Alaska excursions,post knee surgery question..

klr6773

Hello everyone,

Here's my situation- cruising June 14 on the NCL Pearl. Just found out my knee surgery will be May 12. Had the scheduling nurse not forgotten to follow up,it would have been late April,which would have given me a few more weeks to heal. I can't say for sure what the expected recovery time will be,as I only know part of the problem,but scoping at the time will determine the whole problem. If it's anything like the last,I will be ok enough at 4 weeks to do some light to possibly moderate activity.I do not want to wait until after the sailing.

We definitely don't need to cancel, and have agreed with the idea that we may just have to take it easy and not get to do the really active excursions we originally hoped to do. The week away ( without kids!) is exciting as it is...

My question is...do the excursions tend to sell out before the sailing because Alaska is so port intensive? Should we book the moderate excursions that we like now and cancel if I'm not up to par then, or is it relatively easy to be able to hook up with an excursion while on board?

Thanks for any info that can be offered!

Have you considered getting a scooter to use for those days when the walk from one end of the ship to the other is just too much? Or from the ship to a pickup point? My sister had one in Alaska and she was really happy to have it- some of the docking points seem to be a long hike over to where you need to get.

You recovered far more quickly than I did- I could not possibly have done it that soon. But, I might book the excursions now and cancel later if necessary- there usually is not a penalty for cancelling. Especially for the reason you would have to offer.

Some thoughts...

• do you have a specific tour you are interested in? On my trips, I found a good selection still available the night before on the boat.
  • flight tours and the marine are the first to sell out. Once sold out, you can also book private tours at the dock as backup.
  • booking early will give you more selection, but I would not be concerned about a total sellout.
  • I see there is no tendering in Juneau for the Pearl (good news if you need in a wheelchair). But you are at the AJD dock that requires a shuttle or vehicle to get to town. Will you have problems getting on and off a bus?
  • there is so much to do in Alaskan ports... you might find yourself needing to return a second time (combo tours help). So hard to choose in one trip!
    • glaciers vs whale watch vs Glacier Gardens vs Sawyer
    • Yukon vs Liarsville vs Red Onion vs White Pass Railway

[YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks so far for the quick responses!

In Juneau, we are looking at the Mendenhall Glacier Lake Canoe. We know our first choice ,a glacier copter landing is no longer an option ,as I'm sure the surfaces are too uneven for a not fully strengthened knee. ( I dislocated my other knee 3 weeks post surgery last time,walking down stairs too quickly!)

In Skagway,we are looking at two- White Pass railway and Glacier Park Kayak and Glacier Point Wilderness Safari .

Kayaking and canoe are both definitely more upper body than lower body. We are both in pretty good shape and are comfortable with that type of exertion. I don't want to commit to any kind of hikes this trip.

We weren't worried about excursions in Ketchikan or Victoria. Comfortable " winging it" in both locations.

Thanks so far for the quick responses!

In Juneau, we are looking at the Mendenhall Glacier Lake Canoe. We know our first choice ,a glacier copter landing is no longer an option ,as I'm sure the surfaces are too uneven for a not fully strengthened knee. ( I dislocated my other knee 3 weeks post surgery last time,walking down stairs too quickly!)

In Skagway,we are looking at two- White Pass railway and Glacier Park Kayak and Glacier Point Wilderness Safari .

Kayaking and canoe are both definitely more upper body than lower body. We are both in pretty good shape and are comfortable with that type of exertion. I don't want to commit to any kind of hikes this trip.

We weren't worried about excursions in Ketchikan or Victoria. Comfortable " winging it" in both locations.

All these tours, should be available for booking your embarkment days, BUT all of these usually sell out. So if up to it, you need to book these your first day.

It isn't just "upper" body strength, it's going to be the mobility of the knee and the comfort and ability to bend it, which at 4 weeks won't be ideal. The canoe, kayak are tight fits with full mobility of the lower extremities needed. If you can't bend and hold your knee at 90', these tours could be very difficult and uncomfortable.

I'm a retired healthcare provider and my sister is a rehab therapist, (I was also a inpt in rehab 8 weeks) I would say you may not be realistic with considering these tours. I've seen plenty of knee replacements, with full mobility not there in a month.

Having many first hand experiences, your assumptions with the glacier helicopter landing, isn't all that accurate. It can be easier to board a helicopter vs a floatplane as an example. Vendors, also are very willing to extend what assistance may be needed. IF you were to book direct, I would speculate this tour is very doable for you. You will get boots that have grips, and the glacier ice is probably not what you are thinking. it is more like concrete, not glare ice. I've gone on these flights 8 times. You do not even have to get out the helicopter, but if you do, you don't have to go more than 10 feet to get the experience and beauty. I'm assuming, you would be going with someone, and walking with this person is enough support. I sent my nephews on a trip a couple years, ago (I had an alternative commitment so just dropped them off) and on their flight, a gentleman was with his daughter celebrating his 95th birthday. It did require extra time and assistance, but he was all smiles and made it just fine. IF it is something, you want to do, then book direct just before you go, if you are up to it.

Edited by Budget Queen

I have similar feelings.... A canoe can shift suddenly when you a boarding or exiting... messing up your knee.

Can you walk a mile or two on that knee come cruise time? That should be a factoring in choosing those excursions.

[*]flight tours and the marine are the first to sell out. Once sold out, you can also book private tours at the dock as backup.

/QUOTE]

I'm assuming this is stating if flight tours are sold out, which many times they are, there will be alternative tours available at the dock. But, do NOT count on any late bookings of flights, except for Misty Fiords out of Ketchikan. Everything else, it is very common for sold out flights. You may be able to pick up a few single seats, but don't count on anything else.

Looks like you two have done a nice job convincing me that we just have to book Alaska again when I'm 100 percent! :) ohhh darn !

Thank you for the insights ....VERY appreciated! We will simply play it by ear and decide that week what I'm ready for. Whether active or not,I simply can't wait!

This will be my first Alaska cruise, so I can't speak to the excursion questions, but...

As a veteran of 2 ACL tears, 5 MCL tears, 1 PCL tear (bet you didn't even know that one existed!) and 2 meniscal tears, all in my right knee......here are fairly realistic recovery times...

Meniscus only - 1 week and you'll be up and around fairly normally. It might still be a bit swollen and stiff by cruise time, but with NSAIDs you should have minimal restrictions. I probably wouldn't go extreme and hike Mt Healy though.

ACL or multiple ligament repairs - 4 weeks is going to be pushing it a bit. Your knee is still going to be quite swollen and kneeling will be out of the question. Sitting with your knee bent for long periods (eg a long flight) will be difficult, but not impossible. Do not schedule any excursions with hiking, jumping, lots of stairs or climbing. You will want to die if you try to do any of that. You will be able to climb a few steps onto a boat or something like that. Be really good with making all your PT appointments, and give yourself time in between excursions so you don't have to run. Take plenty of Aleve, use it preventatively (eg, don't wait until your knee hurts), have a backup knee brace in case you are sore, and try to keep your leg elevated when you can (plan some time each day on a lounger with a towel under the knee for support).

Good luck! Hope they don't find much in there! They usually do me with a local (I'm a doctor myself and am very good at sitting still), and I'm so sick of hearing the surgeon say "Oh s*** she tore that again too!"

This will be my first Alaska cruise, so I can't speak to the excursion questions, but...

As a veteran of 2 ACL tears, 5 MCL tears, 1 PCL tear (bet you didn't even know that one existed!) and 2 meniscal tears, all in my right knee......here are fairly realistic recovery times...

Meniscus only - 1 week and you'll be up and around fairly normally. It might still be a bit swollen and stiff by cruise time, but with NSAIDs you should have minimal restrictions. I probably wouldn't go extreme and hike Mt Healy though.

ACL or multiple ligament repairs - 4 weeks is going to be pushing it a bit. Your knee is still going to be quite swollen and kneeling will be out of the question. Sitting with your knee bent for long periods (eg a long flight) will be difficult, but not impossible. Do not schedule any excursions with hiking, jumping, lots of stairs or climbing. You will want to die if you try to do any of that. You will be able to climb a few steps onto a boat or something like that. Be really good with making all your PT appointments, and give yourself time in between excursions so you don't have to run. Take plenty of Aleve, use it preventatively (eg, don't wait until your knee hurts), have a backup knee brace in case you are sore, and try to keep your leg elevated when you can (plan some time each day on a lounger with a towel under the knee for support).

Good luck! Hope they don't find much in there! They usually do me with a local (I'm a doctor myself and am very good at sitting still), and I'm so sick of hearing the surgeon say "Oh s*** she tore that again too!"

Oh my gosh! I've had a rediculous list of breaks,sprains and surgeries over the last 7 years but wow! All on the same knee would be soooo frustrating!

I know that I'm dealing with plica. What I don't know is what ,if anything else,he will find while he's cleaning that up ( had that done in the other knee with a lateral release two years ago). What stinks is that it took a solid year for it to feel " mostly normal" . I walk an average of 8+ miles a day at work- on concrete :(

Told my other half about all of the wonderful responses I've gotten today and she's totally ok with knowing it will be a game time decision.

Have you considered a telescoping hiking stick just in case your knee is overwhelmed? I had my knee replaced and I am getting one mainly because my other knee needs to be replaced. I am working, but with the rain and such, I want to make sure I can get to all that I want to see. Good luck!

Oh my gosh! I've had a rediculous list of breaks,sprains and surgeries over the last 7 years but wow! All on the same knee would be soooo frustrating!

I know that I'm dealing with plica. What I don't know is what ,if anything else,he will find while he's cleaning that up ( had that done in the other knee with a lateral release two years ago). What stinks is that it took a solid year for it to feel " mostly normal" . I walk an average of 8+ miles a day at work- on concrete :(

Told my other half about all of the wonderful responses I've gotten today and she's totally ok with knowing it will be a game time decision.

Yeah, its pretty terrible. I've just accepted at this point that my knee is effectively held together with tiddlywinks, some putty, and maybe a zip tie. I miss skiing a LOT (that was the cause of 2 of the injuries) but otherwise you just learn to adjust. I think plica is basically the ONLY knee problem, I've not had to deal with! A whole year sounds miserable. Hope its an easier fix than they're anticipating.

Edited by silverelf

Have you considered a telescoping hiking stick just in case your knee is overwhelmed? I had my knee replaced and I am getting one mainly because my other knee needs to be replaced. I am working, but with the rain and such, I want to make sure I can get to all that I want to see. Good luck!

Excellent idea! I will add that to my list...thanks!!