using drivers license....

Liza555

A family group recently cruised and I'm pretty sure at least one member had had an issue with their D/L (couldn't change the address due to some owed fines or something) that was not resolved prior to the cruise. They had no problems boarding the ship with the D/L and Birth Certificate.

If that's what you're worried about, I think you'll be OK. Just sayn'...

Now, I'm intrigued... Planning on using a fake ID? Or??

Haha. Yeah. I'm intrigued also.

My thoughts exactly

Perhaps we should be checking America's Most Wanted tonight :cool:

Edited by lizardhowson

I had a DL at one point that got so warped from heat or who-knows-what, it was almost impossible to scan. A couple of clubs that I used to go to in those days used a scanner to weed out college kids with fake IDs, and they always had a field day with my DL.

I asked the question on cruise critic for a friend (I have a passport) that is wanting to go on a cruise and asked me the question and since I don't use a drivers license I did not know the answer.

Her concern is this. Several years ago she got a speeding ticket in another state from where she lives, and she says she paid the ticket and forgot all about it. A while back she was stopped by DPS in her state and was told that when they looked up her license it showed that the ticket she had gotten several years ago in that other state had not been paid and was out standing, and that "technically" her license was not valid. The DPS did nothing about it, and just gave her license back to her. Recently she was stopped by a local cop for a routine insurance check etc..., and they never said anything to her about an issue with her license. Her license does not expire until next year so she has no idea if it will show up at that point.

She just wanted to know what the chance was that Carnival would be able to see the unpaid ticket and if it would cause a problem if they did.

Of course my advice to her was number 1 get a passport and number 2 get the issue with the ticket cleared up ASAP (which I get is hard to do as she doesn't really know how to go about it since she no longer has any of the paperwork). She is looking at a cruise in early June, and does not want to pay the fee to get a passport and the extra fee to expedite one :)

Carnival may not give a DL much scrutiny, but if you have to go through Customs on your return, it could get scanned there.

Outstanding warrants or other things swept into the dark corners of ones life can emerge.

I asked the question on cruise critic for a friend (I have a passport) that is wanting to go on a cruise and asked me the question and since I don't use a drivers license I did not know the answer.

Her concern is this. Several years ago she got a speeding ticket in another state from where she lives, and she says she paid the ticket and forgot all about it. A while back she was stopped by DPS in her state and was told that when they looked up her license it showed that the ticket she had gotten several years ago in that other state had not been paid and was out standing, and that "technically" her license was not valid. The DPS did nothing about it, and just gave her license back to her. Recently she was stopped by a local cop for a routine insurance check etc..., and they never said anything to her about an issue with her license. Her license does not expire until next year so she has no idea if it will show up at that point.

She just wanted to know what the chance was that Carnival would be able to see the unpaid ticket and if it would cause a problem if they did.

Of course my advice to her was number 1 get a passport and number 2 get the issue with the ticket cleared up ASAP (which I get is hard to do as she doesn't really know how to go about it since she no longer has any of the paperwork). She is looking at a cruise in early June, and does not want to pay the fee to get a passport and the extra fee to expedite one :)

Your friend is mistaken or not being completely upfront with you. There is a law which created a "compact" that most of the states in the US belong to. If one state exercises it's option to proceed with enforcement against driving privileges , the enforcement is done via the home state Motor Vehicle Bureau of the violator. So, the home state would actually handle the enforcement for the state where the violation occurred. One state cannot revoke a license issued in another state except by working through the issuing state. But, that state can issue enforcement orders (pick-up/arrest) if the violator is caught driving in the state where the violation occurred.