Life, LIBERTY, and the Pursuit of an Awesome Cruise- Review 4/5-4/12 Southern Caribbe

Can you advise who you booked this tour thru and how bumpy was the catamaran. My son can get sea sick of it's too much but he would love the snorkeling. We are booked on liberty over Xmas so wanting to book excursions early! Thanks. Janet

Thanks for the awesome review. Can you please tell me if Liberty docked on the even side or odd side at each port? I am in 7439 and just wondering if I get to be port side for at least one of our stops! Thank you.

It's different all the time. When we sailed on the Valor we were pointed in towards the island at St Thomas...so our room 1059 was facing the port...we watched for pier runners... :)

I've been watching the webcam on the valor (and liberty when it works) for the last couple years and it mostly docks with the front of the ship to toward the land...but only sometimes does it turn around and face to the ocean.

St. Thomas - most of the time front towards the island so port side faces pier.

Barbados - on average, they dock next to the warehouses facing toward the stores...makes for great pictures with the Welcome to Barbados sign... (so starboard towards land)

St. Lucia - Almost always comes in facing the island (starboard towards the pier) but then spin around and have the port side next to the pier when they dock. Either way it's a great view there.

St. Kitts - 99% o the time they dock forward towards the island (starboard towards the pier) but again, either way is a gorgeous view.

St. Maarten - I'm not sure if I've ever seen them dock any way but with the front toward the island... Starboard by the pier.

So Starboard (even numbered rooms) for most of the ports and Port for 1 usually. There really isn't a bad view from either side no matter what though. And when you are sailing towards them, you'd always have a great view for St. Thomas on either side... Barbados starboard sees it best and then the rest you'll see from the port side as you sail up to the island. However most of the time you get to the island right at sunrise...which can make for some beautiful pictures! :)

Edited by JKirkN
Had to fix

JKirkN, you have got me confused.

Port is the left side of the ship. Even numbered cabins.

starboard is the right side. Odd numbers.

Oh crud.... I ALWAYS get that backwards... you are right... I'll go back and edit my post if it will let me

Darn it.... it won't let me... I hate the way they have this set up... I'll repost with the correct info.

Edited by JKirkN
correction

CORRECTION POST...I got it backwards on my last one...please ignore that one...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liltee42 viewpost.gif

Thanks for the awesome review. Can you please tell me if Liberty docked on the even side or odd side at each port? I am in 7439 and just wondering if I get to be port side for at least one of our stops! Thank you.

It's different all the time. When we sailed on the Valor we were pointed in towards the island at St Thomas...so our room 1059 was facing the pier...we watched for pier runners... :)

I've been watching the webcam on the valor (and liberty when it works) for the last couple years and it mostly docks with the front of the ship toward the land...but only sometimes does it turn around and face to the ocean.

St. Thomas - most of the time front towards the island so the starboard side faces pier.

Barbados - on average, they dock next to the warehouses facing toward the stores...makes for great pictures with the Welcome to Barbados sign... (so port side towards land)

St. Lucia - Almost always comes in facing the island (port towards the pier) but then spins around and has the starboard side next to the pier when they dock. Either way it's a great view there.

St. Kitts - 99% o the time they dock forward towards the island (port towards the pier) but again, either way is a gorgeous view.

St. Maarten - I'm not sure if I've ever seen them dock any way but with the front toward the island... Port side by the pier.

So Port (even numbered rooms) for most of the ports and Starboard for 2 usually. There really isn't a bad view from either side no matter what though. And when you are sailing towards them, you'd always have a great view for St. Thomas on either side... Barbados Port sees it best and then the rest you'll see from the Starboard side as you sail up to the island. However most of the time you get to the island right at sunrise...which can make for some beautiful pictures! :)

Sorry for the confusion...I'm left handed and somehow that always messes me up when I think of port and starboard....don't know why...I should just think of my left hand as being port... LOL...

Edited by JKirkN
correction

Can you advise who you booked this tour thru and how bumpy was the catamaran. My son can get sea sick of it's too much but he would love the snorkeling. We are booked on liberty over Xmas so wanting to book excursions early! Thanks. Janet

Use this email address to book/inquire about availability: sailcalabaza@gmail.com

The ride was not bumpy at all on the way to the snorkeling spots. It was slightly bumpy on the way back, but we chose to sit on the nets at the front of the catamaran. If you had your son stay in the back, it wouldn't be as bad. No one on the trip made any comments on it being bumpy. I think it's definately worth it!

Gina responds very quickly to all emails, less than 24 hours between emails.

Edited by funinthesun082611

Sorry for the confusion...I'm left handed and somehow that always messes me up when I think of port and starboard....don't know why...I should just think of my left hand as being port... LOL...

The way I remember it is that both port and left have 4 letters....silly, but it works!

Thursday morning we were up bright and early. We headed to breakfast around 7:45 a.m. after getting ready for the day. It was the first time we hit up the omelet station- quick to get and made to order, just what we like!

We were ready to embrace the day in St Lucia!

ry%3D400

(view from our balcony, starboard side)

I had already set up a tour with Spencer Ambrose for this day. We had selected the Land, Sea, and Beach tour. We were off the ship by 8:15 a.m. and easily found Spencer at the end of the shopping area at the pier. This day's tour was set to be 8 hours long.

We walked to a dock once everyone arrived and got into speedboats. It was a little chaotic trying to figure out who belonged in what boat- Spencer holds a number of tours. One of the tours was headed straight to the beach, and the other (the one we were in) was headed into the island first and then to the beach.

After everyone knew where they belonged, we were on our way. What I did like is that we used speedboat to travel. Some tours offer van only in order to tour the island. Most attractions visitors plan to go to are a long distance from the pier by car due to winding roads- a good 1.5-2 hours by car. It took us about 30-40 minutes in the speedboat to get to the side of the island we were aiming for.

While on the speedboat, the guides would stop and fill us in on what we saw- villages, resorts, hotels, where movies had filmed, etc. We stopped at a natural bat cave- can see and hear so many of them! Eventually, we got the best sight ever- the Pitons!

ry%3D400

That meant we were so close to where we were headed.

ry%3D400

Where we docked, there were a handful of local young boys. Before we got there, the crew warned us to not take anything the boys were trying to offer us (grass reeds they had shaped into animals). If you take it from them (it can seem just like an offering to you), they will expect money from you and follow you. One of the things I much appreciated from the crew. A simple "no thank you" kept them from approaching me.

Once on land, we got divided into vans. A tour was provided as we drove to our destination- you could either choose to get a tour of the volcano or you could go to the sulphur mud baths. We picked the second option.

It's said that the sulphur mud has all these natural properties that make you "youthful". When you arrive, you're instructed to get right into the pool. It is hot hot hot! You are supposed to sit in there for a few minutes. After that, you get out and there are buckets of sulphur mud that you are supposed to spread all over you. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes, then get back into the pool of water to rinse off.

ry%3D400

The pool is in the following picture at the top of those steps. Hard to see as it is dark.

ry%3D400

Our skin really did feel good- so soft! If you plan to go here, wear an old bathing suit. Had no issues with staining, but some find that they do. When we were done, we hopped back into the van for a short drive to the waterfall.

ry%3D400

(at a scenic overlook on our way to the waterfall)

Throughout this tour, there is also unlimited drinks- pop, water, Piton beer, rum punch. With this tour, I did find that I had to ask for a drink more often than being asked, but they were always happy to supply.

CORRECTION POST...I got it backwards on my last one...please ignore that one...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liltee42 viewpost.gif

It's different all the time. When we sailed on the Valor we were pointed in towards the island at St Thomas...so our room 1059 was facing the pier...we watched for pier runners... :)

I've been watching the webcam on the valor (and liberty when it works) for the last couple years and it mostly docks with the front of the ship toward the land...but only sometimes does it turn around and face to the ocean.

St. Thomas - most of the time front towards the island so the starboard side faces pier.

Barbados - on average, they dock next to the warehouses facing toward the stores...makes for great pictures with the Welcome to Barbados sign... (so port side towards land)

St. Lucia - Almost always comes in facing the island (port towards the pier) but then spins around and has the starboard side next to the pier when they dock. Either way it's a great view there.

St. Kitts - 99% o the time they dock forward towards the island (port towards the pier) but again, either way is a gorgeous view.

St. Maarten - I'm not sure if I've ever seen them dock any way but with the front toward the island... Port side by the pier.

So Port (even numbered rooms) for most of the ports and Starboard for 2 usually. There really isn't a bad view from either side no matter what though. And when you are sailing towards them, you'd always have a great view for St. Thomas on either side... Barbados Port sees it best and then the rest you'll see from the Starboard side as you sail up to the island. However most of the time you get to the island right at sunrise...which can make for some beautiful pictures! :)

Haha I worked in a yacht building facility and the way I remember it is left and port both have four letters. So port side is left side :)

After a short ride in the van, we made it to the waterfall. It was a little on the cool side (compared to the sulphur pool, anything would be!) but so refreshing.

ry%3D400

I wore water shoes into the waterfall. Better safe than sorry- never know what you're going to come across. The crew was literally always seeing if we wanted our picture taken. So nice when you're traveling as a couple without friends or family.

We stayed here a short time, enough to get in, cool off, and take some pictures. Next up- stopping to try some local bananas!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

St. Lucia's biggest industry is bananas. The U.S. doesn't get any from St. Lucia, Great Britain does. They were so good! Definitely had more flavor I would say than the ones I purchase in Michigan. When we were done taste testing and learning about the process to grow bananas, we threw our peels over the fence back under the banana trees. They claim that it's good fertilizer for further growth of the crop.

Afterwards, we headed to a local small restaurant for lunch. Learn to be patient- there's 2 groups here (on our day anyways there were two speedboats all doing the same tour). It's a small restaurant and there's only one line to reach the table, but it's worth it!

ry%3D400

There is a little bit of everything, and it all was delicious! Salad, root vegetables, potato salad, chicken, rice, beans, noodles. The cook herself was present, so it was nice to be able to thank her for the yummy lunch.

We made our way back to the docks and hopped into the speedboats. It was a short ride- maybe 5 minutes- to reach Jalousie beach. The beach is seated right between the Pitons. What a breathtaking view!

ry%3D400

Looking at the beach, the left side is where we all went to. The beach itself is public, however, on the right side there is a resort. You can go to the right side, place your towels there, but if you try to use their chairs you will get charged. There are a handful of lounge chairs on the left side that you can use for free. By the time we got there, there were none available. We didn't care as we were ready to snorkel!

ry%3D400

There is a section on the left that is a marine reserve. You literally walk right in, throw on your snorkel mask, and see fish all around you! Spencer does have snorkel masks to borrow. I continued to wear my water shoes for protection. There were SO many fish! I'd say probably the best place I've snorkeled in the Caribbean. It does not get very deep in this section- I'm bad at judging depth, but it was very comfortable. There was nice coral, and so many different fish. Really, I can't praise this place enough. No need to feed the fish or anything. Schools of fish around you- awesome!

We stayed here I'm guessing about 2 hours or so. You could snorkel, relax, partake in free drinks. There are a few shops/tables set up here if you felt so inclined to browse.

After about 2 hours, we loaded back up into our speedboats. On the drive back, we got to learn about the different villages. The fellas would stop for lots of picture opportunities. We drove into Marigot Bay- so beautiful! My pictures don't do it justice.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It's a very pretty, secluded bay. There's a hotel located here (you have to get there by water ferry!) that they said is really reasonable to stay at- $75 a night or something of the like.

We made our way back to the pier, arriving around 3:30. We had until I think 4:30 to be back to the ship. All of the places stopped at on the tour had people selling trinkets- almost all of those things you can also get back at the shops at the pier. We were on the hunt for something unique. I don't like to buy things that aren't actually made on the island. We ended up with banana ketchup (they have hot sauce and other similar things)- good! We also came across a gentleman creating fine wire craft souvenirs. There are tons of pieces he's made. He takes one wire and uses tools to twist it, bend it, etc into something. There are all sorts of things- "people" playing the drums, snorkeling, sitting in a hammock under a palm tree. We purchased a scuba diver with a turtle next to him. I didn't take a picture, but here's a sample of what he does-

imag0022.jpg

If you're interested, he's on a corner in the duty free shops. It's called "Wire World".

We made our way back to the ship by 4:15 pm. We decided to get a snack- somehow I was always hungry, but I think it's because there's just so many options!

As we were splitting a Guy's burger, they made the announcement that we would not be stopping at St. Kitts the next day due to expected high winds. Cue initial disappointment. St. Kitts is the only island I'd personally not been to on the itinerary, and I'd had a tour planned with Thenford Grey. They had decided early enough in the day that we wouldn't be going there that they were able to switch our stop to Dominica. A long line suddenly formed at the Shore Excursion desk. We picked up a listing of the excursions they'd be offering. For the price, we didn't think any seemed worth it. Some of them sounded appealing, but not for the money. We didn't have a plan for Dominica (so not like me!), but it was what it was.

We set sail away from St. Lucia- it was beautiful out! The sun was hitting everything just right.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Edited by funinthesun082611

We grabbed a drink from the Alchemy bar (surprise surprise!)- tonight the bartenders asked if they could make something for us. They knew what we had been ordering all week so I ran with it. Some awesome strawberry martini. They do a great job at this bar.

I initially forgot to take pictures of the menus this night. Good thing it is posted outside the dining room :)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a5da37b3127ccee8b4397a7b0200000030O10Aat2rNi3YuWYPbz4S/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00309171357520150417001314451.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D1/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

What I ordered: the cream of broccoli soup (so good!), our waiter told me the cannelloni was good (I think he just got the picture that I eat a lot!) so I got that too (also good!), and the grilled beef tenderloin (just one of the regular "alternative" options). I think my husband stuck with the Port of Call this night.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I think for dessert my DH got the sticky toffee one. I decided on the s'mores parfait (which my waiter agree was good).

ry%3D400

It might have been the best dessert I had during this trip. Seriously so good!!

We hadn't had our regularly scheduled vacation nap that afternoon, so we decided to take a short one before the night's festivities.

ry%3D400

(I always like when they incorporate your stuff into the towel animal)

The nap was a bad idea! I was up within an hour, and my DH was out. I had really wanted to go to the show that night- The Game of Love. It's my favorite! If you haven't been on a cruise, it's essentially a show involving 3 couples. They select a couple that has been married the longest, the shortest, and somewhere in between. They split the couples up, ask a series of questions to the ladies, and then they ask the men the same questions (what would your wife have answered). It is always so funny! I couldn't stand to miss out, so I left my sleeping DH and went alone. Such a weird experience! I have never done anything alone on a cruise. Glad I went- as always, an entertaining show!

I grabbed a glass of wine on my way back to the room and read out on the balcony. Listening to the water against the side of the boat- there's just something so calming about that. The perfect way to end the night! I really was so thankful that Carnival offered us the cheap upgrade to the balcony. We loved it.

I am in Sunday review reading heaven...absolutely fabulous review...you are such a cute couple and what a great trio you had...thanks for so much fun info...and sharing yourselves, that one you got of yourselves trying to get the Fort in the beginning...that is a lifetime keeper..perfection...so good you two look....sincerely, sarah

absolutely loving your review and pics. We sail in less than two weeks!

I've cancelled my planned St. Lucia excursion (LOOOONG van ride to the mud baths) and booked the speedboat excursion that you did. Thanks so much for passing it on!

Thank you for your great reviews, pictures, and all of the info! You're helping me figure out what we need to book and do when my husband, daughter, and I take this cruise in August. I know - we're crazy people...cruising the Caribbean in AUGUST! But the timing worked for our schedules. ;)

Fantastic review so far! I booked both the Calabaza Sailing tour and the Spencer Ambrose tour thanks to your review.

Your pictures are great! So loving this ~ thank you for taking the time to do this.

Thank you for your great reviews, pictures, and all of the info! You're helping me figure out what we need to book and do when my husband, daughter, and I take this cruise in August. I know - we're crazy people...cruising the Caribbean in AUGUST! But the timing worked for our schedules. ;)

We too are booked in August. When are you cruising SoccerGK99? We're going to do 9 days in Puerto Rico then hop on the Liberty Aug 2. I have a water bottle I plan on keeping filled with ice and water and will be spraying myself all day!