Packing List for Two Weeks In Cold/Cool Climate

ducklite

I've had very cold flights and, far more often, very warm flights (esp TPAC). I definitely have lots of layers - and the bottom is usually a wicking t-shirt (that I'll use for sleeping and/or exercising during the trip) and the top layer will be a scarf, with various things in between, depending on my expected climate at destination. For certain trips (usually apartment rentals) I also pack my coolmax blanket which I will wear as a large scarf as needed.

Merino can actually be quite cool, much like silk. I have some short sleeve and long sleeve t-shirts and they're not necessarily hot & stuffy. Whereas my heavier sweaters wouldn't be something I'd wear to travel, I might wear one of the tees.

Thanks for all the advice. I had not meant that I would wear all 3 -- the sweater, the blouse, and the turtleneck at once -- I intend to mix an match and wear the blouse with the sweater one day, the sweater and the turtleneck one day, etc, to give me 3 outfits for each pair of pants, and if it is cooler, I can wear just the single layer. Unfortunately, I have neuropathy in my feet, and I have not found a pair of ballet flats that I can tolerate, so heavier shoes are a must for me. I just like to look my best on vacation; I hate the thought of having to wash out whole outfits every night (I'd rather spend the time sight-seeing!), or, worse yet, wearing clothes several days each so they are not-so-fresh any more! But the ideas are welcome!

Thanks for all the advice. I had not meant that I would wear all 3 -- the sweater, the blouse, and the turtleneck at once -- I intend to mix an match and wear the blouse with the sweater one day, the sweater and the turtleneck one day, etc, to give me 3 outfits for each pair of pants, and if it is cooler, I can wear just the single layer. Unfortunately, I have neuropathy in my feet, and I have not found a pair of ballet flats that I can tolerate, so heavier shoes are a must for me. I just like to look my best on vacation; I hate the thought of having to wash out whole outfits every night (I'd rather spend the time sight-seeing!), or, worse yet, wearing clothes several days each so they are not-so-fresh any more! But the ideas are welcome!

I would bring only one sweater. You are wearing it over your clothes so it won't get dirty or ripe. Sweaters are so bulky to pack. Save the space.

I don't think you will need a ton of turtlenecks. Just one. If it's cool you can wrap a pashmina around your neck. If it's warm you are stuck with clothing which will be uncomfortably stuffy. It's easy to add layers than to manage too heavy clothing.

Long sleeved silk knit tops are great. You can layer them under something else if it is cold, wear by themselves if it's warmer. They can be dressed up to wear to dinner with a black skirt or worn with jeans. Probably the most versatile travel item I own. They weigh a few ounces, take up no space to pack, hand wash and drip dry in a few hours, and don't need ironing.

Take a look at Ecco brand shoes. They have some ballet styled flats that have more structure and arch support. They still have a small profile for packing, but provide a lot of support. Many friends who work in the service industry wear them to work where they are in their feet 6-8 hours straight.

My mom also has neuropathy - she would never ever consider a pump:D I think she wore Merrell slides on board the river cruise for meals etc. Can't remember what she wore for walking tours - I'm going to assume another pair of Merrells as they make about the only shoes she tolerates these days. But absolutely wear what is comfortable for you - my point was only that a pump isn't necessary because the meals will be casual.

Attached is the capsule I started with for my river cruise last December. It's not exactly what I ended up with (I don't think I have a photo/pdf of the final version) but I definitely did base layers (I use merino tees and Uniqlo heattech tees, and one leopard cuddl dud that's not in this shot ;-) but I attached separately. I had one pullover sweater and one cardigan - both cashmere, not bulky but very warm. And 2 wool & silk scarves. Long underwear served as cabin loungewear as well as underlayers if needed (I think I only wore once when touring?)

River Cruise capsule.pdf

147121661_leopard.cuddldud.jpg.3cefae570f94587d6ee637f7d3c62883.jpg