BUEI..been there?

mintsugarcube

Has anyone been to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute?

I'm trying to figure out about how long I should plan for the visit.

Thanks

Also...please be honest with this one..do you think there's anyway at all that it can be done in 30 minutes? There is a tour I was thinking about doing and it does stop at the BUEI, but only for 30 minutes.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Has anyone been to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute?

I'm trying to figure out about how long I should plan for the visit.

Thanks

Also...please be honest with this one..do you think there's anyway at all that it can be done in 30 minutes? There is a tour I was thinking about doing and it does stop at the BUEI, but only for 30 minutes.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

My dh and I went there a couple of years ago...and loved it...We had no kids with us and we spent 2 1/2 great hours there...

My dh and I went there a couple of years ago...and loved it...We had no kids with us and we spent 2 1/2 great hours there...

A friend who's been to Bermuda many times recommended it to us. Does anyone know if DH will be able to get their with his mobility scooter? I've contacted BUIE directly and know it's completely accessible once we get their, and how far it is from the ship's dock in Hamilton, but they couldn't tell me if their would be curb cuts all the way there.

A friend who's been to Bermuda many times recommended it to us. Does anyone know if DH will be able to get their with his mobility scooter? I've contacted BUIE directly and know it's completely accessible once we get their, and how far it is from the ship's dock in Hamilton, but they couldn't tell me if their would be curb cuts all the way there.

Honestly I don't remember the sidewalk situation..I remember when we went there someone told us we could walk from the ferry...it was like 90 degrees..it was at the far end of Front St....wow...we were hot and pooped..it might be on a bus stop...but don't know about accessibility...

Honestly I don't remember the sidewalk situation..I remember when we went there someone told us we could walk from the ferry...it was like 90 degrees..it was at the far end of Front St....wow...we were hot and pooped..it might be on a bus stop...but don't know about accessibility...

Appreciate your response. We'll be there early May, so I doubt it will be hot LOL. I'm a walker, so I may have to scout it out first, and if it works for the scooter, I'll go back and get him. What I know we will do, is have fin!

Appreciate your response. We'll be there early May, so I doubt it will be hot LOL. I'm a walker, so I may have to scout it out first, and if it works for the scooter, I'll go back and get him. What I know we will do, is have fin!

I did it on mobility scooter from the Hamilton ferry with family, including a 10 year old. Not recommended to walk there either. It is about a mile, however, sidewalk does end and had to go out in the busy street for a good block. Also some problems with curb cuts or trucks blocking. I would not recommend.

The museum itself is totally accessible and enjoyable. Lots of shells, fish and maritime interesting features. The 20 minute demo of being underwater is accessible too....similar to a Disney sit down make the chair/floor shake type of thing. Fun.

Highly recommend the hour plus in the museum, but not getting there on mobility scooter or walking there from Hamilton ferry. Vicki

We were there last June. It's a long walk from the Hamilton ferry especially when it's hot. I would recommend taking a taxi. I remember the sidewalks being very narrow in some areas with many curbs. I can't imagine a scooter being able to navigate it. The institute is wonderful. I can't imagine being able to see much of anything in 30 minutes. I think you would need a minimum of an hour to see much of the museum but that would be pushing it. You wouldn't be able to spend more than a minute looking at any one thing. You wouldn't have time to do the "dive" which takes about 15 or 20 minutes by itself.