Bit of a Blog : Rhapsody : B2B : Singapore - Dubai - Istanbul : May 3rd 2015

My hotel is on the lake, and my room overlooks the fountains. So you thank I should walk over to the Address, and not set on my Balcony?

Hi - I must admit I have never heard of Burj Residence Hotel ( and neither has DH & he is in the hotel business). The only ones I know of are serviced apartments?

The Address serves booze.....you can only buy alcohol in hotels, so you will not be able to drink unless you have your own supply of duty free! The Address wins for me for that reason alone LOL.

Because there is so much construction work everywhere I would not plan on walking - cabs are plentiful and cheap.

I believe we are on the AL transatlantic together in October! See you then.

Now, back to Norbert....

Edited by little britain

Hi - I must admit I have never heard of Burj Residence Hotel ( and neither has DH & he is in the hotel business). The only ones I know of are serviced apartments?

The Address serves booze.....you can only buy alcohol in hotels, so you will not be able to drink unless you have your own supply of duty free! The Address wins for me for that reason alone LOL.

Because there is so much construction work everywhere I would not plan on walking - cabs are plentiful and cheap.

Now, back to Norbert....

Sorry, my hotel is next to the Residence, I'm at Ramada Downtown Dubai

Edited by Spring

Now, back to Norbert....

Back in my room to recharge the laptop.

People who were in the 'Shall We Dance' Lounge had to go into the conference room there during the Safe Haven drill...... questions have arisen about how it would be handled in WJ / MDR with many people to relocate.

About half the people who signed up for the CC MDR lunch actually showed.

Am going to take a walk and see what is going on on deck 9 with regards to look outs. Deck 5 has security out with binoculars. A friendly crew member has told me that private security is already on board....

I'm Norbert's niece btw... was the first cruise I did with him on Indy turned me on to cruising and posting about it. So it's not my fault. :p

Thanks for sharing the information on the ship's activities during your passage in the Gulf of Aden. Sounds like RC has a good plan.

Enjoying the photos of India. My son recently returned from a two week business trip to India (his first to India). As usual no time for touring - only business. I will share some of your photos with him.

BTW we enjoy the British humor. Some of our favorite TV shows!

Debbie

Currently sat in Schooner bar...... lights are on..... ok dimmed for evening..... no curtains...... am I a sitting target sat in the window?

Just ordered a Bailey's. Pretty soon the lack of drapes won't bother me!! I've not had to sign for it...... erm.....

Here's what I'm doing with a couple of friends tomorrow in Salalah

Drive towards east. On the way to Taqa, you will pass by the Royal Farm and Marmura Palace the village is known for Dried Sardines, traditional & old Dhofari Houses. A very interesting castle can be seen here in this spot the former official residence of the Waliâ (Governor) of the region & obtain a glimpse into the rich history of the. To the East of Taqa lies the ruin of Sumhurum (Khor Rori),The city was the easternmost outpost of the Hadramawt Kingdom on the ancient incense route between the Mediterranean Sea, Persian Gulf and India. Khor Rori was an important port on the coast of Dhofar, and one of the major trading cities with frankincense, believed to have been the hub & harbour for the shipping of Frankincense (UNESCO World Heritage site) this place is believed to be the palace of the famous Queen sheba.

A drive along the coastal road leads you to Mirbat the old city of Arabian horses and slave trade. Now you will have a photo stop at Bin Ali Mosque (dates back to the 14th century), visit Mirbat Castle and the Old Merchant Houses, heading to Salalah, you will see home of Jebalis with their camel and cattle herds. The last stop will be at natural spring of Ain Razat "a beautiful park surrounded by hills" located At the foot of the Qara mountains., Oman.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Couldn't log on this morning with my laptop so have come to the D lounge for a quick update. Was not so easy to get on here either. Popping more pics up will have to wait a bit, sorry Ron.

I'd heard about a letter that was delivered to rooms on Day 1 of this cruise but I didn't get one; then last night it was mentioned that Capt Gustavo would be talking on the TV about it after Graham's breakfast show. So at midnight I watched it. The Capt gave a full explanation with a map about the process. I called GS to get sight of the letter and she said it would be delivered. It hadn't by this morning so I went to GS... at 0715 they were just drawing the curtains on Deck 5 Centrum. She said the letter was with housekeeping which really isn't any use if the drill is at 1030.... but still.... they had piles of them out on the counter in 3 languages.

This may sound crazy but I'm concerned about going into details..... they're not much and pretty obvious really. He talks about lookouts and evasive action. He mentioned 'full speed' on the TV. On hearing the code word 'Safe Haven' further announcements will be given, people in Inside Rooms can stay there. People with balconies and OV are to go into the corridors. People in lounges will be directed by staff away from windows.

I've not seen any barbed wire or water cannon..... was that comment earlier for real?

Will let you know how the drill goes.

Hello Linda,

we left the ship in Dubai (to fly to Istanbul where we are now) but am still following your blog so feel as if I am still on the cruise. lol

re security, we did a similar cruise last December (Italy to Dubai) and we did not have barbed wire but did have water cannons, lookouts and black-outs. we were able to go out on decks, however, every night. everything went well on that cruise so am hoping for smooth sailing for you as well.

Helene

Hello Linda,

we left the ship in Dubai (to fly to Istanbul where we are now) but am still following your blog so feel as if I am still on the cruise. lol

re security, we did a similar cruise last December (Italy to Dubai) and we did not have barbed wire but did have water cannons, lookouts and black-outs. we were able to go out on decks, however, every night. everything went well on that cruise so am hoping for smooth sailing for you as well.

Helene

That'll explain why we can't find you.... we were talking about missing you yesterday!!

I have external security staying in a room in my little corridor. Passed two of them this morning on my way to breakfast. Not actually seen them at work but then again I don't expect to.

A frigate followed us in to Salalah this morning. I didn't see it but friends did and it's parked up near us. We'll be sailing away in daylight today so that should prove interesting.

Hi Linda. Just Fyi. I Am using Rhapsody internet on my phone and the photos are loading nicely .

Lots of security measures. I am glad RCCL has taken precautions . Don't know about you but the last thing I want to hear is "safe haven"

Marci.

Wow what a day. Well half a day. 32 degrees out at one point.

We're in the province of Dhofar, famous for Frankincense and for being the birthplace of the Sultan, Qaboos bin Said after which streets, hospitals etc are named. He has turned around the economy, provides free health care for all Omanis as well as education for all.

What looks like a barren landscape is in fact sleeping. The monsoon season is just around the corner when it will all come back to life. Where India had dogs, Salalah has camels. I eventually stopped taking pictures of them crossing the road, standing by the road, walking by the road and wallowing in water.

We passed a site where weddings are held..... well the bit of the wedding where all the men hang out.... our guide Mohammed said it's quite normal for there to be over 1,000 people at a wedding which is graded by the number of camels slaughtered for feasting on with rice eg a 5 camel wedding....

Totally exhausted my camera battery. Absolutely fascinating history. Very different to the hustle and bustle of Muscat. We had a super guide. This map more or less shows you the route we took and where we ended up.

Capture.jpg

Here's today's Compass.

DAY 4 RH Cruise Compass, Salalah, May 20.indd.pdf

Hi Linda. Just Fyi. I Am using Rhapsody internet on my phone and the photos are loading nicely .

Lots of security measures. I am glad RCCL has taken precautions . Don't know about you but the last thing I want to hear is "safe haven"

Marci.

Am currently in the Viking Crown. Been catching up on emails etc..... not tried uploading from here..... here goes x

/thinks.... maybe my images are too big.... hmm...

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We are now on a very long drive to the Thousand Pillars Temple in Moodabidri. We pass what appears to be a cement / tile works.

DSCN3592.jpg

DSCN3593.jpg

DSCN3595.jpg

We pass through lush forests; the incessant horn sounding and swerving to avoid collision is about par for the course. Narrow, uncared for roads leading to a bumpy, uncomfortable ride. I cannot believe how my back has held out. I shouldn't talk. Sssssh.

DSCN3596.jpg

DSCN3597.jpg

DSCN3599.jpg

Thank you for your great post. I love reading it and see your pictures. We will be on the Rhapsody on June 12th and I wanted to know if you could take the time to answer two questions for me:

Is the on-board library well stocked or should I bring my own books? I read most anything.

We are going to be in a deck 2 ocean view cabin. Do you know if the portholes are small round ones or the larger square ones. The outside pictures I have seen of the Rhaposdy show portholes, but I am not sure if this is crew deck or if they are on the first passenger deck.

Thank you for taking care of the Rhapsody unitll we get there,

Thank you for your great post. I love reading it and see your pictures. We will be on the Rhapsody on June 12th and I wanted to know if you could take the time to answer two questions for me:

Is the on-board library well stocked or should I bring my own books? I read most anything.

We are going to be in a deck 2 ocean view cabin. Do you know if the portholes are small round ones or the larger square ones. The outside pictures I have seen of the Rhaposdy show portholes, but I am not sure if this is crew deck or if they are on the first passenger deck.

Thank you for taking care of the Rhapsody unitll we get there,

Salut!

I was in in Avignon with my Uncle Norbert on a river cruise a couple of years ago. Beautiful place.

Currently sat in the Viking Crown. There's a lot of vibration up here..... not sure if it's because we are motoring or if it's rough out or it's normal and just my imagination.

Here's a view of the ship...... the open deck you can see below the life rafts is deck 5 so count down and those are the portholes.... as for the library..... huh... there are a few shelves of books on deck 6 along with board games. There is no longer a library. I brought my own. Currently reading 'Even in Darkness' by Barbara Stark-Nemon.

DSCN3371.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

That's about top speed I believe.

Got up to 23.4kts..... actually it's continually fluctuating.... which I would expect.....

As an aside : Dolphins were spotted as we left Salalah..... I didn't see them but a friend took pics.... ooooh and this morning I watched the raising of the RCL flag on the bow on the TV... background music was a classical version of 'Waltzing Matilda'.