Which restaurant on Pride of America?

leesataxprep

New husband & I will probably only eat at one of the "pay extra" restaurants, maybe 2. Which are the best in everyone's opinion? We like all kinds of food. I'll go with the majority rules!:)

Edited by leesataxprep

• 3 weeks later...

I've not been on POA yet (May,2016, yay!), But have been on NCL ships many times. The one's I make sure to go to each cruise are Cagney's, Teppanyaki and Le Bistro (French restaurant called Jefferson's Bistro on POA). All are good, but these are the three I never miss!

• 1 month later...

We've done a LOT of Teppanyaki around home so not really interested in paying the additional surcharge for it on our POA cruise. We may pay for Lobster night @ either Cagney's or Jefferson's and go to one of those as a regular sit down dinner.

However, we will be suite guest for this cruise so will likley be ordering a few meals in our room. It appears that I can get a nice steak from Cagney's delivered to the room and just pay for my (specialty resturaunt) service charge while the kiddo & wife get whatever they want from other resturaunts with (no service charge) and we can have it all delivered for in-room dining by our butler, right?

How is "Child Pricing" handled? Say all 3 of us want to go to Cagney's for Lobster night. Adults are each charged $30/each but what are the childred charged? Why not let us state that one of us is a child here ahead of time?

Edited by ndabunka

We've done a LOT of Teppanyaki around home so not really interested in paying the additional surcharge for it on our POA cruise. We may pay for Lobster night @ either Cagney's or Jefferson's and go to one of those as a regular sit down dinner.

However, we will be suite guest for this cruise so will likley be ordering a few meals in our room. It appears that I can get a nice steak from Cagney's delivered to the room and just pay for my (specialty resturaunt) service charge while the kiddo & wife get whatever they want from other resturaunts with (no service charge) and we can have it all delivered for in-room dining by our butler, right?

How is "Child Pricing" handled? Say all 3 of us want to go to Cagney's for Lobster night. Adults are each charged $30/each but what are the childred charged? Why not let us state that one of us is a child here ahead of time?

Just learned from speaking with the NCL Call Center that there is a separate website exclusively aligned around suite guests that will help me do all this stuff in advance.

D'OH! (H.Simpson) - When I did click on "already booked" that 'special' website took me directly to the EXACT SAME website I have accessed in an attempt to make reservations in the first place.

Edited by ndabunka

Just learned from speaking with the NCL Call Center that there is a separate website exclusively aligned around suite guests that will help me do all this stuff in advance.

D'OH! (H.Simpson) - When I did click on "already booked" that 'special' website took me directly to the EXACT SAME website I have accessed in an attempt to make reservations in the first place.

Cruised the POA in early May & had a suite on the 13th deck. Did not see any specialty restaurant menus in the room for ordering their meals for room service, only a room service menu for breakfast & lunch. Ordered the pizza one day for lunch loaded with pep., saus. mush, & peppers. Was pretty good, about 10-12" dia. Did not really look for dinner for room service, went out between some specialties & complementary. Both were excellent. Lobster night at Cagney's is Wednesday. $10 extra for a whole fresh lobster but oh so good. DW & I each had our own and spilt an 8 oz. filet plus sides. All I can say is WOW. Breakfast at Cagney's is the best , can't compare to room service except you can't wear your jammies. Have a good time! Aloha.

Quick question...

Speaking of Jammie's...

Could we have our butler deliver our breakfast from Cagneys to our Suite??

Thereby, we could enjoy Cagneys and our "good" lattes in our room with the beautiful view.

Cruised the POA in early May & had a suite on the 13th deck. Did not see any specialty restaurant menus in the room for ordering their meals for room service, only a room service menu for breakfast & lunch. Ordered the pizza one day for lunch loaded with pep., saus. mush, & peppers. Was pretty good, about 10-12" dia. Did not really look for dinner for room service, went out between some specialties & complementary. Both were excellent. Lobster night at Cagney's is Wednesday. $10 extra for a whole fresh lobster but oh so good. DW & I each had our own and spilt an 8 oz. filet plus sides. All I can say is WOW. Breakfast at Cagney's is the best , can't compare to room service except you can't wear your jammies. Have a good time! Aloha.

Thanks for the insights. The REAL question between a guy who is In-the-bunker (ndabunka) and Golfjunkey is ..did you play any golf while on the islands and if so would you recommend the courses you played? I am a 'traveling' 8 handicap and thrive on difficult courses. I really enjoyed Mahonghony Run when I played it on a cruise some 15 or 20 years ago.

http://www.mahoganyrungolf.com/

Hopefully the in-room dining from specalty resturaunts IS available for diners as I have heard a number of suite cruisers doing that on a regular basis. We would likely only do it once for dinner but otherwise would typically eat in the normal resturaunts. My wife would MUCH rather eat at a buffett as that has proven easier with kids. We do enjoy a steak no and then but would never 'waste' the $'s that they charge for steaks @ a Ruth Chris or Smith & Wollensky. We are more the Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn Steakhouse kinda folk. Having said that we ONLY order the filets so I guess you could call us upper-level rednecks...LOL

Edited by ndabunka

ndabunka: There is an onshore Concierge Desk for Suites that you can call (1-855-625-4283) to make arrangements if you don't find what you're looking for on the website. If they cannot pre-book something for you, they will pass it along to the ship's concierge who will book it for you. At least that was my experience last summer on the Breakaway.

ndabunka & phissy:

I have asked the Butler to bring menus on other NCL Ships if the menu's were not already available in the Suite. I think the main dining menu would need to be updated daily as that menu changes where the specialty one's don't.

I have also had Cagney's Breakfast delivered and plan to do so when we cruise next May as well as a few Dinners to enjoy on our balcony. Even without the menu just let the Butler know what you want and from which restaurant.

My recommendation: Don't use the little cards in your room to order or you may not get Cagney's Breakfast. Order it with your Butler the night before or earlier. Be specific about it coming from Cagney's, and if you like scrambled eggs then specify fresh scrambled (lesson learned about what ever NCL calls scrambled eggs... was terrible, even in Cagney's). If you want to order coffee, Cagney's French Pressed (Lavazza) Coffee is one of the best on the ship, but you have to specifically request French Pressed. The Lavazza machine is great too!

Thanks for the insights. The REAL question between a guy who is In-the-bunker (ndabunka) and Golfjunkey is ..did you play any golf while on the islands and if so would you recommend the courses you played? I am a 'traveling' 8 handicap and thrive on difficult courses. I really enjoyed Mahonghony Run when I played it on a cruise some 15 or 20 years ago.

http://www.mahoganyrungolf.com/

Hopefully the in-room dining from specalty resturaunts IS available for diners as I have heard a number of suite cruisers doing that on a regular basis. We would likely only do it once for dinner but otherwise would typically eat in the normal resturaunts. My wife would MUCH rather eat at a buffett as that has proven easier with kids. We do enjoy a steak no and then but would never 'waste' the $'s that they charge for steaks @ a Ruth Chris or Smith & Wollensky. We are more the Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn Steakhouse kinda folk. Having said that we ONLY order the filets so I guess you could call us upper-level rednecks...LOL

Cool Handle, I like it. Sorry, did not play golf in HI. Was celebrating our 30th and really no time for golf. Wait, did I really say that? :) Saw some beautiful courses in our travels though. Approaching Kauai port, there is an awesome looking course right along the coast.

Yes, I thought I'd find menus of the specialties in the room. Read it here also. The buffet looked impressive. Many different stations. We did not eat there but walked through on the way to Moderno. I'm partial to preparing steaks on my grill. But do enjoy a well prepared filet on an occasional night out. The steak (filet) & eggs is tops at Cagneys for breakfast as is the crab cakes benedict. If these are to your liking, you will enjoy. Kona beer is also served on the POA. Many different types of Kona available. Longboard was my favorite, ordered a few buckets delivered to the suite, I did. Take care.

New husband & I will probably only eat at one of the "pay extra" restaurants, maybe 2. Which are the best in everyone's opinion? We like all kinds of food. I'll go with the majority rules!:)

I would say Cagney's, then Jefferson's Bistro, then Moderno. Jefferson's Bistro had lobster the evening we left Kona, hauled on in coolers from Kona. This was Weds. Evening

Thanks for all the great suggestions... I have reserved Cagney's for Wednesday eve for our upcoming POA cruise departing July 4th. I am traveling with my 7 year old daughter so I'd imagine the Teppanyaki place would be fun for her. Thoughts on going there early the firt night (Saturday say 5:30-6:00pm)?

Also, I've learned on here that I should try Jefferson's...on which night should I plan? (don't want to miss out on any formal/party nights). Thanks for your help everyone!

Thanks for all the great suggestions... I have reserved Cagney's for Wednesday eve for our upcoming POA cruise departing July 4th. I am traveling with my 7 year old daughter so I'd imagine the Teppanyaki place would be fun for her. Thoughts on going there early the firt night (Saturday say 5:30-6:00pm)?

Also, I've learned on here that I should try Jefferson's...on which night should I plan? (don't want to miss out on any formal/party nights). Thanks for your help everyone!

I don't know if this is still the case, but from what I've read Jefferson's has lobster night after Kona, so on Wednesday nights. Can anyone confirm this? I'm cruising on August 29th so I just made my Jefferson's reservation that night.

If you're not a huge lobster fan, though, I don't know if it matters :)

I don't know if this is still the case, but from what I've read Jefferson's has lobster night after Kona, so on Wednesday nights. Can anyone confirm this? I'm cruising on August 29th so I just made my Jefferson's reservation that night.

If you're not a huge lobster fan, though, I don't know if it matters :)

I can confirm Jefferson's having lobster on Weds. evening (after Kona). This was the case on our POA cruise 4/11 through 4/18.

I believe having a dinner reservation for the embarkation night is not a bad idea. We dined at Moderno at 6pm and that allowed us time to be on deck for the sailaway.

I tried the following on my cruise (06/20 - 06/27/2015)

Moderno - 06/21

Cagney's - 06/23

East Meets West - 06/24

La Cuchina - 06/26

Cagney's was great. Both my wife and I enjoyed the steaks we ordered. We shared the Slider appetizer (very good) and the chicken drumsticks.

Moderno was actually a close second for us because each of the meat selections was very flavorful but the appetizer course was a salad bar (to be expected for a brazilian steakhouse theme).

La Cuchina was okay but probably not worth the additional $15/person. My wife did say that her Lobster Linguine was great and she was okay with the $15/person because of that entree.

East Meets West was good in my opinion. It is included but it offered something other than the traditional dining room options. You can order sushi at the ala carte pricing if you like but the noodle bowl was plenty of food and pretty good.

In order I would recommend Cagney's, Moderno, East Meets West then La Cuchina.