Civitavecchia to Florence after cruise.

zwho

It always makes sense to go to Florence.

The normal way to go is via rail connecting at Rome Termini (the main station in Rome). Alternatively, you can connect in Pisa. This is slower, slightly cheaper, and most connections via Pisa are Regional trains so no seat reservations required or even possible.

Best way and most scenic and avoids a route march to trains at the gigantic Roma Termini station is to take the train from Civitavecchia up the coast to Pisa Centrale. There you change trains for the short hop to Firenze S.M.N.

You can check out times and book tickets on the Trenitalia website . For example current Weekday times mid morning are :

Civitavecchia dep 10.47am Pisa Centrale arr 1.00pm Change trains Pisa Centrale dep 1.32pm Firenze S.M.N. arr 2.32pm (Seat reservations are required on the 10.47am train from Civitavecchia to Pisa Centrale.)

For accommodation in Firenze one cannot go past the magical Hotel La Residenza centrally placed . Book direct on line via hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions http://www.laresidenzahotel.com

We are doing this after our trip but have not decided whether to go through Termini or Pisa route. We are meeting up with family in Florence and half of my family is going home after cruise. I'm not worried about cost more about "ease" as my parents are not too great with suitcases and I'm not sure what is best for me and helping lug them! Lol

I'm not worried about cost more about "ease" Lol

You can get a limo transfer.

http://www.tiberlimo.com/italy-transfers-limo-service/long-distance-transfers-with-free-tour/#rome-florence

It can include a couple of sightseeing stops at no extra cost. And you will not have to touch the suitcases!

Edited by marazul

The transfer in Roma Termini will be from the regional train from the port to the more long distance trains to Florence. The train form the port comes into tracks located a long but flat walk from the tracks for the long distance trains. I recall seeing a directional sign that said 400 meter more. It probably isn't much more than what is normal for walking to airport gates but be prepared to roll luggage for a good 15 minutes.

I have never transferred in Pisa so can't advise on that. Know ahead that you might want to get a taxi to the Civitavecchia train station from the port as it's a bit of s walk there too and not too even surfaces.

We did use a shared shuttle service from Rome to the port which was heavenly! Found them from a Rick Steves Italy guide book mention at http://www.airportshuttle.it but I'm sure there are others. Florence might be out of their realm but worth looking at especially for a group.

Transferring from the regional Civitavecchia train at Roma is a long walk, however if you time it to catch one of the faster trains from C'ia, they pull into the main platforms.

The transfer at Pisa is much much shorter, and involves an underpass between the various tracks (assuming it's not the same track). However, IIRC there are elevators from platform to the lower level.