New Cruiser going on NCL Epic European cruise

Gidget0533

Hi-

I just booked a cruise on the Epic departing from Rome and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to expect. I have looked on the website and it looks like a lot of the stuff (shows etc) aren't offered on the Epic European lines. Has anyone been on the cruise and can you give me an honest review?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I have not yet been on the Epic but my understanding is that they still have the production shows when the ship is in Europe.

The Epic is currently sailing the Caribbean and on April 12, 2015 it will do a transatlantic and head back to Europe to do the Mediterranean. Around the same time a couple of the large production shows will be changing. There will no longer be Blue Man Group or Legends in Concert. There will still be shows, they will just be new productions. Perhaps the relocation and the show changes at the same time have led to some confusion.

Here is a link to have a look at some Epic reviews;

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=481

Use the filters to narrow down the search. By choosing the Mediterranean and the port of Rome you will likely come across some itineraries like the one you will be doing. This hopefully will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Have a great cruise and please keep her in fine shape as I will board in exactly one year from today. :)

Rochelle

I did this cruise 2 years ago and am doing it again in May. Because this is a European with passengers who's primary language isn't necessarily English, you won't find entertainment that relies on language. like Second City, comedians, trivia etc. Instead the shows will be more on visual and music so everyone can enjoy them, no matter what their primary language is. The cruise is so port intensive, and the days so full (at least it was for us) that we didn't miss the other shows.

The title of my reply sums it up in one word. And to repeat myself, the word is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife and I spent three days before and One day after the cruise in Rome which added immeasurably to our vacation, but you are looking for information regarding the Epic, not our vacation.

As an older couple and seasoned cruisers we did not take part in many of the deck party entertainment and partying geared to the younger cruisers. Also there was only one sea day on our cruise.

The on-board entertainment, whether in the main theater or the various lounges was great. The jazz combo and the dualing piano players were great to listen to with an after dinner drink. A definite must is the Cirque show in the Spiegel Tent. We didn't eat there, we just saw the show from the upper balcony which may offer a better view than from ground level.

We purchased the upgraded dinner package and had first class meals every night:

• Teppanaki Room was the most ordinary of the upgraded restaurants. No better than most quality Japanese restaurants on shore.
  • La Cucina offered extremely tasty Italian cuisine without overpowering the natural flavors with garlic.
  • Cagney's offers great steaks cooked to perfection.
  • The churrascaria meats in Moderno were extremely tasty with exquisite flavors. The meal is very filling.
  • Le Bistro has the best French dinners of any cruise ship we've been on. So good it was the only restaurant we ate in twice.
  • We did not partake of Wasabi, Shanghai's or Chef's Table.

O'Sheehan's has good pub fare 24/7 but the service was a bit slow. Not a bad thing though as we had a leisurely breakfast away from the buffet on our sea day.

The Garden Cafe buffet offered standard fare that all cruise ships offer. The food ay have been a bit better than most other lines but we ate a small quick breakfast (eggs, bacon or sausage, coffee) before heading out on day long excursions. On negative about the buffet is that it is crowded early so look for an outside table if possible, and weather permitting, so you can enjoy breakfast.

The Ice Bar was cold and the drinks strong. Blue is best. You'll understand if you go.

Our cruise originated in Rome (Civitavecchia) and the other ports were Livorno (Florence and Pisa) Cannes (France), Palma, Majorca (Spain), Barcelona (Spain), Naples (Italy) and back to Rome. Since cruises originate and end in both Rome and Barcelona embarkation and disembarkation is quick and uncrowded.

We did cruise ship excursions every day. The reason for booking withe NCL as opposed to private tour operators is that if the tour is delayed the ship waits for you. The ship doesn't wait for outside tours and heavy traffic can cause issues.

As we spent four extra days in Rome we saw more than you can see in just the one day excursion from the ship (those starting in Barcelona) but the Colosseum and the Vatican are a must.

We took a bust trip to Pisa and Florence. The Leaning Tower and da Vinci's The David are must sees.

From Cannes we took a bus trip to Eze and Monaco, Of all the excusrions this was out least favorite but it was still good. Princess Grace's tomb and the Start/Finish line of the Monaco Gran Prix were the highlights.

We took a trip to a winery and had a tasting. Good wines. Great hosts. then it was back to the harbor for an hour or so of sightseeing. 95 degrees in early May made for a casual stroll along the waterfront.

From Barelona we took an excursion to Montserrat. Aside from the religious aspects of the monastery and attending Sunday mass the view from the mountains is superb. Unfortunately there was a Catalonian Seperatists rally which pretty much closed Barcelona down so we didn't see the city.

Naples was superb. Our excursion was to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. Pompeii was awesome!!! We were on THE funicular in Capri.

If you can swing extra time in Rome than do it. There is so much to see - the Forum, Palantine Hill, the Pantheon, etc, etc, etc.......

Our last day we went to Ostia Antica, the old harbor city of ancient Rome. The ruins are bigger than Pompeii. This city was abandoned as the coastline changed and its port was rendered useless. You can actually walk into most of the buildings and on ancient mosaics. If you can get there I suggest going. You will be amazed.

Hi there,

We sailed the Epic in 2012 and are about to repeat the experience this Summer.......to do all the things we missed doing first time around! :)

There's a link to my review, which contains some photos, in my signature, if you'd like to take a look.

Enjoy the Epic! :)