT to learn. I have two lenses, the kit lens and a 55-200 VR lens. I wish I could have afforded the 18-200 VR lens but that was out of my price range. The only down side to the camera is that I'm now the designated photographer at all family functions and outings and it seems that I spend more time looking through the viewfinder than partaking in the festivities. :eek: That's OK though, I'm learning a lot and happy with the pictures. If you can afford it, I agree with Dave. Buy an 18-200 lens so you don't have to keep changing lenses.

Enjoy your camera!

Bryan

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477059-REG/Tamron_AF018C700_AF_18_250mm_f_3_5_6_3_Di_II.html

Dave

I have a lense close to this one... Quantaray 18-200 and LOVE it. I was tired of changing between them. I have a Nikon D50 and LOVE it!!!!!

I know what you mean my hubby got me the Nikon D50 a couple Christmas's (is that a word) ago and it came with the small one but the next gift was a Quantaray 18-200. He knows me so well. I use it ALL the time. I don't even change them anymore.

Dave

I'm sure you don't have a clue as to how much $$$ you can spend on this stuff!!! ;) Sure wish I could have used some of my old lenses. I wonder if I'll be able to use the old filters!!! Probably not, but I should check it all out.

That lens looks great. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll ask DH to get it for an early birthday present so I can take it on the cruise in April. :D

Jackie

Yes, Bryan, you were right, I do like it and have been doing a little reading up, but it's going to take me a very long time too. It would be nice to have that 18-200, maybe for your next requested gift. Not having to change the lenses would be great. I used to take a lot of flower pictures, and would end up leaving the macro lens on the old AE1. Not good when I wanted to grab the camera to catch something going on.

Everyone always knows I'll bring my camera with me, and I also spend more time taking pics. Keeps me sober!!! ha ha.... We may as well do what we enjoy.

KansasScrapper, glad to hear you like you're getting so much use out of that lens too. Maybe we'll go poke around at Hunt's this weekend.

Jackie