Sony A6000

c230k

If you were on the fence about whether to get an A6000, here's the final straw:

31vplXX4JdL._SX425_.jpg

Now you can have all of the great performance and handling in a compact format with the ground-breaking addition of a bubble level hotshoe cover!

Kidding, of course. However, if you don't already have a shoe cover or like some of us, have misplaced yours, this costs about the same as a standard one. Though it's a poor replacement for the electronic level in the NEX-7 (are you listening, Sony?) it may have some utility other than the "hmmm" factor.

Dave

Think this sure beats the level, price is a little high, but it sure does help holding and balancing the camera when shooting. Give it a try, you can always send it back to Amazon.

Tom :cool:

Looking at accessories for the A6000,found this Sony Alpha a6000 Thumb Grip by Lensmate Black. Anyone seen or used this?

here

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-a6000-Th...00+accessories

Bought this for my A6000, works GREAT, best balance for camera when shooting with a long or heavy lens. Sure beats the thumb rest.

A6000%20THUMB%203__zpsmhoinvan.jpg

A6000%20THUMB2__zpsjtpefow7.jpg

A6000%20THUMB%20HOLDF__zps6n8dhsvz.jpg

Our next cruise is looming on the horizon and I am tired to death of researching the 18-105. Worst lens ever - best lens ever - here's a shot (looks like crap) - here's a shot (looks like a prime). I have gotten the impression that it is generally a capable lens that outperforms the two kit lenses (with the exception of mid-range on the 55-210) but just wanted some "local" opinions before I pull the trigger.

Some of you have this lens, so:

1) How is it wide open at the two extremes? Corners sharp? Light falloff?

2) Is the power zoom speed variable? Does the zoom ring have set positions or is it simply another version of the zoom switch (twist a few degrees one way or the other to zoom)? I realize it is zoom-by-wire only and was curious as to how long it takes to zoom the whole range

3) It weighs about 100g more than the A6000 but does it balance well? The length seem like it would provide good balance when holding it to zoom or focus.

4) Focus speed? Compared to the so-so speed of the 55-210, is it any better?

5) General niggles, quirks, hidden gems?

Thanks folks!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Our next cruise is looming on the horizon and I am tired to death of researching the 18-105. Worst lens ever - best lens ever - here's a shot (looks like crap) - here's a shot (looks like a prime). I have gotten the impression that it is generally a capable lens that outperforms the two kit lenses (with the exception of mid-range on the 55-210) but just wanted some "local" opinions before I pull the trigger.

Some of you have this lens, so:

1) How is it wide open at the two extremes? Corners sharp? Light falloff?

I'd post some test shots but don't know of a hosting site with any decent fidelity so seems kind of pointless. I think the very corner edges are soft most times. I have a habit anyways of shooting a little wide and cropping in with all my lenses. I don't notice any vignetting at any focal length.

2) Is the power zoom speed variable? Does the zoom ring have set positions or is it simply another version of the zoom switch (twist a few degrees one way or the other to zoom)? I realize it is zoom-by-wire only and was curious as to how long it takes to zoom the whole range

The zoom ring is like a normal one, it freely rotates either way and takes me 2 twists to fully travel either way, maybe 1.5 seconds. Slowly turning it let's me creep up on prime focus. The power zoom switch is variable speed depending on how far up or down you push it. Maybe 3.5 seconds at the fastest speed to fully zoom or widen.

3) It weighs about 100g more than the A6000 but does it balance well? The length seem like it would provide good balance when holding it to zoom or focus.

Pretty well balanced, a little unwieldy when holding half shutter and manually focusing. I could see how that little thumb rest that mounts to the flash shoe could be handy in that instance, but it's a minor issue.

4) Focus speed? Compared to the so-so speed of the 55-210, is it any better?

Very fast in daylight, hunts a little in low contrast situations. No worse, I'd say a bit better than the kit lens.

5) General niggles, quirks, hidden gems?

Many have said it is a video lens - I enjoy using the power zoom at its slowest zoom while panning.

Thanks folks!

Dave

Your overall impression is spot on in my opinion.

Yes, they did.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-6300-body-kit

Specs with mag body and weather sealing sound more like NEX-7 replacement.

New viewfinder with 120 FPS refresh (big dose of lag-be-gone!)

Best-in-class autofocus - 425 focus points with improved tracking.

The Electronic Level is back!

4K recording and 120 FPS full HD (if you care.) Video isn't my forte but the oversampling of Super 35 image area to get 4K may produce useable single frames (?).

New sensor with improvements in mid to high ISO noise control. Also may have a silent shooting mode with electronic first and second curtain.

$1K price tag makes the A6000 a screaming bargain considering it is still a step ahead of it's competition.

I may be interested.... ;)

Dave

Edited by pierces

Dave

Your interest in the Sony 18-105mm lens. I bought mine from Amazon, with the intention that I would try it and if I did not like it, could return it with no problem. You might give it a try then you will be sure of your purchase.

If you did not like it save a buy the A6300 lol !

Missed this little gem...

"Perhaps the biggest news is that the a6300 is capable of uninterrupted live view at up to 8 fps, potentially addressing one of the biggest shortcomings of mirrorless cameras when it comes to fast action shooting. Traditionally, mirrorless cameras tend to show only a stop-motion sequence of last-shot images at the highest shooting frame-rate, which makes it hard to follow a subject and keep an AF point over it. Live view in between short blackouts brings the a6300 much closer to the experience of a DSLR with optical viewfinder."

I only need one kidney, right?

Dave

Did I miss if it has image stabilization? Or are we still stuck with finding lenses with it

No IBIS.

Body and layout is virtually identical to A6000 but with more metal and better sealing. (Weighs about 2 oz. more than A6000)

Dave

Think it's worth twice the price of the our beloved A6000?

Read a comment on the A6300, If I buy this camera my wife will not notice lol

Considering the A6000 started at $800, I think so. We'll see how the new sensor performs but the new AF, eye-tracking focus, 2.4K viewfinder with continuous live-view, in-camera 4K recording, tougher body with weather sealing and electronic level puts it closer to the NEX-7 when it first came out at $1200.

$1k is nothing to sneeze at but it seems reasonable for the specs. It's also smaller, lighter and $300 cheaper than the GH4 which is it's closest competition. (Though technically, the A6000 is it's closest competition minus the 4K).

I'll bet I could sell a tiny "A6000" sticker to cover the A6300 nameplate on eBay for $10...

Dave

Considering the A6000 started at $800, I think so. We'll see how the new sensor performs but the new AF, eye-tracking focus, 2.4K viewfinder with continuous live-view, in-camera 4K recording, tougher body with weather sealing and electronic level puts it closer to the NEX-7 when it first came out at $1200.

$1k is nothing to sneeze at but it seems reasonable for the specs. It's also smaller, lighter and $300 cheaper than the GH4 which is it's closest competition. (Though technically, the A6000 is it's closest competition minus the 4K).

I'll bet I could sell a tiny "A6000" sticker to cover the A6300 nameplate on eBay for $10...

Dave

I think for many shooters, they will be better off with the much cheaper A6000....

Will be curious to see if the IQ is significantly better on the A6300, but if IQ is similar, then the A6300 is mostly worthwhile for:

-- Sports shooters, improved AF and true live view 8 fps.

-- Those who adapt lenses, with greater compatibility.

-- 4k video for anyone interested (I don't do video often, nonfactor for me)

The other things, including the level, aren't worth the much higher price tag, IMHO.

Some surprises in terms of things missing:

No touch screen or direct AF point selection. No IBIS (which again would be nice for adapted lenses).

I have two weddings to shoot this year and the improved speed and eye tracking AF is worth the price of admission for me.

As for the 4K, I too have little use for video but as I mentioned before, it's non-binning capture may lead to video that consists of many, many useable single frames.

Don't discount the level...I had it on my NEX-7 and was surprised at how often it came in handy. (But not $100s handy:) )

On the other points, I agree that unless the IQ is significantly better, many wouldn't find it $400 better than the A6000.

However, we are 12 hours into it's announcement and have seen nothing in the way of comparison testing or hands-on evaluation of the performance. That copper-wired Exmor sensor may surprise us. Time will tell.

Dave

I have two weddings to shoot this year and the improved speed and eye tracking AF is worth the price of admission for me.

As for the 4K, I too have little use for video but as I mentioned before, it's non-binning capture may lead to video that consists of many, many useable single frames.

Don't discount the level...I had it on my NEX-7 and was surprised at how often it came in handy. (But not $100s handy:) )

On the other points, I agree that unless the IQ is significantly better, many wouldn't find it $400 better than the A6000.

However, we are 12 hours into it's announcement and have seen nothing in the way of comparison testing or hands-on evaluation of the performance. That copper-wired Exmor sensor may surprise us. Time will tell.

Dave

Oh I know the value of the level! It's just not a $600 upgrade.

Yes, continuous eye-AF can be a huge feature. At least on paper, it really looks like a fantastic feature. I do like the single shot eye-AF on the a6000.

IQ... wait and see. If there is a bump in IQ, it would be a big upgrade reason.

Being I primarily shoot Nikon, and my Sony system is my back-up + casual use, the big selling point would be greater adaptability of lenses. If this is the case (Nikon AF adapters are just now hitting the market), then I might be tempted.

Oh man, I can see it now...

All my a6000 compadres will move on to the "a6300 Tips and Tricks" thread leaving ol' shootr here to languish with his antiquated camera, just dreaming of the future...:D:D:D

To me, the fixing of the eyepiece viewfinder lagging is the greatest improvement I've read about (in just reading these posts) but otherwise, I'm the biggest hurdle to getting good pics, not the equipment.

I am going to let Dave test the A6300 this year and maybe next year give it a go. I am happy with my (2) A6000 and the difference between the two cameras does little for me.

Enjoy this thread and learning all I can about the A6000, to better my pictures.

Edited by c230k

I'll very likely pick up an A6300 for the aforementioned reasons and I just read that one of the improvements is the ability for the A-mount SSM lenses to access the phase-detect focusing via the LA-EA3 adapter. This is the same tech as the A7RII that allows adapted Canon and now Nikon lenses to focus natively when attached via the new adapters. This lets me use my excellent 16-50 f/2.8 A-mount zoom on the smaller camera. Icing on the cake if tests show this to be true.

I was waiting to see if it would drop before our next cruise to pick up a second A6000 to replace my old NEX-3. It did and the new features add up enough to make the price difference worth it for me but that doesn't mean the A6000 is now obsolete or wouldn't be a better choice for someone else. If there was no A6300, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy a second A6000. It is still the best value in enthusiast cameras available (IMHO) and it is still the same camera that put my A77 on the shelf. For someone new to the e-mount, the current pricing, performance and continued availability of the A6000 makes it very attractive.

Dave

BTW - if you don't have an LA-EA3 and may be interested, now's the time to grab one, before they raise the price again as these become more popular. B&H has them at $100 instant savings, which makes it $98! Great price for the adapter.

I may be getting the A6300 too - key reasons for me would be the faster AF, more focus points for possibly better tracking, adaptability to A-mount with full OSPDAF which allows me to stick the Tamron 150-600mm lens on that sensor, the better 8fps and 120 frame rate EVF for no slideshow effect, and little improvements that all add up to nice touches, such as ability to set minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO, additional custom buttons (9 instead of 7) with more controls that can be added to those buttons (up to 64 functions versus 45), bright monitor mode for composing in very dark scenes, silent shutter mode with full electronic shutter at up to 3fps, and ability to put that function on a custom button, fortified mag alloy body and lens mount, and better sealing. Add in ability to use Canon EF lenses via AF adapters using native PDAF system (and likely Nikon & others as more AF adapters come along)...and my distant hope that the new 1.4x and 2x teleconverters currently designed only for the 70-200mm F2.8 lens might possibly be usable on the 70-200mm F4 lens via firmware updates.