Adventure of The Seas Photo Review 4/19/2015 (S.Caribbean B)

Hi Kathy! Oho! I wondered if we would sneak into your review :p We are the brightly colored line of gentlemen in the front row to the left :cool:

Thanks for letting me relive this awesome trip through your pictures! Turns out we were two decks directly above you, 9692.

Hey Kyle! And other fun colorful guys! You guys looked like you had SO much fun on that cruise - a few times DD was ready to leave us, her fusty old parents, and join y'all! ;) The ice show was one of those times! It was honestly one of our funniest cruises ( I know ...not a word!) we've had on Royal. It was such a great mix of people, the weather was great except that one little deluge in Barbados, and the "vibe" on the ship was just fun without being drunken slobs!

Now that I'm home from Adventure and Cuba (see our blog for photos) I've been madly booking the next trips! I've booked Navigator for this early winter, Western Caribbean, but it's still a maybe. Adventure made me remember how much we love this class of ship and we got an aft balcony again which makes me slightly more inclined to go, but not loving the itinerary. I also booked another Azamara (we had Panama Canal and CR on Journey for this Feb already booked) for way out in 2017- Croatia and Italy (with Montenegro, Greece, and Slovenia in there for good measure) Its a very cool itinerary, but so very far away, they will likely charter it before it sails and cancel our reservation, so I'm not getting my hopes up :(

What's next for your colorful crew? Happy sailing wherever you may be next!

Hey Kyle! And other fun colorful guys! You guys looked like you had SO much fun on that cruise - a few times DD was ready to leave us, her fusty old parents, and join y'all! ;) The ice show was one of those times! It was honestly one of our funniest cruises ( I know ...not a word!) we've had on Royal. It was such a great mix of people, the weather was great except that one little deluge in Barbados, and the "vibe" on the ship was just fun without being drunken slobs!

Now that I'm home from Adventure and Cuba (see our blog for photos) I've been madly booking the next trips! I've booked Navigator for this early winter, Western Caribbean, but it's still a maybe. Adventure made me remember how much we love this class of ship and we got an aft balcony again which makes me slightly more inclined to go, but not loving the itinerary. I also booked another Azamara (we had Panama Canal and CR on Journey for this Feb already booked) for way out in 2017- Croatia and Italy (with Montenegro, Greece, and Slovenia in there for good measure) Its a very cool itinerary, but so very far away, they will likely charter it before it sails and cancel our reservation, so I'm not getting my hopes up :(

What's next for your colorful crew? Happy sailing wherever you may be next!

We really did have so much fun! That ice show was great! I thought by far the best among the Oasis and Freedom ice shows I saw previously. The performers were great. I think our whole group got a little fired up haha. We took over the Champagne Bar every night before late seating for a drink... I'm not so sure the other people trying to get a drink there liked us as much! :p

The same group will be sailing Jewel next February on the other southern Caribbean (A?) itinerary, but we won't be joining them. Alex and I are straying from Royal for a few cruises coming up... A quick Bahamas 3-nighter in October on Norwegian Sky, then Carnival Breeze in January for my 30th birthday. After that we have Harmony of the Seas in Dec. 2016! We booked that one onboard Adventure, and then ended up saving over $1100 when Royal offered a new promo about a month later. We couldn't believe it.

The verdict on the aft balcony... we liked it, but probably won't book one again. The size and view was great, but with only one sea day it just didn't seem like we had enough time to spend out there. The walk was a bit much, too, we think we prefer a bit more of a centrally located spot. So a little less competition for your aft balconies :)

CUBA, huh??? I will have to catch up on your blog because I want to hear all about it. I can't wait to travel there one of these days soon. I'm also curious to hear your thoughts on Azamara. I've watched a few shows about it (Dream Cruises or maybe a Mighty Ships episode?) and I think maybe it would be a consideration in the long run.

I'm glad to hear you have a few in the works :) I won't lie I felt a little sadness at the end of your review when you mentioned it may be awhile before your next! Seemed like something was wrong with the world if familygoboston didn't have a cruise in the pipeline.

We really did have so much fun! That ice show was great! I thought by far the best among the Oasis and Freedom ice shows I saw previously. The performers were great. I think our whole group got a little fired up haha. We took over the Champagne Bar every night before late seating for a drink... I'm not so sure the other people trying to get a drink there liked us as much! :p

The same group will be sailing Jewel next February on the other southern Caribbean (A?) itinerary, but we won't be joining them. Alex and I are straying from Royal for a few cruises coming up... A quick Bahamas 3-nighter in October on Norwegian Sky, then Carnival Breeze in January for my 30th birthday. After that we have Harmony of the Seas in Dec. 2016! We booked that one onboard Adventure, and then ended up saving over $1100 when Royal offered a new promo about a month later. We couldn't believe it.

The verdict on the aft balcony... we liked it, but probably won't book one again. The size and view was great, but with only one sea day it just didn't seem like we had enough time to spend out there. The walk was a bit much, too, we think we prefer a bit more of a centrally located spot. So a little less competition for your aft balconies :)

CUBA, huh??? I will have to catch up on your blog because I want to hear all about it. I can't wait to travel there one of these days soon. I'm also curious to hear your thoughts on Azamara. I've watched a few shows about it (Dream Cruises or maybe a Mighty Ships episode?) and I think maybe it would be a consideration in the long run.

I'm glad to hear you have a few in the works :) I won't lie I felt a little sadness at the end of your review when you mentioned it may be awhile before your next! Seemed like something was wrong with the world if familygoboston didn't have a cruise in the pipeline.

I think if you are with a big group, you really wouldn't use that balcony much, but we really use it instead of going out for pre dinner cocktails and instead of the pool on sea days. So you are playing the field? ;) We do too, I really pick by the itineray and the price for what I want.

You are so sweet to mention that you like my reviews, that makes me happy! If it's at all on water, I plan to do a Cruise Critic review, so expect one for Azamara in March! The other land trips - like Cuba, I just do exclusively on my website, and it doesn't have quite the same interplay between myself and readers, which is what I love about CC!

I want to hear all about Harmony, how it's different from its sister ships, and if you storm the champagne bar there too;) have a wonderful summer!

I was supposed to be on this one but had to cancel :(

I do remember! We had a few people on the roll call that had to change plans, people I really would have liked to meet like you and Teeara! It happens though, cruises that "could have been""! I cancellled a Jewel full transit of the PC LA to Fl in October of this year in favor or AZ Journey full transit of the PC Miami to CR in Feb instead. I'm still on the roll call, so I'll be following along in Oct to see what I missed and get tips in the ports I'll visit in the winter.

Maybe we will get to sail together another time! Till then, happy sailing!

Edited by Familygoboston

What hotels are near the cruise ship port? Last year we were on Carnival out of San Juan.

The RCCL ships dock at the Pan American pier, while the Carnival ship I saw in port docked right in Old San Juan. They are across a "bay" from each other, but to get to one from the other by car would require a taxi. The hotels closet to the PA pier, are also those closest to the airport and convention center. If you look for hotels in the "Miramar" area or airport or convention center hotels, they will be the shortest cab ride to the PA pier. It would not be practical to walk the distance, even though you can see the cruise ship terminal from that area.

Unfortunately, those hotels are not particarly "touristy" in that they are not within walking distance to either Old San Juan (where the hotels are located within walking distance of all the shops, galleries, restaurants and attractions) or the beaches. These hotels are handy for a quick overnight before or after a cruise, but most don't feel very "vacationy" (although some have nice pools)

Hotels in Old San Juan are in the old city and while the city is on the ocean (with a nice walk way) they are not "beach hotels". The hotels in Condado are near real beaches and also have restaurants and shops nearby, but are not close to the attractions of old San Juan. You'd need to take a taxi from OSJ and Condado hotles to get to the PA pier for a RCL cruise. I hope that helps! (Btw, there are also hotels at IsLa Verde- I have not stayed here - well once 20 years ago, but that area has some beaches and is a little closer to OSJ, but it's "older, and sometimes cheaper than Condado hotels. )

I hope that helps elucidate what's where, and let you pick a hotel that meets you needs!

• 1 month later...

I'm truly enjoying your review with pictures. I'm planning my 2017 cruise with on the Jewel or Adventure out of San Juan. Since I will be flying in from the west cost (SFO) I really appreciated the review of San Juan. I'm not sure what time of the year in 2017 I will be going, must likely late No/ early Dec, so that I can consider it a late Birthday (end of Sept) and early Christmas gift to myself. Loved the picture of your dog with the suitcases. My cat Muffin when she sees my suitcase open she climbs in it hoping I will that her along with me.

Keep on cruising

Mary

I'm truly enjoying your review with pictures. I'm planning my 2017 cruise with on the Jewel or Adventure out of San Juan. Since I will be flying in from the west cost (SFO) I really appreciated the review of San Juan. I'm not sure what time of the year in 2017 I will be going, must likely late No/ early Dec, so that I can consider it a late Birthday (end of Sept) and early Christmas gift to myself. Loved the picture of your dog with the suitcases. My cat Muffin when she sees my suitcase open she climbs in it hoping I will that her along with me.

Keep on cruising

Mary

I love your screen name, LOL! You should post your own "sad cat" photo as your avatar!

Thank you! We really enjoyed this southern Caribbean route out of San Juan! If you want to read a review about Jewel in November, look for my Jewel Southern Caribbean review linked in my signature. I have some different San Juan activities and hotels reviewed in that review.

Hope you enjoy your birthday Christmas cruise!

I love your screen name, LOL! You should post your own "sad cat" photo as your avatar!

Thank you! We really enjoyed this southern Caribbean route out of San Juan! If you want to read a review about Jewel in November, look for my Jewel Southern Caribbean review linked in my signature. I have some different San Juan activities and hotels reviewed in that review.

Hope you enjoy your birthday Christmas cruise!

I enjoyed this review so much, I'm going to read your November Cruise on the Jewel. I may even read some of the others, because there are many cruises on my bucket list.

Mary

Thank you for the amazing and detailed review. I love all the photos too! I appreciate the time it must have taken you to pull this all together.

We sail AOS Dec 5th, can't wait!!

thank you, hubby is responsible for photos! That will be a wonderful time to go! Not too hot, and not yet too busy! Perfect time of year!

I enjoyed this review so much, I'm going to read your November Cruise on the Jewel. I may even read some of the others, because there are many cruises on my bucket list.

Mary

Thanks Mary! A bucket list is very important;) seriously though, I read through reviews of places or for brochures or travel articles and set them aside until I had a chance to get hat particular trip on my calendar!

If you'd like to read more- I'm including my signature on this post so you can find our website. In addition to shops tours, we have destinations, planning and packing tips, opinion pieces and photo essays, hopefully something to help evryone with planning and arm chair travel!

Edited by Familygoboston

Day 2 Sea Day

A Ship Tour

Since we spent Monday mostly eating and lazing on our balcony, we used the day to blog about our pre cruise adventures in San Juan and take ship photos for this report! I posted a ship tour on our website here:

http://www.goseeittravel.com/adventure-of-the-seas/

It is far easier to load photos and edit there than here, but I will do a mini tour here...more photos on the blog!

From bottom to top, stern to bow..here is

ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS

Deck 3

The Dining Room

160026219.jpg

Deck 3 Vivaldi is the bottom level, deck 4 Strauss, and deck 5 is Mozart (My Time Dining)

160026218.jpg

Photo Gallery

160026220.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just wanted to jump back in and say I have tried twice to get a balcony room , I now have all the numbers down! LOL...Sadly there is only one and it's on the 10th floor under the Windjammer...uh, no thank you...Ill keep my midship balcony...

We (my husband Michael and I) did the Italy/Croatia cruise on the Legend of the Seas. I don't think I will ever top this cruise. It was an amazing time. We loved our Dinnermates and everynight would get back to compare our adventures of the day. The highlight was taking a pre arrainged cab from Dubrovnik into Serbia (Risan to be exact). The glorious mountains of Montenegro were unbelievable. We went there to find family graves (sad story)....met a man in the cemetery that was just cutting through...turns out he knew my husband's family and was best friends with an uncle that died at the age of 18 from TB. "He is not buried here...he was Orthodox"...so we all piled in the car and 87 year old man takes us to a monastery way up in the mountains....and there was Peter's grave. Not a dry eye around us. The rest of the itinerary was equally wonderful....with a detour from Portofino to Genoa....where we went to the aquarium that has a room with all hummingbirds in that...stunned me with their beauty...hundreds of them in there...sorry for being so wordy!!! Joanne

Just wanted to jump back in and say I have tried twice to get a balcony room , I now have all the numbers down! LOL...Sadly there is only one and it's on the 10th floor under the Windjammer...uh, no thank you...Ill keep my midship balcony...

We (my husband Michael and I) did the Italy/Croatia cruise on the Legend of the Seas. I don't think I will ever top this cruise. It was an amazing time. We loved our Dinnermates and everynight would get back to compare our adventures of the day. The highlight was taking a pre arrainged cab from Dubrovnik into Serbia (Risan to be exact). The glorious mountains of Montenegro were unbelievable. We went there to find family graves (sad story)....met a man in the cemetery that was just cutting through...turns out he knew my husband's family and was best friends with an uncle that died at the age of 18 from TB. "He is not buried here...he was Orthodox"...so we all piled in the car and 87 year old man takes us to a monastery way up in the mountains....and there was Peter's grave. Not a dry eye around us. The rest of the itinerary was equally wonderful....with a detour from Portofino to Genoa....where we went to the aquarium that has a room with all hummingbirds in that...stunned me with their beauty...hundreds of them in there...sorry for being so wordy!!! Joanne

Joanne, that's an amazing story!! I can only imagine how emotional that mist have been! I heard a similar story from a woman on the river cruise boards who went to her town of origin and found a priest who went through the birth and death records with them and eventually brought them to the ancestral home! It's amazing isn't it! :D

• 4 weeks later...
a few shots from that time....

Those are wonderful, what an amazing experience!

Where can you find day pass for Antigua and what's a good one

We didn't really do a beach day, the beach we stopped at Valley Church Beach didn't really have "services" (a bar, restrooms, chair rentals etc) it was more of a local beach, lovely but not really set up to cater to tourists. As Bob suggested, others on the port boards might have specific suggestions for beaches with amenities where you could get a day pass. There are certainly plenty! As the Antiguans say they have a beach for every day of the year!

Thanks for this great review! We just booked Adventure with a similar itinerary for September of next year and your review was great research!

Great! That's why I write such detailed reports- I use CC to research my cruises all the time too! Also I have more Antigua photos on my website linked in my signature below: there is a menu of places on the right side of the blog page, just click on the ones that interest you!

You have inspired my family to do Pack for a Purpose for our upcoming November cruise. We weren't sure what to do in St. Kitts so our 7 & 10 year old are going to "give back" and take on this amazing project and opportunity! I think kids become immune to such lavish opportunities such as cruising and we are excited to work this into our vacation. Thank you!!

You have inspired my family to do Pack for a Purpose for our upcoming November cruise. We weren't sure what to do in St. Kitts so our 7 & 10 year old are going to "give back" and take on this amazing project and opportunity! I think kids become immune to such lavish opportunities such as cruising and we are excited to work this into our vacation. Thank you!!

This is so great!! Have you called the sandals where you drop off so they can expect you? ,They can sometimes even arrange a visit to the schools with enough notice. That would be so meaningful for the kids! I agree with you, my kids also grew up in a town where they didn't see too much different from their own experience. It's the travel and connections with people around the world that made them the worldly, well rounded comapsssionate adults they have become! There is nothing like connecting with people in your destination!

If you don't do a review, do at least post an update (maybe photos?) here so I can see how it turned out! What a great thing to do with the kids! Can't wait to hear all about it!