which dream itinerary would you do?

3kids1dog

I am obsessively planning our spring break vacation for next year. My kids will be 18, 15 and 10) We have decided on the Dream out of NO, but I can't decide which one:

1.) Over their spring break, which also falls over Easter, going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel

2.) Later in April, going to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

The first choice is about 300$ more, but they wouldn't miss any school. (Maybe 1 day, depending on the drive. And we would have extra time to arrive in NO and explore). The second choice, is cheaper, but they would miss 5 days of school and we would probably get in NO later Saturday afternoon so not much time for exploring.

My 18 year old is a certified diver and wants to do a dive, I think they would like to do more active things in ports. My 10 year old is little and will probably not meet the 48" requirement for cave tubing.

Any opinions?:)

I am obsessively planning our spring break vacation for next year. My kids will be 18, 15 and 10) We have decided on the Dream out of NO, but I can't decide which one:

1.) Over their spring break, which also falls over Easter, going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel

The first choice is about 300$ more, but they wouldn't miss any school. (Maybe 1 day, depending on the drive. And we would have extra time to arrive in NO and explore). The second choice, is cheaper, but they would miss 5 days of school and we would probably get in NO later Saturday afternoon so not much time for exploring.

My 18 year old is a certified diver and wants to do a dive, I think they would like to do more active things in ports. My 10 year old is little and will probably not meet the 48" requirement for cave tubing.

I like the Jamaica itinerary better. That being said, because your 18 year old is a diver the Belize itinerary might be a better fit. Belize and Cozumel are great ports for diving. Jamaica and Grand Cayman aren't the best places for diving. I always stay on the ship in Belize (I don't care for that port). You can make it a ship day for your 10 year old. The Jamaica itinerary has more beach options.

Personally I would do the second one because I need to go back to Belize. The first and only time we went to Belize was to cave tube, but the caves were flooded when we arrived. Also wouldn't mind going back to Roatan.

I have never been cave tubing, but I do know that a fellow CC member was able to take her 4 yr old with her. Her review of her Dream vacation to Belize, Cozumel, and Roatan is great!her name is mitsugirly and here is the link to the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851647 .

I am doing the Belize/Cozumel/RoatAn itinerary next month and was also contemplating the Grand Cozumel/Cayman/Jamaica itinerary. Tough choice! Exploring New Orleans and not having to worry about missing school sounds like the way to go.

Edited by cruiser4630

The title confused me and I was thinking of what my dream itinerary would be and then I started reading and remembered Carnival has a ship named Dream, oh well I will still think up my dream itinerary and when I can afford a yacht I will most certainly be sailing my dream itinerary.

As for your question I would pick option 1 as no school missed is better than 5 days, however the kids would probably disagree. Also Grand Cayman has great diving too. If it was up to me and I could afford the $300 easily I'd definitely pick option 1.

Both itineraries are great. I would go with #1. No worries over missing school would probably make for a more relaxing trip. I am also not a fan of Belize, though others like it. Nothing more beautiful than Rum Point Beach in GC!

I would select option #1.

The children would miss less school.

The Dream sometimes misses Roatan due to it's size and docking issues.

Belize ---- long tender ride and unless you have a planned excursion... just a so-so port.

JMHO........

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

As a teacher, I implore you to take the itinerary that wont result in missing 5 days of school. A day or two is not bad but an entire week at the end of the year is just too much. I don't know where you live but around here that is prime testing time and missing school during that time is very much a no-no. I would take the Easter cruise (I am on that this year) and just be prepared for larger crowds and more kids, which actually may be a nice thing for your kiddos. Plenty of friends to make. You can always book the other itinerary another time. I am on the Spring Break cruise in a few days and we are going to Key West and the Bahamas so it appears that Carnivals tries to change it up each year so if you like the boat then next year at the same time you can probably do the other itinerary over Spring Break.

The diving in Belize is ridiculously expensive for average diving. Whoever said that Grand Cayman doesn't have good diving doesn't know where to dive. I would pay the $300 extra for the Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel route in a heartbeat.

The diving in Belize is ridiculously expensive for average diving. Whoever said that Grand Cayman doesn't have good diving doesn't know where to dive. I would pay the $300 extra for the Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel route in a heartbeat.

Read my post again. I didn't say it didn't have good diving. I said they were not the best places to dive. I believe Roatan and Belize have better diving. I would also pay the extra $300 to do the Jamaica itinerary.

Definitely option 1. I love both of those options, but Jamaica had the most amazing zip line tour. Grand Cayman is spectacular. We did the USS Kittiwake snorkel, and it was an amazing excursion.