Able bodied in disabled cabins

adisguise

On 10/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, puli said:

Part of the problem could be that the ships seem to be offering  either full ambulatory cabins or wheelchair accessible  ones...with nothing in between. My DH has PIGD  (postural instability gait disorder)  and  ..believes rightly so that the ship ADA cabins  should be only  for wheelchair cruisers. However,  he  absolutely needs a walk in shower and all the  appropriate  grab bars.  We love to cruise and each time we board I have my fingers crossed he will not fall trying to  step over the tub  lip or  anywhere else in the bathroom.   I am assuming some cruisers   book these special cabins  for safety reasons and would gladly opt for an "ambulatory assisted " cabin,

For us there  will come a time when asking for an ADA cabin will be necessary...or stop cruising..  I  too hate tubs on ships that sail rough seas and  cannot understand why they are the standard choice....especially on lines that attract older clientele.....a broken hip waiting to happen!

Cruise lines do not follow ADA (unless it's an American-flagged ship, which most are not). If he needs a walk in shower then he needs a HA cabin. I believe the only cruise line that offers "ambulatory" cabins is Holland America, which are not fully accessible. My sister, who is not in a wheelchair, requires an HA cabin for the same reason your DH needs one - she needs a bathroom with no barriers or steps. 

3 hours ago, jpcello said:

Cruise lines do not follow ADA (unless it's an American-flagged ship, which most are not). If he needs a walk in shower then he needs a HA cabin. I believe the only cruise line that offers "ambulatory" cabins is Holland America, which are not fully accessible. My sister, who is not in a wheelchair, requires an HA cabin for the same reason your DH needs one - she needs a bathroom with no barriers or steps. 

Carnival actually offers "ambulatory accessible" cabins which have a walk-in shower without a step and the appropriate grab bars.  These were formally known as "modified accessible," but through dry-docks have been modified down to narrower doorways and do not offer appropriate access for mobility devices (normal doorways and narrower hallways).