Celebrity Solstice Review 22 March 2015 South Pacific Cruise

LuckiePuris

We didn't upgrade to Premium Wine Package. Classic suited our needs. It is very easy to upgrade though. The crew are almost begging you to upgrade as you board the Solstice.

Enjoy your cruise. Sounds like a great deal.

:)We have also booked the 20th March sailing on Solstice (just booked today) with the current special of booking a Balcony at price of an Inside Cabin and also have the "Perk" of the Classic Beverage Package. I have one question - did you have any trouble upgrading to the Premium Package, that is what we would like to do. How did you go about it?

Your review was terrific and has given us some insight into things to do.

Thanks for all the info,

Cheers,

Karen

Hi Karen,

Yay it's going to be such a great cruise :) We had no trouble at all upgrading to the premium package. We actually did this before the cruise by calling Celebrity Cruises and upgraded over the phone with a credit card, so that our set sail pass card would be printed with the premium package code.

You can also upgrade onboard if you wish.

There's a roll call for our sailing so feel free to join :)

He passed away on the island and was later returned to the ship when it was dark.He was kept in a special cold room.His wife was onboard aswell.The story we heard was that he wanted to die at sea.

Oh that's terrible to hear :(

Hi All--we are Suzanne & Jack from Arlington, VA, traveling with our children John & Eileen. We just booked this cruise today. We have Summit booked in Oct. & Reflection booked for New Years so when I booked Caribbean (again)for March 2016, my husband said "no more Caribbean for a while!" So I went a little crazy and booked this cruise and Antartica (Feb 2017)

We have been to Australia twice but never to the South Pacific. Fiji has always been on my bucket list, so I'm really looking forward to this cruise.

I added our names to the spreadsheet--hope I did it correctly ;)

We were on the same cruise as Luckie Puris, in Concierge Class 9263.

I agree with all the praise he gave to the Solstice. This was our second time on the Solstice in four months. We loved it do much the first time.

However the passengers were so different this time. Maybe it was because we cruised to and from Sydney. Our first time we finished in Auckland. There were 1700 Australians on board this cruise and while most behaved in an exemplary manner there was a large proportion of yobbos.

They drank excessively, swore loudly and were quite rude to some of their fellow passengers.

The worst time was when Ben, the Tour Director , organised a wonderful party for the World Cup Cricket. Ben went to so much trouble to make it a fantastic experience but the drunken group behind us kept yelling out obscenities at the screen as they disagreed with umpires or cricketers.

I asked why they kept being plied with alcohol and the waiter said they had to.

Where was the duty of care.

I would never cruise Australia-Australia again.

Hi Noosagirl, just wondering if you have any photos of your room / bathroom etc? We're concierge next time! Thanks Noosagirl!

Hi LP

We cruised concierge class last year, aside from a footstool included with your balcony furniture the cabin is identical in size and layout, including bathroom. We did have a corner hump cabin so had an extra deep balcony which was nice, but I find the standard Solstice verandah quite roomy anyway. The extras you get (like canapés etc) are a no deal and would only do concierge class again if it was a good price and or perks (drink pkg etc!) like the all inclusive deal we got on our next cruise [emoji16]

8d22bf7d685e2eb8bcd46c0173a26c7c.jpg

95668522ad56016ec92b458cd5a7c341.jpg

Main cabin Concierge Class

fc5ecff6a4b010844916c3541c53ac44.jpg

Bathroom

b612e8dd6f10a28782931d231a32ce26.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Karen,

Yay it's going to be such a great cruise :) We had no trouble at all upgrading to the premium package. We actually did this before the cruise by calling Celebrity Cruises and upgraded over the phone with a credit card, so that our set sail pass card would be printed with the premium package code.

You can also upgrade onboard if you wish.

There's a roll call for our sailing so feel free to join :)

Hi LuckiePuris, have joined what I think is the correct roll call are they in a section called "Celebrity Connections Roll Calls"?

Can you tell me the correct price for the upgrade from Classic to Premium for a cruise originating in Sydney? Are there different prices if you upgrade before the cruise and onboard?

Also what sorts of coffees are included in each as both packages say "Premium Coffee and Tea", does the Classic include Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice in the breakfast area (we had a package on RCI last September and it didn't).

Do you know anywhere I can find out what beers are included for Sydney sailings and what wines as well? If you can't answer all these questions maybe someone else can chime in? Much appreciated.

Hi LuckiePuris, have joined what I think is the correct roll call are they in a section called "Celebrity Connections Roll Calls"?

Can you tell me the correct price for the upgrade from Classic to Premium for a cruise originating in Sydney? Are there different prices if you upgrade before the cruise and onboard?

Also what sorts of coffees are included in each as both packages say "Premium Coffee and Tea", does the Classic include Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice in the breakfast area (we had a package on RCI last September and it didn't).

Do you know anywhere I can find out what beers are included for Sydney sailings and what wines as well? If you can't answer all these questions maybe someone else can chime in? Much appreciated.

Hi Karen,

You found the right roll call! :)

I'll try to answer as much as I can off memory!

We upgraded on 20 April for our March 2016 cruise over the phone for approx $13.11AUD per person per day. This is based on the current upgrade cost from classic to beverage. In theory pricing should be the same to upgrade before or on the cruise, however if they do increase the upgrade price between now and the cruise, you will pay the new price when upgrading whether prior or onboard.

Freshly squeezed orange juice (or to save the debate here as to freshness of the juice - I'm referring to the orange juice that you need to pay for) this was included in the premium package, not sure about classic.

All coffees were included as well as teas. From our experience and understanding, based on the premium package this included cappuccinos, lates, extra shots, flavoured coffees, espressos, alcoholic coffees, standard teas and organic herbal teas, iced coffees and frappes etc.

I think you'll struggle to find a list of included beers and wines as it varies from package to package and venue to venue.

With the premium package, we found atleast a dozen different glasses for most varietals to select from, plus quite a lot of dessert wines etc. Never had trouble finding included wines at any venue onboard.

From what I overheard, included wines on the classic package were quite average in terms of selection. Etc one or two Chardonnays, one or two Shiraz etc.

We found quite a number of the specialty beers out of stock or not available, however your everyday beers easy to come across.

Feel free to let me know if I can help you answer any other questions!

Edited by LuckiePuris

Hi LP

We cruised concierge class last year, aside from a footstool included with your balcony furniture the cabin is identical in size and layout, including bathroom. We did have a corner hump cabin so had an extra deep balcony which was nice, but I find the standard Solstice verandah quite roomy anyway. The extras you get (like canapés etc) are a no deal and would only do concierge class again if it was a good price and or perks (drink pkg etc!) like the all inclusive deal we got on our next cruise [emoji16]

8d22bf7d685e2eb8bcd46c0173a26c7c.jpg

95668522ad56016ec92b458cd5a7c341.jpg

Main cabin Concierge Class

fc5ecff6a4b010844916c3541c53ac44.jpg

Bathroom

b612e8dd6f10a28782931d231a32ce26.jpg

Thank you so much for taking the time in your response and your photos.

Wow you really got quite a large balcony on that sailing!

We are booked in Concierge class for March 2016 as pricing was just a little more than a regular balcony, and it meant we received all three perks which worked our better value for us than a regular balcony.

Not sure that I would pay a lot more for concierge class otherwise, but looking forward to some of the little concierge class touches I've read about.

Am I right in saying the stateroom looks identical to a regular bcomy for Solstice?

Was there something that really stood out for you with concierge class?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you so much for taking the time in your response and your photos.

Wow you really got quite a large balcony on that sailing!

We are booked in Concierge class for March 2016 as pricing was just a little more than a regular balcony, and it meant we received all three perks which worked our better value for us than a regular balcony.

Not sure that I would pay a lot more for concierge class otherwise, but looking forward to some of the little concierge class touches I've read about.

Am I right in saying the stateroom looks identical to a regular bcomy for Solstice?

Was there something that really stood out for you with concierge class?

Thanks for your help!

Yes for the all inclusive offer it was a no brainer!!

But you are correct, the cabin is identical in size and layout as any other Solstice verandah cabin. And you will earn 5pts per night towards captains club status vs 3pts in a std verandah cabin [emoji43]

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
We were on the same cruise as Luckie Puris, in Concierge Class 9263.

I agree with all the praise he gave to the Solstice. This was our second time on the Solstice in four months. We loved it do much the first time.

However the passengers were so different this time. Maybe it was because we cruised to and from Sydney. Our first time we finished in Auckland. There were 1700 Australians on board this cruise and while most behaved in an exemplary manner there was a large proportion of yobbos.

They drank excessively, swore loudly and were quite rude to some of their fellow passengers.

The worst time was when Ben, the Tour Director , organised a wonderful party for the World Cup Cricket. Ben went to so much trouble to make it a fantastic experience but the drunken group behind us kept yelling out obscenities at the screen as they disagreed with umpires or cricketers.

I asked why they kept being plied with alcohol and the waiter said they had to.

Where was the duty of care.

I would never cruise Australia-Australia again.

We were on the same cruise and we had a fabulous time. It was our second time on the Solstice as well, and we would go on an Australia - Australia cruise again any time. We didn't seem to notice very much Yobo behavior on this cruise and generally I wouldn't expect that Celebrity would attract very many of that type of people. We did attend some of the the World Cup in the theatre, and yes it was a little noisy at times as you would expect, but generally we found the large group fairly well behaved. If we encounter a group like you spoke of, we just move away and don't let anyone spoil our experience. We certainly wouldn't let a few Yobo's dictate what cruise we wanted to choose or direction we wanted to travel in.

We have cruised fairly extensively on a number of different lines and we are select on Celebrity. We have also travelled Auckland - Sydney and haven't noticed any difference in guest behaviour to Sydney - Sydney. You should give it another try some time, I think you were just a little unlucky last March. Sporting events seem to always bring out the riff raff and the easy supply of booze doesn't help. You would be better off just avoiding the big sporting events in the future!!!

March 29 2016 it is Sydney - Honolulu on the Celebrity Millennium for us.....

Phil :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please help me decide on a specific cruise to Australia and New Zealand. I want to see Sydney and Melbourne and Uluru Rock and New Zealand. First, from what coastal city would I travel from to see the Rock? Are there trips from the big cities to the Rock? Are they overnight trips? Second, Some ships in New Zealand go to the South (Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, Dusky Sound, Dunedin, Akaroa, Picton and Wellington) and some only go to the North (Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Picton). We do not do water sports but do enjoy beautiful scenery and mountains. I don't know what there is to see in the 2 areas of New Zealand, so if I have to pick the N. or the S., what exactly would I be choosing?