Hair braiding for 7 year old princesses

San Carlos lady

DO IT ON THE SHIP! Do not let them touch your child in Nassau. On the ship, you know that they use clean, sanitized equipment and are decent people. The price you will pay is the price they quote you in advance and will show you on a price sheet.

Nassau--highly questionable sanitation. They probably use the same comb all day. They do crap like quoting you a price of $2 per braid and then at the end try to charge you $10 insisting that she has "long" hair (shoulder length barely), they used beads, etc. Pony beads cost less than 1 cent each at the craft stores! They could see the length of her hair before they started, and they never said it was extra for the beads. The only thing they said was $2 per braid. And yet I paid their highway robbery in order to get my child away from these creeps...after all, I was in a foreign country, didn't know if they'd try to involve the police, etc. At least the lady who did my kid wasn't one of the ones who try to grab at the child, etc. And she did have her comb in some sort of liquid. But never again.

DO IT ON THE SHIP! Do not let them touch your child in Nassau. On the ship' date=' you know that they use clean, sanitized equipment and are decent people. The price you will pay is the price they quote you in advance and will show you on a price sheet.

Nassau--highly questionable sanitation. They probably use the same comb all day. They do crap like quoting you a price of $2 per braid and then at the end try to charge you $10 insisting that she has "long" hair (shoulder length barely), they used beads, etc. Pony beads cost less than 1 cent each at the craft stores! They could see the length of her hair before they started, and they never said it was extra for the beads. The only thing they said was $2 per braid. And yet I paid their highway robbery in order to get my child away from these creeps...after all, I was in a foreign country, didn't know if they'd try to involve the police, etc. At least the lady who did my kid wasn't one of the ones who try to grab at the child, etc. And she did have her comb in some sort of liquid. But never again.[/quote']

Agreed and I have a story too. When I was in high school a gabillion years ago, our school's choir took a trip to the Bahamas (I didn't go, I was in band). A bunch of girls came back with beautiful braids they had done there. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM ended up with lice. It turned into this epidemic at my high school. If you are going to do it, I would do it on the ship (the ladies are stationed by the pool, or were when we were on the Dream) I don't have a daughter and I didn't want my hair done, but when I saw the people in Nassau, I immediately thought of high school and the choir lined up for lice checks... GROSS!!!!

there's always the other view huh?

when dd was growing up she got her hair braided on cruises at least 6 times ....

first couple of times we did it in Nassau at the street place. The price you see is NOT the price you have to pay. Like the Straw Market the game is negotiation. I negotiated full head braids twice for WAY less than half what the regular price would have been. Amazing what waving a few $20's would do. AND I sat and watched like a hawk. No bugs, no problems but it was HOT sitting outside for several hours while this was done.

Next we did it on Castaway ..... somewhat nicer environment but still outside and there was NO negotiation of the price. You pay the Mouse's price. Had it done on the ship once too - same deal except no sand - still sitting outside by the pool.

Then I found the best option ..... walking down the main drag in Nassau I saw a sign down a side street to a beauty parlor. We went there and again NEGOTIATED a price for a whole head, shoulder length, braid job. Regular beauty shop with a/c and no magazines a man would read .... but a regular beauty shop chair for her to sit in AND A/C. Cost WAY less than Disney prices . . . at the shop they even called in a relief braider when the first one got tired hands and I started frowning . . .

Never a bug - never a problem .... wanna spend several hours of your Nassau time sitting in a beauty parlor ????

YES this is a DAD with this experience .... I sailed with the kids several times as a kids - dad experience and other times we went as family.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Make sure u book an appointment once onboard because we wanted to get my daughters hair braided for her birthday and they told us there was no more availability and we needed an appointment and there was no sign statingn that. She was heartbroken