HAL vs NCL Alaska Cruise? (similar itineraries)

supatraveler

Thanks for the post Zuki!

Do you mean that one doesn't drink much on the Alaska cruises, so a beverage package isn't worth it?

I've never done a large cruise ship before, so this may sound like a silly question, but are cups of water, juice at breakfast, iced teas, etc, included or do you have to buy each of those separately? Ideally I'd love to not be "nickel and dimed" on a cruise for each beverage, but I know I'm pretty spoiled having mostly sailed on seabourn.

Thanks!

Iced tea, coffee, milk and juices are included with meals and available in the Lido Buffet most hours on HAL ships. NON-bottled water is free all over the ship but bottled water as with anywhere will cost you.

Soft drinks like Coke, Pepsi, etc. are extra cost on all the cruise lines. Of course any wines, beer, champagne, liquors or other mixed drinks will be charged for and availability varies throughout the ship.

I usually drink a good bit of soft drinks especially when I'm in a hot, humid climate but of the two times I purchased a soft drink package on a cruise I really didn't get my money's worth in the end.

If you tend to hit the pool and piano bars often then a drink package may be right for you. The prices and features of those vary for each cruise line.

I have only sailed on HAL, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean lines so I can't vouch for NCL. I have heard that while they have more restaurants to choose from many have a surcharge. On HAL only Canaletto and Pinnacle grill are surcharge restaurants.

You are much less likely to have a bunch of rowdy children roaming around on HAL ships as well since their demographic leans older. Also HAL ships are not nearly as big and overwhelming as many of the newer ships from the other cruise lines, I'm always able to find a quiet spot to relax and read or just watch the sea.

How does HAL work for booking and getting a deal. I was just poking around and for 4 people in an inside room for 2016 it can be $350 per person. HAL is showing $1200 per person. A few years ago, I must had see a fire sale for 1 way sailings on HAL and they went very low. But they only had 2 person cabins available and airfare would be super high that close to sailing.

After you book your cruise keep an eye out for sales and promotions that are introduced afterward. I have done that for several cruises and either received price drops or improved cabins at the same price by calling the cruise line and telling them about the price difference. It can't hurt!

thanks for your input everyone!!

Mobius--I wrote you back--appreciate your help!

My travel agent doesnt work on the weekends, but hoping to book on Monday.

Be sure to ask about the Anniversary Sale going on on HAL right now. It gives you excursion credit, a dining package, and lower deposit.

thanks judynorth--that doesn't apply to all trips though, right? just a select few?

thanks!

I thought it applied to most Alaska cruises. Are you booking through a TA? If so, contact them and see if your cruise is included. Ours is but our TA said that we get a better deal with the past passenger discount. I want to check with her to make sure that this is true since it appears that we should qualify for both.

Which excursion lets you see puffins otters Eagles and whales all in one excursion in Sitka?

We are Silia g on the Celebrity Millenium on May 12 and Sitka is our first stop on May 14.

Would appreciate your help. Thanks

Which excursion lets you see puffins otters Eagles and whales all in one excursion in Sitka?

We are Silia g on the Celebrity Millenium on May 12 and Sitka is our first stop on May 14.

It should say in the description of the excursions in Sitka if you check online at the Celebrity site. We took one of the two boat excursions offered in Sitka when we sailed on HAL. It was a great excursion and well worth the money. It is best at low tide though because you can see the sea stars clinging to the shore at low tide.

Thanks Judy North--unfortunately I called and the date I am looking for is not included in the anniversary sale.

Speaking of Sitka--HAL stops there from 7:00-3:00--Is that enough time to do one of the excursions you're speaking about?

Thank you!

For puffins you need to get to St Lazaria Island. IF you take a ship tour- they do not always go there. I highly recommend the Ester G.

I went out about a week later and had good sightings last year.

Sitka independent boat tours offer varied wildlife. I did charter the boat, since my priority was wildlife.

The tour is 2.5-3 hrs. He will take you to what you want to see. No more than 6 people on the boat. It was $125 a person. We are cruising with NCL May of 2016.

The "what you want to see" is only going to be for birders, St. Lazaria, as an example. Are you going there. There is no way this is done with any other wildlife you want to see, except maybe some possible haul outs. You usually see, humpbacks and sea otters, but is considered a varied wildlife tour. If you want to see puffins, then you specifically need an independent vendor to take you to the rookery at St. Lazaria. Otherwise these are jackpots. :)

Flame away, but there are specific guidelines, in the sticky, above, about recommendations.

I checked with my TA again and found that, although we could get the anniversary sale deal on our particular cruise, we got a much better price with our past passenger discount and the OBC from the consortium that our TA belongs to. We saved about $400pp on the cabin alone.

Sitka is my favorite port in Alaska. It has some incredible excursions. Sitka chocolate is wonderful. The only thing Skagway has going for it is a rental car option for the highway to Canada. By car, you can stop where you want to stop. Sitka is also more fun to walk around and the food is better.