Intentionally missing ship to get to next port on your own?

2ferfun

Last year we were on the Spirit with my son's family and I wanted to get off in Livorno and then get back on in Rome. My TA called NCL for permission and we were denied but my TA said to ask again when we got on the ship.

We boarded in Barcelona and I asked the next morning. I asked at the front desk and they contacted the Immigration Officer. He started in on this long answer, including the Jones Act, but then he said if he didn't know there was nothing stopping us. I said I would need our passports back - he said no problem. I said I didn't wanted our names called as the ship was departing Livorno - he said no problem.

All went very smoothly and we were in Rome by noon. We were traveling with 3 young grandchildren and the extra time in Rome was perfect.

My only suggestion if you are going to do this is check the weather. There are many times when the ships can't get into a planned port because of the winds

As we were getting back on the ship in Rome we were in line with the Immigration Officer and he was very glad to see us.

Last year we were on the Spirit with my son's family and I wanted to get off in Livorno and then get back on in Rome. My TA called NCL for permission and we were denied but my TA said to ask again when we got on the ship.

We boarded in Barcelona and I asked the next morning. I asked at the front desk and they contacted the Immigration Officer. He started in on this long answer' date=' including the Jones Act, but then he said if he didn't know there was nothing stopping us. I said I would need our passports back - he said no problem. I said I didn't wanted our names called as the ship was departing Livorno - he said no problem.

All went very smoothly and we were in Rome by noon. We were traveling with 3 young grandchildren and the extra time in Rome was perfect.

My only suggestion if you are going to do this is check the weather. There are many times when the ships can't get into a planned port because of the winds

As we were getting back on the ship in Rome we were in line with the Immigration Officer and he was very glad to see us.[/quote']

Does the jones act have anything to do with a med cruise?

I don't think it does.... But could be wrong

Ok I just checked... Jones act only applies to USA port......

Sort of unnerving that an officer was quoting it for a med cruise....

Unless of course he was just chatting about the differences between Carib and med cruises and how the jones act DOES NOT apply in your case

The devil is in the details....and clear concise cc posts. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Yes I believe Jones act is usa. I have read about this thoroughly and most ports in Europe are under the eu so I'm suppose to be fine getting off in Athens.....fingers crossed. But thanks for the post about NCL saying no but u doing it anyway ( getting permission on ship) because he HAS TO LEAVE EARLY so this has to happen or no cruise!

We boarded in Barcelona and I asked the next morning. I asked at the front desk and they contacted the Immigration Officer. He started in on this long answer' date=' including the Jones Act, but then he said if he didn't know there was nothing stopping us. I said I would need our passports back - he said no problem. I said I didn't wanted our names called as the ship was departing Livorno - he said no problem.

As we were getting back on the ship in Rome we were in line with the Immigration Officer and he was very glad to see us.[/quote']

I had hoped this post on my experience on leaving a cruise for one night would be useful to the original post.

I apologize if I misled lead anyone when I was trying to summarize my conversation with the Immigration Officer. The phrase "Jones Act" was simply used by the Officer as he was giving a very length response to my request.

When we were preparing for our cruise on the Spirit I could find nothing that specifically dealt with this so I was just trying to relate my experience to the poster.

I had hoped this post on my experience on leaving a cruise for one night would be useful to the original post.

I apologize if I misled lead anyone when I was trying to summarize my conversation with the Immigration Officer. The phrase "Jones Act" was simply used by the Officer as he was giving a very length response to my request.

When we were preparing for our cruise on the Spirit I could find nothing that specifically dealt with this so I was just trying to relate my experience to the poster.

Actually the reason I took issue with the use of jones act is because so many on these boards are quite misinformed so if that wasn't put to rest early on some posters would start confusing the issue

But then again the sea captains here would have very quickly uploaded and discussed ad nauseum the reality of the jones act

So as I surmised the officer was just chatting and probably casually mentioned how its different in the med versus Carib and USA ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It has definitely proven more complicated than the NCL rep originally said. When we called back to get "the form" the new rep had to contact a supervisor who said "no way, cant be done". When I tried to explain that others had done it she almost went crazy and said that she was "documenting our account and if we didnt get back on in Rome we would be denied boarding for the rest of the cruise". My experience has been that its best not to deal with people like this so I kept trying until I got a rep who truly wanted to help. We are now exchanging emails with the Miami office and it looks like it is going to work out. Still not 100% sure, but we have worked our way up the chain and now are dealing with the people who seem to have the power. Fingers crossed.:)

The truly disturbing thing about this process has been the multitude of answers we have received from all the customer service reps. It was truly a different answer every time we called and some of them almost seemed to just be making it up as they went. We have purchased train tickets and reserved a hotel room for the night in hopes that it will work out. But, it has truly been a nightmare trying to get the right person to approve our request! :eek:

It has definitely proven more complicated than the NCL rep originally said. When we called back to get "the form" the new rep had to contact a supervisor who said "no way, cant be done". When I tried to explain that others had done it she almost went crazy and said that she was "documenting our account and if we didnt get back on in Rome we would be denied boarding for the rest of the cruise". My experience has been that its best not to deal with people like this so I kept trying until I got a rep who truly wanted to help. We are now exchanging emails with the Miami office and it looks like it is going to work out. Still not 100% sure, but we have worked our way up the chain and now are dealing with the people who seem to have the power. Fingers crossed.:)

The truly disturbing thing about this process has been the multitude of answers we have received from all the customer service reps. It was truly a different answer every time we called and some of them almost seemed to just be making it up as they went. We have purchased train tickets and reserved a hotel room for the night in hopes that it will work out. But, it has truly been a nightmare trying to get the right person to approve our request! :eek:

Can u please PM me the email of the higher up person in case I run into problems. Brendacruise at hotmail dot ca

Thanks ( ca not com)

The problem I forsee is on a lot of europe cruises they take your passport at the beginning of the cruise and do not give it back until day before disembark. If one was just to get off u need your passport. All the europe hotels I stayed at required passports.