My review of Grand Cayman beach

nyctravelerwithkids

We visited Grand cayman on our Western caribbean cruise (April 5-12). After long research I decided to go to Cemetery beach. When we disembarked our tender boat we were grabbed (with other people) by the local taxi driver (it seems that the local taxis are just small buses) and he took us to his bus. We knew that we could take a bus, but we wanted to get to the beach ASAP and decided to bus on the way back. So we went with the taxi driver. We waited in the taxi until he filled it as full as he could. He used all seats plus more, so it was difficult to breath. Before we boarded his car I asked him if he would take us to the Cemetery beach (it was stated on his sign that he goes there, $6 pp). His ready responce was that we are risking going there with a child (11yo), because there are no facilities and no food there and that everyone has to go to Sea Grape beach. It put me on instant alert! I was ready to fight for my choice, but my husband was convinced by the driver and his heated speach, so we got off the taxi with all other people at Sea Grape beach. Imagine my disapointment when instead of perstine Caribbean beach with picture perfect sand and palm treas we saw awfully crowded and loud beach with very very narrow sand line - mayby 10 feet from the road to the water. Beach chairs took ALL the sand, so the chairs closer to the water actually stood in the water. There was no space to pass between chairs. There was smell of cooking food in the air. There was huge construction site behind the beach. AWFUL! We did try to walk further along the beach trying to find at least some spot to put out towels and sit down. But failed. So I put my foot down and tald my husband that that was not the beach I come to Grand Cayman for and we returned to the spot where we got off and luckilly found another taxi driver who just dropped his passengers and was empty and he gave us a ride to Cemetery beach and charged us public bus's fare - $2pp.

When I saw Cemetery beach I felt that this is the REAL Caribbean beach! It was picture perfect! We didn't need all the facility. We could easily get 3 hours without the toilet. We didn't need the food and drinks - we had it all on the ship all week long. We didn't need the beach chairs ($10 per chair) - we could easyly sit on the sand. My main criteria for the beach was the water and it was PERFECT! So clean, so warm, so transparent! There was a small reef 20-30 feet from the shore and it was very easy to swim there and snorkel if you wanted. We put our beach towels on the sand right by the water under the some kind of evergreen tree and were happy and comfortable. One thing I know - I will never forget the water on this beach! And it was barelly 20 people there - all families with kids.

When we were ready to get back, we just crossed the street to the bus stop and 2 min later the bus stopped and picked us up. We paid $3 pp to get back to the ship.

It was the best beach on our cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

For Grand Cayman, you can either pay $2.50 pp for the bus that takes you over to Seven Mile Beach or pay the $5 pp for a private shuttle over to 7 mile. They drop you off at Calico Jack's Bar and Grill and it's a great place to rent chairs ($5) and enjoy the beautiful beach there. Plenty of shuttles there to take you back as well. We go there when we are in Grand Cayman and it's always great.

Sorry that you had to go through that mess. That almost happened to us in Jamaica using the JUTA and it got heated.

• 1 month later...