Inexpensive Things to Do In Ketchikan

Kat128

I'm going to give specific information for Totem Bight. :) The regular bus fare is $1 each way, reduced senior rates. The bus leaves downtown closest to dock 2 and 3, from the corner of Dock and Front Street. From the cruise docks- you have to cross the street, - Silver bus line. Only 1 bus per hour, leaving 25 after the hour. During mid day, busy timeframes- they WILL deny boarding a full bus. No they don't send another one. IF you see lines of people milling around, then walk over to an earlier stop at the City Museum- former Library which is near Creek St. There is a bus shelter out front.

I recommend the real early day visitors print out and take a Totem guide sheet with them. I have greatly enjoyed taking the 6:25a bus, with those early port times. I recommend allowing 3 hours for the round trip.

Consider taking a look next door at Potlatch Park, during "business" hours, may be an opportunity for a look at some totem carvers. The shed is out back.

The return bus leaves at 13 after the hour.

Thank you for the information Budget Queen. We've read about the different parks/places to see totems and we've decided on Totem Bight you're bus information is very helpful. Will try to remember to catch the bus at the City Museum. Also plan on walking Married Man's Trail and shopping on Creek Street.

FREE: pick up a map at the visitor center and enjoy a self guided walking tour of the town. Or use the map at the bottom of this page:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/creek-street-ketchikan.html

UNDER $2: take the city bus to Totem Bight ... the totems are colorful and interesting and it's a lovely setting on the waterfront.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

There are other suggestions within that link.

I'm in the same boat (haha) as the OP and this is exactly what we are going to do.

Another fairly inexpensive option is to rent a car. That way you don't have to worry about the bus schedules, getting a seat, or tour schedules. We're renting from alaska Car Rental, and the cost is a bit over $60. They will pick you up at the ship.