Big Room vs. Big Ship?

amomma23

My family is looking at booking with NCL for November 2016. We've narrowed it down to the Dawn out of New Orleans and The Getaway out of Miami. On the Dawn, we'd be in a family suite with balcony and all of the freebies from the current promo. The Getaway would be a family ocean view room with free beverage package.

We're traveling with kids ages 7, 10, and 14 at time of travel. Ports aren't swaying us one way or another. Based on ship alone, what would you choose? We aren't fussy, but our previous cruise experience is Disney. Is there enough to do with kids on sea days on the Dawn?

My family is looking at booking with NCL for November 2016. We've narrowed it down to the Dawn out of New Orleans and The Getaway out of Miami. On the Dawn, we'd be in a family suite with balcony and all of the freebies from the current promo. The Getaway would be a family ocean view room with free beverage package.

We're traveling with kids ages 7, 10, and 14 at time of travel. Ports aren't swaying us one way or another. Based on ship alone, what would you choose? We aren't fussy, but our previous cruise experience is Disney. Is there enough to do with kids on sea days on the Dawn?

I would go with the Dawn and the suite over the ocean view on the Getaway. No question about it. You'll be pampered in the suite :)

There are plenty of kids programs on sea days!

Edited by cliffd64

I've been on the Dawn; although I haven't cruised the Getaway, I've been on the Breakaway.

There's a lot to do on the Breakaway-class ships, but there's also a good deal more people as well. The Breakaway only really felt crowded on a couple sea days, and on those days, we were very glad to have a balcony cabin to retreat to; it was great to have that private outdoor area, where we could get some sun or read a book without having to hunt for a chair.

Granted, we went in August, so in November it probably won't be nearly as crowded. Still, with 5 people, I think I'd want the bigger room over the bigger ship. There's plenty to do on the Dawn.

Having sailed Getaway, Epic, Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Magic and a few others but not Dawn. I would say Getaway 100% it has been my kids (12 and 10 at the time) favorite ship so far most favorite ship out of 8 cruises. We are going on Quantum (royal) on Sunday and they will be comparing the 2.

The water slides and ropes course kept them busy for days they loved it. Everyone had a amazing time. Before sailing her I thought the ropes course was well stupid but I was so wrong my family went crazy for it and did daily.

But if your family is a stay in your stateroom and relax then go with the suite. My family is a out and about doing things only in the room to change and sleep. Haven looks amazing and I do hope to one day sail in a Haven room but I pick a ship for its features, what we can do.

I got a spa pass and loved that place so much.

The Imaginarium was super cool and fun. Did it first night for free with the dinning plan.

Getaway was so good I think our next ship will be the Escape.

Edited by Jenjer

Thanks for the replies. We're definitely on the go. The room is more of a sleep/shower spot. We like to relax some, but we'll be out and about most of the time. So I think we'll be leaning toward the Getaway.

Thanks for the replies. We're definitely on the go. The room is more of a sleep/shower spot. We like to relax some, but we'll be out and about most of the time. So I think we'll be leaning toward the Getaway.

If that's the case, then definitely Getaway!