Review-8/26 Millie-Barcelona to Venice

Putz:

Its me again!!Thank you. Even though we're more than a year away we've recently returned from Paris after being away from Europe for about 20 years and we really have the Europe bug again.

In Dubrovnik it looks like we will be sharing the port with Carnival Liberty (HUGE ship) so we'll take your lead and plan on an early wall walk and relax on the ship when it gets too crowded.

Unfortunately we share Santorini with both the Brillance and Wind Spirit, will do the donkeys up (notice my screen name--I'm used to stinky equines) and bus around the island. Did you have any language problems finding a bus to take you where you wanted to go? Did you have problems getting money for the bus? Did you see a sunset from Oia? We're supposed to be there until 11pm, did it seem safe?

Could you see the Acropolis lit up at night from the ship?

We have cabin 7166--starboard side with a balcony slanted on a bump out. From your room on the same deck could you get a nice view of Venice?

Again I appreciate the information, especially the comparison from a HAL customer. I think that we will love this cruise.

Linda

Linda. Paris is another city on my list of places to see...so many places, so little time...and money!

Santorini. No language problems at all and although it seems to be mass confusion on the part of the tourists, it really was easy to find the right bus (just adds to the fun of the vacation). There's a small booth at the bus depot and the gentleman inside didn't speak much English, but all you have to say is Akrotiri or Oia (pronounced eeh-aah) and he'll be able to tell you the time the bus leaves. When it gets close to the time, just mull around with everyone else. The drivers get out of the bus at the station and walk around so just keep asking until you find the right bus number and then re-confirm when you get on that bus. The destination is also noted on the outside of the bus (in English). You purchase your tickets on the bus. Just get on a have a seat. The ticket seller comes through to collect money. You don't need exact change...he has a neat change/ticket machine on his waist so as long as you have smaller bills it fine. They just sell one way tickets so you'll pay again when you return to Fira. I don't know the name of the road the depot was on in Fira. We walked through town for a couple of hours and then made our way away from the cliffs/water. We passed one main street (with traffic) and the bus depot was on the next main street. We just kept asking and finally found it. It would have been not even a 10 minute walk from the aerial car station.

Oia. No, we didn't stay in Oia for the sunset. We were back on the ship. From where we were anchored you couldn't see the sun setting on the water...it went down behind the volcano in the middle of the caldera. Later in the evening we watched the tenderboats returning to the ship and there were a lot of people coming off, so I'm guessing a majority of them were in Oia. I can't see there being any safety issues staying on the island until later...I wouldn't have been concerned. We'd just had a full day and decided to head back to the ship for dinner. I had read that the buses will be full coming back to Fira after sunset so you may have to wait to get on a bus.

Athens. Yes, you could see the Acropolis lit at night...but at approx. 8 miles away it was pretty small! Go up on the highest outside deck for the best view.

Cabin 7166 - I know the cabin...we could see it from our balcony. I'm assuming it was the same width and size as ours, plus it then had a jut out (about 5' extra) so you'll have lots of room. I wouldn't stay in your cabin for sail in to Venice. We went up top by the baseketball court and the views were amazing. When we docked and went down to the cabin you couldn't see nearly as much. The extra height made a world of difference.

I see you're from Pennsylvania. Anywhere close to State College? DH and I have been going there for the past 15 years to flyfish. The Nittany Mountains are beautiful.

Lynn

We're about an hour north of Philly close to Pa Dutch Country. Most of my family has attended Penn State so I know the area well. My aunt lives in Buffalo so I've had a chance to visit your area also. My favorite place is north of the city heading to the UP of Michigan, but I will tell you that I have also seen the Jumbo statue a little west of you!!!

I'm glad you gave the tip about the Venice sail in, I probably would have been tempted to stay in the cabin. So do you want to sign up next year and do it again?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived