Using a car in NOLA?

GWAE

We are coming in on Saturday morning. Originally we were going to take a cab to the hotel on Magazine st near the FQ and then just hang out in the FQ all day. My wife mentioned that she wanted to go to a plantation as well. I was looking at car rentals and I can get a car for $18 with pick up at the airport and drop off the next morning on Canal street. I would have to pay for parking at the hotel so it would cost us about $30 more to have a car all day instead of cabs and walking.

I guess I am wondering how hard it is to navigate throughout NOLA and the FQ with a car? I am not sure if it would still be easier to park at the hotel and just walk the FQ. We are planning on doing the touristy stuff like Cafe du monde and the likes.

Thoughts on having a car vs no car are appreciated. FWIW, I live in a city and have been making long road trips all our lives so I am not to worried about the drive, but if we are going to just have the car parked all day then it doesn't seem worth it.

The French Quarter is compact enough that you can see all of it best by walking. Parking is difficult and costly.

Many plantation tours pick you up at your hotel so there is little advantage to renting a car for what you want to do.

The French Quarter is compact enough that you can see all of it best by walking. Parking is difficult and costly.

Many plantation tours pick you up at your hotel so there is little advantage to renting a car for what you want to do.

I did see that they would pick you up but our problem seems to be that they all pick up around 12 and our flight doesn't land until 11. There is a good chance we wouldn't make one of the shuttles.

If you want to visit a plantation and can return to Canal Street without subjecting yourself to a drop off fee then I say do it. The approximate fare for one way to downtown is $35 plus tip, then if you estimate $40 in parking for an overnight you then have to factor in the time/convenience factor for dropping off a car on Canal St.

Based on your parameters I think you should seriously consider renting a car if you plan your plantation car for soon after your arrival. The other thing to consider about renting a car is your ability to stop and pick up soda/wine while you are town. Sure there are places closer to the port, but you will pay considerably less if you stop at a local store in Kenner/Metaire than stopping at some rip off stop in downtown.

I would still plan on cabbing and/or walking to the FQ but if you want to visit stops outside of the FQ and downtown then a rental car may very well be a better value.

Other considerations should include how comfortable you are driving in unfamiliar surroundings.