Cunard waitlist protocols?

maybealexislost

Hi!

First time starting a thread here so apologies in advance if I'm doing anything wrong...

My partner and I are booked on a transatlantic crossing this summer westbound from Southampton to NYC. Like just about everyone, I'd assume, we'd love an upgrade — happy to pay the difference in fares also, and we've been told we're #1 on the waitlist should there be a cancelation for a suite in the class we're hoping to jump up to. Here's the rub:

On the westbound crossing there is currently no availability (hence the waitlist) but for the transatlantic Southampton--Southampton roundtrip, of which our westbound leg is the first half, there is availability — which would suggest there are suites still not booked, but that they're just being held back from sale right now. I'm sure Cunard are waiting in the hope(s) people will purchase the suites at a higher price for the roundtrip, which is fair enough I can begrudgingly admit — I'm wondering if the savvy minds/regular Cunarders here know at what point, if at all, before departure they'll hopefully decide it's not worth waiting anymore for this "potential" profit and release the cabins for the crossing separately, as such!?

I've tried calling to explain this to customer service (AKA please let me give you more money, Cunard :p) but have struggled getting a straight explanation that goes beyond "ooh, you are #1 on the waitlist and that's great, so hold tight!"

I am not sure if this helps. We are on the 3 May TA. A 'sold out' trip and received an upgrade fron Cunard on Monday (7 sailing days away). You are offering to pay so I am sure that takes priority over free upgrades. Hope you get want and hear soon.