Tourist Scams

Got2Cruise

This entire thread makes me NOT want to adventure outside my hotel during our pre-cruise stay and not go anywhere near the "sightseeing areas". Gasp! :eek:

Aloha :D

New York is like any big city where if you don't use common sense you can get scammed. It's not like it used to be in the 70s because they really have tried to clean it up. Just keep in mind if it seems "To good to be true." it is. It's not like most of us don't speak the language or don't understand the currency exchange. These are the prime targets of the scammers. Kind of like going to Cleveland or Cincinatti, if the area looks suspect, it probably is not a good idea to go there.

I live in Hawaii where most locals are raised to be trusting, but even here you've got to learn to think when dealing with others. When I feel like I'm being approached by someone sketchy, I simply say, "I'm sorry, I'm trying to quit!", then turn and walk away. I've received many confused looks but it gives me an opportunity to walk away without being nasty (believe me, I can be nasty when I need to be).

So don't be afraid to venture out and experience. That's one of the reasons I travel! Learning! Otherwise we'd just stay at home.

Aloha :D