Cinque Terre Train Schedules?

Dreamweaver52

We are looking to spend one day visiting Cinque Terre from Genoa.

I've read everything I can here and tried to understand the various train schedules.

I can figure out how to get from Genoa to Monterosso.

I read where the trains run every few minutes between the little towns, how correct is this? We would want to start in Monterosso and then make our way South till it is time to take a train back North to Genova.

Guess I'm looking for a more clear understanding on what "trains run every few minutes means".

HELP! :)

Assuming you are looking at this site?

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Which is the Trenitalia site in English?

Having been to the Cinque Terre, trains run each way thru the 5 towns about every 10-15 minutes. Whether a given train will go to Genova, or you have to connect, will depend on the individual train.

Looking at the schedule, it takes anywhere from 76 minutes, to almost 2 hours. So you are committing a minimum 3 hours on trains for this visit. I like the Cinque Terre, but that is a big train commitment...

This certainly doesn't answer your question but my favorite part of CT was taking the ferry from Monterrosso and sailing past each of the villages. The villages are beautiful but there is something magical about seeing them from the water.

We were in the CT for a few days so we had the luxury of hiking, taking the train, and the ferry. The ferry was far and away the best.

btw, we ended up taking the wrong train one day and got seriously off course, so be very mindful that you're boarding the correct train.

The Summer Italian train schedules will be posted on Trenitalia and Eurail website around 15 June, 2015.

From Genova Principe most trains will only stop at selected stations between there and La Spezia.

So the train service between the villages of the CT Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, Riomaggiore and La Spezia are sort of every 20 - 30 minutes but some stop all stations and some have limited stops .

Best to look up the times from Genova Principe to Monterosso. and return from La Spezia to Genova Principe. For your travels on the tarins within the CT you get timetables from CT Tourist Offices in all 5 stations as well at La Spezia . http://www.parco****onale5terre.it/?id_lingue=2

Ferries from Monterosso - Vernazza - Manarola - Riomaggiore details here

http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/home.asp?lang=eng

NB: In Monterosso the train station is in NEW Monterosso, and ferries operate from the headland in OLD Monterosso. The two halves of Monterosso are joined by a shared use pedestrian/road tunnel .