Embarkation at Civitavecchia 2015?

katetim

• 5 weeks later...

We are now back, and I wanted to report on our experience in the port of Civit. We booked ahead and bought second class tickets on the FrecciaBianca (fast train from Termini) for €9 each; we were in Civit. in 40 minutes with no stops.

Yes,you'll have to carry your own luggage down a short flight of stairs at the Civit. train station and then up a similar flight of stairs to exit, but after that, it's an easy 10-15 minute walk from the train station to the port. We did not see the bus to transport people from the train station to the port. I'm glad we didn't, for the walk is easy. Turn right when you exit the station. Follow the sidewalk right; you'll come to a switchback to the left; keep going on this switchback; cross the street; turn right and walk along the wide promenade all the way to the port gate. Go through the port gate, take the sidewalk on the right, and you'll see the sign for the free port shuttle.

We definitely could not have found our way or walked to our ship from the port gate.

Hope this information helps some of you.

Thanks, Fear-the-turtle! I personally saw passengers boarding this bus while walking to the other "new" bus stop (where the connection is made to/from the local bus for the train station) and wondered if all passengers could board at this one. It's pretty close to the old one near the entrance to the port.

Good to know for sure! I'm guessing the bus that picked you up was not specific to one ship? Were all passengers permitted to board here? Thanks!

Edited by syesmar

We were all going to the same ship, so it was an easy call for the driver. There weren't that many of us arriving by train.

Enjoy your trip!! Don't stress about this section; it will be easier than you think to walk to the port and find this bus. I know it was for us.

Thanks, Fear-the-turtle, your first-hand report helps to clarify some things.

For those embarking in Civitavecchia or returning from a day in port, from the report above, you are indeed able to board the free port shuttle pictured in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43867506&postcount=64 Directions in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46598916&postcount=29 (If you’re familiar with the “old” shuttle stop by the fort, this is not far from it. We saw it from the street above as we were walking back to the “new” drop off. Near this bus stop is a stairway that connects the upper street to the lower street). Some passengers opt to take a local bus from the train station to the other bus stop (or walk to it), mentioned below.

For those disembarking or spending the day in port, your port shuttle will drop you off at another stop (on these boards referred to as the “new” or “temporary” drop off) that connects with a local bus to the train station, discussed at length here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057798 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057729 in addition to this Thread.

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

• 2 weeks later...

New to this section of the board. Only just decided on a 7 night Med out of Civi in December.

I don't know much about Civi or Rome. We will be flying into Ciampino (Think I spelt that right) airport. Possibly on the day of the cruise - gets in at like 9:30am, and out on return day - leaves at 9pm. (although could possibly stay 1 night pre/post/both.

I haven't the first clue how to get to the port and the more I read the more confused I become. Could someone kindly break it down for me?

Thanks

H

New to this section of the board. Only just decided on a 7 night Med out of Civi in December.

I don't know much about Civi or Rome. We will be flying into Ciampino (Think I spelt that right) airport. Possibly on the day of the cruise - gets in at like 9:30am, and out on return day - leaves at 9pm. (although could possibly stay 1 night pre/post/both.

I haven't the first clue how to get to the port and the more I read the more confused I become. Could someone kindly break it down for me?

Thanks

H

Most of the info given on the boards is for folks flying into FCO airport, not Ciampino. However, both places are quite a distance from the port at Civitavecchia and neither one is easily accessed via public transportation (though using the train/bus is possible if you have the time, patience, and ability to carry your own luggage...)

I would suggest you consider one of the shuttle transfer services such as Romashuttle as the easiest alternative:

http://www.romashuttle.com

They currently charge 80 euro for 2 passengers in a shared shuttle from Ciampino to Civitavecchia.

Unless you can find someone to share with, you're unlikely to find a better rate for a door-to-door transfer. I've used them and they have been reliable.

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you very much. I expected the airport to be quite far. I had heard Civi is far enough from Rome centre and Ryanair are most certainly not known for flying into central airports!

That looks a very reasonable price.

Thanks

H

+

We travelled from Civi port to Rome Ciampino a couple of weeks ago but it will give you an idea of how to do the journey in reverse. We used the free port shuttle bus to outside the port and then walked to the train station. (About 15 mins level walk or there is a bus to the station for a fee). We took the train to Rome Termini station (1hr) costing 5 euros each for the regional train. From Rome Termini we took a taxi which cost 35 euros including luggage. Ciampino is 7 - 8 miles out and the ride was about 25 mins in very heavy traffic. There is an airport bus from near the station but it was difficult to locate and we were pleased we took the taxi. The rank is right outside the main exit from the station and the fare to Ciampino is a fixed rate.

There is plenty of information on here on travelling to/from Civi on the train or take a look at the rome toolkit site. Come back and ask if you have any questions.