Photo Review April/May 2015: Disney, Eclipse TA, London

Lisah101

Do you mind sharing the name of your car service from Southhampton to London? Also cost and size of car for the 4 of you.

The shuttle company I used was Smith's for Airports out of Southampton. We had 2 quotes

4 people was 150 + 14.50 congestion charge due to the location of our hotel.

6 people was 180 + 14.50 congestion charge.

All in British Pounds.

So.... in London we were dropped off in front of the Waldorf and checked in. They brought the bags up to the room, I took a few photos, then we headed downstairs to ask directions to the Tower of London.

IMG_3920.jpg

We asked directions to the Tower of London and they offered to get us a cab. I declined and wanted to walk. I had mapped it out and knew it wasn't a bad walk, just had to get my bearings.

Loved the walk! But... about halfway there we both started lagging. Realizing it was 2 pm and we had forgotten to eat lunch, we did the sensible thing and stopped at a cupcake shop in a tube station somewhere. I could see it from the street and there was no way we were passing it by!

Salted Caramel Chocolate and no... I didn't share, Terry had to get his own.

IMG_3933.jpg

Included in the admission price was a short guided tour. One had just started so we joined in. They indicated they had to have 20+ years in the military as a specific rank to qualify for to interview as a guide.

IMG_3938.jpg

We had a great time, but were really tired. We ended up chatting with 2 different couples at length and asked one of them the easiest way to get back to the hotel - we were thinking of taking the tube. It turns out a taxi was faster and cheaper!

And...the taxi driver owned a Porsche 911 and a second home in Spain, so the guys talked Porsches the whole way back to the hotel.

I asked for dinner recommendations when we entered the lobby and they were happy to oblige. When we went to our room, I googled the restaurant (Yeah free internet!). The restaurant was very nice, upscale and we didn't feel like dressing so we went back downstairs and asked about a pub nearby for dinner. They sent us to the end of the street and we found our favorite place!

The Wellington

IMG_3984.jpg

Dinner was a shared order of fish and chips with a side of mac and cheese. It was so good I forgot to take a photo. We did have salted caramel profiteroles for dessert and they were awesome!

IMG_3950.jpg

I pulled the Le Havre port guide they gave us and there was no information on it about a shuttle. It did say the average cost of a cab to the town center was 10 Euros and the drivers only take cash.

Sorry - I wasn't paying attention to the shuttle option in France.

OK - helps if I read the whole thing - there is a blurb on the top that says the shuttle to down is free and runs every 30 minutes. I"ll try to scan it later and post for reference.

The next morning we head down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. The continental breakfast was free since I stayed at Hilton enough this year to qualify for status.

Breakfast was very good - my first plate.

IMG_3954.jpg