train transfer

languages1

We are taking the train transfer from Anchorage to the Sun. Do they check us in at the train station or once we have done the trip we go in line and check in to get on ship. We are traveling with kids and wondering about meals and how long it takes from the train stopping in Seward that we are on the boat

Edited by languages1

We are taking the train transfer from Anchorage to the Sun. Do they check us in at the train station or once we have done the trip we go in line and check in to get on ship. We are traveling with kids and wondering about meals and how long it takes from the train stopping in Seward that we are on the boat

You should be checked in either prior to boarding the train or while on the train. You will be on the ship within 20 - 30 minutes of arrival in Seward. It is a short walk from the train to the ship. (100 - 200 yards).

Have they given you a time for the transfer? Seward is new for NCL, and unless this is a special contracted train- you likely will check in at the dock.

So more details are needed for me to give answers, IF NCL is contracting- the train will use the spur track near the cruise dock, and be a mid afternoon arrival- referred to above.

IF they are putting you on the regular run of the Alaska RR, you'll be checking in at the dock, which is farther than you think it is, if walking with luggage, since that train uses the depot not the spur dock track.

Any time, you arrive with a large group, there are going to be waits to process and get on the ship. NCL does NOT have it's own rail cars, like other cruiselines, so I question if they will have the ability to check in anyone on the train.

The train is over 4 hours, and there is a dining car on the train. You can also bring any food you want to.

Edited by Budget Queen

this appears to be a special train for them. It picks us up at the airport and drops us off dockside. I believe only NCL will be on the train

This will also have a later departure and later arrival compared to the regular run. This train is usually a higher cost as well. Think carefully about this option. Seward is loaded with touring opportunities that are superb.

I have the train transfer for my June cruise. We check in at the airport at 1:00 PM and the train trip is five hours to Seaward. I assume our checked luggage goes directly from the airport to the train then to our stateroom. All we take on the train is our carry on.

then it looks like we do check in at the airport and get our keys. It is okay to bring snacks on board though. I saw a you tube of rcl and they appeared to offer drinks for purchase so I have that. I assumed this was btter than the transfer by bus. It seems like a long ride on a bus

then it looks like we do check in at the airport and get our keys. It is okay to bring snacks on board though. I saw a you tube of rcl and they appeared to offer drinks for purchase so I have that. I assumed this was btter than the transfer by bus. It seems like a long ride on a bus

Yes you can bring anything you want on the train. They also have a dining car. The problem with this train, is you have no time for anything in Seward. I also mentioned the usual higher cost, compared to just booking the Alaska RR on your own. (with the differences I already listed about Seward)

The bus is less than 3 hours, but sometimes the buses do make some stops- like if belugas are in the inlet, bore tide (which isn't common).

Seats are assigned on the train. The scenery switches sides, so when not on the "right" side- if of interest, get up for viewing on the other side. The vestibules are open and superb space for views.