Bit of a Blog : Rhapsody : B2B : Singapore - Dubai - Istanbul : May 3rd 2015

It's now 130pm and to say the least today has been 'interesting'.

Quick recap to last night..... I was in the queue for GS (can't remember why) and ran into some CC friends who had a Gratuities Amendment form. They had leftover OBC and were distributing it via the form. You know who you are. I love you x As opposed to the person who was refusing to pay their Pre Paid gratuities and wanted to self distribute. I am hoping that your intention was to pay all those people personally the very minimum at least. I am a cynic though.....

Back to this morning.

There was no getting off pre 9am as requested for me. I headed up to deck 9 for breakfast where they had a Park Cafe hot food buffet as well as a reduced regular fare offering. No freshly squeezed OJ today.... or yet rather.

I eventually join the queue and get the ominous red flashing sign on the screen for my sea pass card. 'You need to get your passport from GS'. I respond that I don't. 'Yes you do.' Now here's the thing. I've already been in line at GS as I'd not received a final bill.... it should be $$00.00... in the line was a couple (consecutive cruisers) who had been sent back by security as their cash account hadn't been settled..... they didn't actually have a cash account.... there was also someone who hadn't received their new seapass card.... I was not about to go back to GS. I told the security lady that I do not need my passport and I am getting off. She argued saying it says here that you do. People behind me confirm that I don't need it..... I am allowed off and my new seapass card is bleeped through.

The vendors for the HOHO are undercutting each other by the time I get there. I jump in a cab to head to a specific mall for something specific and head back (much cheaper than the HOHO; the free shuttles don't go to this mall and it turns out neither do the HOHO's). I make some purchases from the little shops in the terminal.... boarding has started.... there are duty free cigarettes to be had there if anyone is interested.

My new seapass card doesn't have a sticker to show my included drinks. Now it's registered I go to the desk where the packages are being sold to have that discussion.... I then go to GS and have the discussion. I then go to my room to get the confirmation from RCL that shows I have the package. The card is returned to me with the sticker on. Lovely GS chap says we'll let the bar manager sort it out. I don't have my passport back as it is to be stamped by Dubai passport control or something along those lines..... will see what there is when it's returned along with those of the other consecutive cruisers.

I can access my room pre 1pm as I know to open the fire door. There is an elderly gent at GS with a white cane, consecutive cruiser, who is unable to open the fire door on his deck so he can access his room. If I can understand him why didn't the GS girl talking to him? She says he can't until 1pm. He says he has meds there and he should be able to get in..... he has become upset and frustrated. I can't keep shtum. I reiterate to her he is a consecutive cruiser and should be able to access his room. I see the penny visibly drop.

There are new cruisers at GS also experiencing issues with their included drinks packages.

Have loved having the ship to myself. Have read a bit, walked about a bit, just enjoyed the quiet.

Consecutive cruisers lunch wasn't very well attended. I would say less than a 100 of us. There was a specific, very limited, menu.... a couple walked out as there was no tutti salad.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Enjoying following your travels, as always, Linda :)

Don't know if you have set plans for Israel, but ours have changed and we will be around while you are here, so drop me an email if you want to try getting together.

Looking forward to your next installment!

Ruth

Edited by happy trailer

Heading towards Muscat, Oman. Temp anticipated to be over 100F / 34C

I owe the blog a bunch of Compasses. Directing you to the front page of the one for today; makes for out of the norm interesting reading.

They have provided us with details of the shuttle services at the ports of call on this leg..... i don't recall seeing one on the previous leg.... would have been really useful. They will be charging $15 for the round trip shuttle out of Ashdod port.

DAY 14 RH Cruise Compass, Dubai, May 16.indd.pdf

DAY 1 RH Cruise Compass, Dubai, May 17.indd.pdf

DAY 2 RH Cruise Compass, Muscat, May 18.indd.pdf

Enjoying following your travels, as always, Linda :)

Don't know if you have set plans for Israel, but ours have changed and we will be around while you are here, so drop me an email if you want to try getting together.

Looking forward to your next installment!

royal

Ruth

Boker tov!

Have booked the ship transfer to Jerusalem and meeting a friend for lunch. Maybe in the afternoon would be nice...... when I have more info on the shuttle drop off and times I'll drop you an email.

There were no Friday night services offered by Royal last cruise....first ship I've been on without. I have bumped into others who would have appreciated one.

Here is my itinerary for today, am joining a CC group

I will meet you at the gate of the port by 13:00( The earlier you come out the best)

13:05: We will start our after noon half day city tour by driving to Opera house for a photo stop via beach road.

13:30: Opera House for Photo Stop

14:00: The tour continue to Grand Mosque Splendour of Unique Islamic Architecture (Photo stop only outside) I will also tell you in brief about Islam as religion and the roles of mosques in Islam.

14:45: We will drive to Mountain side within Muscat area for more Photo stops,

15:30: Next drive will lead to Bait Al Zubair Museum (Bait = house of Al Zubair), where you will get to know the country's Culture, Tradition and Heritage.

16:45: We will head to our last Photo stop at The Al Alam Palace and two forts which were built in 16 century by Portuguese who colonized Oman coast.

17:00: Our tour ends at Muttrah Souk one of the oldest Market in the Region, where you will mingle with locals and buy souvenirs to your loved ones the price match every budget.

17:45: Drive back to the Port.

18:00: Drop at the Gate.

We are headed into Jew Town

DSCN3442.jpg

We stop for a cool drink

DSCN3443.jpg

I'm quoting here from a leaflet we were given.

Kerala is one of the most egalitarian societies in the country. Untouchability has been eradicated in the state, lower castes have access to education, shrines and transport. There are mainly three religions in Kerala - Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. According to the 1991 census 57.38% of the population of Kerala is Hindu, 23.33% Muslim and 19.32% Christian.

There are 8 Jews.

DSCN3444.jpg

The synagogue is approaching its 450th anniversary.

We are not permitted to take photographs inside the synagogue. These are photos of postcards i purchased.

DSCN3495.jpg

The floor tiles are from China.... we are barefoot so as not to damage them.

DSCN3496.jpg

DSCN3445.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN3458.jpg

I shop in here.... the rule is to bargain... they tell you the price.... you tell them the price....they tell you a new price.... you tell them a new price.... you agree somewhere down the line....

DSCN3460.jpg

DSCN3461.jpg

I have asked if we can drive by the Jewish Cemetery

DSCN3462.jpg

DSCN3463.jpg

The Portuguese explorer Vasco Da Gama died in Kochi in 1524. He was originally buried in St Francis Church, which is our next stop. His remains were subsequently relocated to Lisbon.

DSCN3467.jpg

DSCN3473.jpg

The pic I took of the interior is not worthy of posting.

His original resting place

DSCN3469.jpg

DSCN3470.jpg

DSCN3471.jpg

Boker tov!

Have booked the ship transfer to Jerusalem and meeting a friend for lunch. Maybe in the afternoon would be nice...... when I have more info on the shuttle drop off and times I'll drop you an email.

Sounds good- looking forward to meeting you :)

Translations next!

DSCN3446.jpg

I'd appreciate a translation of this please

DSCN3447.jpg

Not quite sure if you needed a translation of both-

The first one is accurately translated in the plaque below it.

The second one says 'Black on White in memory of the destruction of the Temple,' followed by the name of the donor and family.

Kerala is one of the most egalitarian societies in the country. Untouchability has been eradicated in the state, lower castes have access to education, shrines and transport. There are mainly three religions in Kerala - Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. According to the 1991 census 57.38% of the population of Kerala is Hindu, 23.33% Muslim and 19.32% Christian.

There are 8 Jews.

My understanding is that most of the Cochin Jews moved to Israel, although (50 years ago!) I had a classmate in elementary school whose family had emigrated from Cochin to NJ.

My understanding is that most of the Cochin Jews moved to Israel, although (50 years ago!) I had a classmate in elementary school whose family had emigrated from Cochin to NJ.

From a booklet I purchased : Among the reasons for emigration the highest importance is given to religious sentiment and lack of marriage partners, followed by better employment opportunities...... it adds : History can reveal that their emigration was not motivated by intolerance or descrimination (sic) by Government nor by external political or social pressure but their deep sense of religious fervour to live and die in the Holy Land.

Thanks for the translations!

Our papers are deeply scrutinised

DSCN3481.jpg

It has not been possible to purchase rupees in many countries prior to embarkation. There is an official exchange on the pier. All traders encountered ere more than happy to accept US $

DSCN3484.jpg

Sailing away

DSCN3486.jpg

One of my table mates has had a henna tattoo whilst ashore

DSCN3487.jpg

An Indian sunset

DSCN3488.jpg

At dinner we are entertained by a crew member singing accompanied by a colleague. As I look down I see..... this.... he's carried everywhere on board....

DSCN3489.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Was an absolutely amazing day.

We drove about 75Km away from Muscat to a hilltop village long deserted, built 500 years ago.... called Fanjah. High look out points protecting the lower buildings from attack by unfriendly neighbours.

We felt the heat. We saw beautiful buildings and Mosques. We smelt frankincense. At sailaway we heard the call to prayer. I touched some beautiful fabrics and tried on jewellery in the amazing market. A real feast for the senses. Our guide, Nasser, was amazing. Will post his details (they are in my room) later.

This gives a rough idea of the ground we covered. Scenery was rocky dessert as opposed to sandy. Flat roofed buildings. Palm trees. Luxurious resorts; marinas.

Capture.jpg

We are currently unable to go outside on deck; from sunset to sunrise; all windows are to be curtained and balcony lights to be switched off. For the next 4 nights I believe. We have a safe haven drill tomorrow.