Juneau, Mendenhall City and Glacier tour question

texansandy

We are planning to do the Mendenhall city and glacier tour while in Juneau. I'm confused about how you get to Nugget Falls from there. It seems from all I've read that you walk there, but not sure where you start. Also, DH and I are seniors and am wondering how hard of a walk it will be.

Thanks!

Any transportation that you take to Mendenhall will drop you off at the Visitor Center. From there, the path is clearly marked, it's just over 1 mile each way. You'll see a couple signs along the path, too, like this one:

SAM_1228.md.jpg

It's pretty flat, shouldn't be a hard walk at all (however, if it rains, the path will get quite muddy, with standing water in places).

Edited by Illyria

We are planning to do the Mendenhall city and glacier tour while in Juneau. I'm confused about how you get to Nugget Falls from there. It seems from all I've read that you walk there, but not sure where you start. Also, DH and I are seniors and am wondering how hard of a walk it will be.

Thanks!

the problem is the "tour" you booked. There is not enough time for you to do the Nugget Falls trail. You need to allow and hour. These tours usually only have 45 minutes at Mendenhall and you are paying for the Visitor Center admission.

Frankly- IF you determine the Nugget Falls trail is a priority for you, then you may have the option to exit the tour- at Mendenhall, and get your own way back to the ship by shuttle bus or cab. The tour may not be as extensive as you may be expecting? It's going to be a drive by of a few buildings, but you won't be able to go into any of them, downtown.

Otherwise, just taking the Mendenhall shuttle bus, $20 round trip pp, then you can spend all the time you want there.

Thank you so much for posting about the Mendenhall Glacier bus. Do you know how often does the shuttle bus run? Do you pick it up at the cruiseport?

Also, can you take a cab to Mendenhall Glacier and approximately how much is that?

We are only in port for the morning and want to ensure we can get back to the ship in time.

Thank you so much for posting about the Mendenhall Glacier bus. Do you know how often does the shuttle bus run? Do you pick it up at the cruiseport?

Also, can you take a cab to Mendenhall Glacier and approximately how much is that?

We are only in port for the morning and want to ensure we can get back to the ship in time.

The Mendenhall shuttle buses run at least every hour. More frequently depending on numbers. the shuttle buses load at the tram parking lot. There will be numerous, kiosks at this area, where you buy the shuttle bus tickets.

You can contact cab companies direct,, but I will speculate you're looking in the $35+++ range.

The Mendenhall shuttle buses run at least every hour. More frequently depending on numbers. the shuttle buses load at the tram parking lot. There will be numerous, kiosks at this area, where you buy the shuttle bus tickets.

You can contact cab companies direct,, but I will speculate you're looking in the $35+++ range.

Thank you so much - this looks like a great low-cost option and gives you more time than taking a tour.

There are 2 different shuttles that run out to the glacier. I have done research for my Alaska trip in August and there is a blue and white shuttle. They both charge $20 each way. If you only buy a shuttle ticket one way than you can take any available shuttle back. It's an easy walk to the glacier and falls and with a private shuttle you can spend as much time as you like. Take time and see the film in the visitors center and if you have a National Park Senior Pass remember to bring it. The shuttle info can be found by searching the internet as I did.

Tom:)

There are 2 different shuttles that run out to the glacier. I have done research for my Alaska trip in August and there is a blue and white shuttle. They both charge $20 each way. If you only buy a shuttle ticket one way than you can take any available shuttle back. It's an easy walk to the glacier and falls and with a private shuttle you can spend as much time as you like. Take time and see the film in the visitors center and if you have a National Park Senior Pass remember to bring it. The shuttle info can be found by searching the internet as I did.

Tom:)

$20 round trip. MGT and Frontier shuttles

The "walk" to the falls, is over a mile, so may not be "easy" for some. There is no "to the glacier" access from this side. You can see the glacier, easily, a few steps after getting off the shuttle bus.

$20 round trip. MGT and Frontier shuttles

The "walk" to the falls, is over a mile, so may not be "easy" for some. There is no "to the glacier" access from this side. You can see the glacier, easily, a few steps after getting off the shuttle bus.

Thanks it's $20 RT or $10 each way. As I suggested before buy only a one way ticket so you can come back on which shuttle comes first.

Tom😎