Danish Viking - Nyhavn canal tour question

Hi Danish Viking,

I have read your 2014 and 2015 threads over many months and know this answer is somewhere in there - but I'll be honest I just don't have the energy to go back through all the posts. :o

I made notes of many things you mentioned but not this topic... So I apologize up front and hope you don't mind answering this again!

I recall you mentioning that canal tours are offered by 2 different companies. I think the route/quality of the tours are similar, but the costs were quite different and of course the start locations were in different areas of Nyhavn. Would you mind to tell me the name of the 2 companies and an indication of the price and location of their starting points please?

Thanks so much!

The information about these boats is included in both of the Rick Steves books which include info on Copenhagen, "Northern Europe Cruise Ports" and "Scandanavia". If you are going on a Baltic Cruise, I highly recommend reading the "Northern Europe Cruise Ports" book. I am not necessarily a disciple of "St. Rick", but I'll admit that this book has a lot of useful information.

Anyway, until you get a chance to read the book, here's the info you want:

"Two companies offer essentially the same live, three-language, one-hour cruises. Both boats leave at least twice an hour from Nyhavn and Christiansborg Palace...

Netto-Badene--These inexpensive cruises cost about half the price of their rival, Canal Tours Copenhagen....

Don't confuse the cheaper Netto and pricer Canal Tours Copenhagen boats: At Nyhavn, the Netto dock is midway down the canal (on the city side) while the Canal Tours Copenhagen dock is at the head of the canal. Near Christainsborg Palace, the Netto boats leave from Holmen's Bridge in front of the palace while Canal Boats Copenhagen boats depart from Gammel Strand, 200 yards away. Boats leaving from Christiansborg are generally less crowded than those leaving from Nyhavn."

According to the two boats' websites, the prices are:

Price for Netto--6 euro (so probably 40 DKK)

Price for Canal Tours Copenhagen -- 80 DKK

Note: I'm not trying to take over for Danish Viking, but he works so hard. I figured he could take a break and let someone else answer this question.:)

Edited by GradUT

Well I have nothing to add but one thing.

Its a long time since I have been on a Canal tour with Netto Bådene but as i recall the difference is that Netto Bådene is "only" a recorded guide and Stromma has a real guide onboard.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

I'm primarily using Netto boats - they did have live guides at my trips. In my opinion providing excellent tours.

From Netto boats web "while our guide tells you in Danish, English, and German about the sights." - link to their web

This video if filmed from a Netto boat

[YOUTUBE]scteUC-p-Kg[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by hallasm
spelling mistake

We just did the Netto on Friday. Had a guide and it wS fun. The ticket booth is just around the corner from tbe larger booth, netto has almost no lines. . Think most people don't realize thete is a ( less costly) alternative and just get in he long line.

Thanks to GradUT and everyone else who replied. Now that I think of it I may actually have seen this in Rick's book rather than on this forum...! I've done so much reading for this trip I think that at least 1/2 has leaked out again, I should have made more notes!

Thank you!