Regarding Viking River Cruises...

nicksfix

Check out the White Castle web site. According to it they started in 1921 for 5 cents each. The original sliders were holeless. I would guess that in 2021 they will have some kind of a celebration. Hope to be there. Their headquarters is in Columbus, Ohio and I live in a nearby city. :D

Just pulling your leg. It's an old, out of business burger chain that was big in the 50s. Then it went downhill and died. Sort of like Wienerwald, without the rebirth. :p

ETA: The picture is an old Philly location, right by a subway stop. Subway as in UBahn, not sandwich shop.

When I was a kid in the '50s in Philly I would sometimes accompany my Dad who was a "breadman" - the guy who delivered bread and pastries to homes and businesses. He had a number of White Towers on his route and we always ended up at one for lunch.

Thanks for the memories,

FH

My wife and I just returned from a Tauck, Rhine River cruise and I doubt it can be beat. The all inclusive nature of their river cruises made the trip effortless and completely satisfying. The level of service that Tauck provides from airport pick ups and returns (even if you go early and stay late) is a fantastic perk at no extra cost. The attention to detail at every level of the cruise was amazing and while wine and food are individual tastes, we found both to be very very good. If you don't like the white and red wine offerings just ask for a wine menu and select something different. A bloody mary on the sun deck at 11:00 AM, no problem just ask the drinks waiter and up it comes (at no charge). This is the way to travel.

The two things I would caution you about are the age of the guests and the lack of entertainment. We are in the upper 60 range and felt at home although many were older. Most nights the entertainment consisted of one, two, or three instrumentalists, but that was fine for us. After a very busy day of touring towns, walking, and watching the river go by we were almost always in the cabin by 11. Even though we had an LED TV in the cabin we never turned it on!

Planning is half the fun of traveling, good luck with your future trip!

You are YOUNG! White Castle hamburgers used to be 12 cents ["buy them by the sack!"] -- when McDonalds started theirs were slightly bigger but cost 15 cents so we stayed loyal to White Castle. It is fashionable now to make fun of White Castle hamburgers -- the criticism is on target if you make the mistake of thinking of them as hamburgers. Change the paradigm to Meat Loaf Sandwiches, and you will realize how great they are! But yes, they need to be hot off the onion-laced griddle, not some frozen thing zapped in your microwave.

I will be your best friend for life!!! :D When I was a kid I didn't care how much they cost, as long as my Mom bought me my own sack!!! I was in high school in the 50's and I thought they were around 20 cents, but could have been 15....I never thought about the "meat loaf" connection but now that you mention it you're RIGHT!! I tried many times to make them at home...I swear secret ingredient was pickle and onion juice....but yeah, the ones you buy in supermarket cannot come even close!!! ...... ahh memories. :D

My wife and I just returned from a Tauck, Rhine River cruise and I doubt it can be beat. The all inclusive nature of their river cruises made the trip effortless and completely satisfying. The level of service that Tauck provides from airport pick ups and returns (even if you go early and stay late) is a fantastic perk at no extra cost. The attention to detail at every level of the cruise was amazing and while wine and food are individual tastes, we found both to be very very good. If you don't like the white and red wine offerings just ask for a wine menu and select something different. A bloody mary on the sun deck at 11:00 AM, no problem just ask the drinks waiter and up it comes (at no charge). This is the way to travel.

The two things I would caution you about are the age of the guests and the lack of entertainment. We are in the upper 60 range and felt at home although many were older. Most nights the entertainment consisted of one, two, or three instrumentalists, but that was fine for us. After a very busy day of touring towns, walking, and watching the river go by we were almost always in the cabin by 11. Even though we had an LED TV in the cabin we never turned it on!

Planning is half the fun of traveling, good luck with your future trip!

Back to the business at hand!!! I haven't traveled with Tauck but my Mom did and she loved it! As for the entertainment on river cruises, what you described covers pretty much most of them, I think. I've been on 6 with Vantage and that's what it was for us too.

Back to the business at hand!!! I haven't traveled with Tauck but my Mom did and she loved it! As for the entertainment on river cruises, what you described covers pretty much most of them, I think. I've been on 6 with Vantage and that's what it was for us too.

Similar on AMA. We had a French chanteuse doing Piaf and Aznavour songs with an accordion accompanist one night, a string quartet playing light classical music another, but mostly the resident pianist playing background music. The new Emerald cruise line is aiming at a younger crowd, so they have movies at night -- not what I go to Europe for, but different strokes ...