Azura 31st August...what to expect?

So, on a whim, after the worst year of our lives, my husband booked us a cruise on the Azura the end of August. The thing is, we've never cruised, we have two young boys (3+12yrs) and no amount of googling is really preparing me for what to expect, which is exciting but I must add there are concerns (I'm alone with) about the date! Does anybody have an idea wether my kids will be a major minority at this time and if so will we be looked down upon (yes I care to much about stupid things) will there be many other similar aged folk in their mid 30's, I personally am an old soul and fit in with more a mature crowd but at the same time if everybody was Victor Meldrewing myself and kids I'd be gutted, haha.

Another question is are the children restricted from particular restaurants, bars, theatre shows etc

Many thanks, I hope I haven't come across as an oap basher.

You will have a fantastic time, my kids enjoyed the Azura. Not sure about the select restaurants and kids but all other eating places are kid friendly. There is the odd bar they can't go into. There are great kids clubs but the kids will be in different ones because of the ages. My kids didn't want to go to them and hung around with us. There are kids on nearly every family cruise ship. Depending when the school term starts will determine the amount. It is lovely to get dressed up even the kids and have some lovely photos taken. There is a lovely pool and outside screen. Not sure which cruise you are on, so can't help with ports.

If you have any questions just ask there is always someone who can answer. :-)

Thanks lots Spidey :-) thats good to know! We are visiting Madeira, Lisbon, Gran canaria, tenerife, Vigo and Lanzarote. I forgot to ask about formal evenings and 3yr olds? Haha! Is it something people do (attempt ;-) ) or is that just for the bigger kids :-)

Thanks again

For the formal eve you can sign the younger into a club and enjoy the eve. It all depends on whether they like dressing up. Mine were a bit older, but lots go with younger children there will be someone who can advise. The ports sound lovely I assume it is a 12-14 night cruise? I think they have 4 formal eves.

Hi, so sorry you've had a tough year but you now have something great to look forward to.

We did our 1st cruise last year and I was so worried and read everything I could find about all sorts but it was a fantastic experience, I don't know what I was fretting about!

And I'm on the same cruise! Join us in the roll call section and I'm sure you can find others on board with young children. Although we are (only!) 40 our 'kids' are over 18 now but as a child-free temporary lady of leisure I personally still like to pick family friendly holidays and have no intention of going on the 'adult only' ships .... Yet !

We went on Oceana last year & found the kids onboard charming but practically invisible as they are so well entertained. I did see them on mass once during their percussion performance which was really good and I enjoyed watching. Mind you, I do run a brownie pack and am used to the little darlings [emoji38]

Most good natured people will have nothing against your kids and if they look down on you then shame on them, they are the ones booked on a family friendly ship! Please don't worry, just look forward to it ... It's only 114 sleeps [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

We went on our first cruise on Azura over the New Year. I loved it and the 2 kids (aged 2 and 9 at the time) loved it! My 9 yo we couldn't get out of kids club but my 2yo was a bit clingy at the time so wouldn't use it as much as we wouldve liked. She enjoyed it when she was there though. The guys in the kids clubs were fantastic.

We used kids tea in one of the buffet restaurants mostly because my son wanted to go back to kids club and it was a better time for our little one. There was a good choice of kiddie food, so it was better for our youngest who didn't really like much in the MDR, then she would just sit and munch on a bread roll while we had our meal.

We also didn't notice any victor meldrews on board and the age demographic was varied.

Have a lovely cruise!

Myself and my wife cruised the Canaries,Madeira and Vigo last October on the Emerald Princess (2nd cruise)

The weather is generally 70' to 80' , look out for Madeira and Gran Canaria (lovely beach)......we loved those stops especially.

We are both 47, and love having children around, hence the reason we are booked on P&O Ventura in September

Believe me, everyone has fears on their first cruise, most of them disappear as soon as you get aboard.....you will have a fantastic time, and so will all of your family!!

Steve n Wendy

It is a bit daunting after booking and before your cruise begins. It's a good time to do your research though and plan how you might make best use of your time ashore - and the forums are an excellent source of advice should you wish.

But once you've checked in, everything quickly slots into place - information on the day's activities/programme of events is available in your daily ship's newspaper, the destinations information and presentations on board can help you to decide what you most want to do (even if you then DiY) and other passengers can be an interesting and valuable source of help and advice. Within a very short time you will find your way around - and wonder what on earth you were apprehensive about! It's a great way to holiday. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time - enjoy the anticipation. It sounds as though you can do with something exciting to look forward to. Have a great time. :)

Hi, so sorry to hear about your rough time but know the excitement of looking forward to your cruise will give you something lovely to think about.

With regards to formal evenings, we sometimes take ours for photos and into dinner, but invariably the part of kids club that they really want to goto starts mid-way through dinner. One of us runs them up as it's easier on everyone, we get to carry on with dinner without rushing and they can have a great time!

We arrange select dining around kids club timetables, as well as late sail outs, as 17 has an outside dining area for a great view!

There will be a variety of ages and I'm sure that you will have a fantastic time!!

We've cruised at that time of year and there weren't many children onboard. Now with the new regulations about no holidays during term time in state schools it's likely there will be even less.

Azura is a lovely ship with so much to do for both adults and children and as others have said the Kids Clubs are great. Don't let the name put your older one off as there are number of clubs and each club is fora different age range and they meet in different rooms, doing quite different activities. You can read about it here on the P&O website:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/childrens_club

Thankyou all so much! :-)

This is a huge holiday for me and I'm hoping the sun will help my health haha. I've just learnt the father in law and his partner maybe joining us now (he's a cruise expert hooray) we didn't know he'd tried & tested the Azura numerous times, doh! So that will be helpful ;-)

Yes we holiday during school time but I don't think this will make much of a difference in regards to 3yr olds as nurseries are more lenient haha, our eldest will just probably be grateful not to have to fight over the computer consoles available haha :-)

Thanks again, p.s I've been put on a special diet by my psyhician and I can see that going out the porthole come cruise time!