Seabourn Dress Codes

bcruiser

Having just returned from the somewhat hectic and rocky trans-atlantic crossing on the Pride, I can tell you what the dress code was. There were 4 formal nights, which for men was black tie or a dark suit, or just a jacket in the Veranda Cafe. The majority of nights was "elegant casual", which for men was a jacet in the Restaurant, or casual in the Veranda Cafe. On casual nights, which were too few for my taste, slacks and a golf shirt was the dress code. As for what the women should wear, I won't touch that.

Remember - if you don't want to leave your suite, then order in! We did it about 12 times because of my wife's physical limitations. Same food and same great service! You can order off any menu that is available for that day and, if the truth be known, you can order anything you want within reason. Also, when you ask for wine with diner, they bring the entire bottle!

Whatever you do, don't worry about the dress code. On casual nights there will be people dressed as if they were going to the opera.

Leonid

On our recent two-week cruise on the Spirit (Venice to Athens), the dress code was:

The following is from The Herald (the first week):

"Black Tie (optional): Gentlemen: Tuxedo or dark suit. Ladies: Evening gown, cocktail dresses or dressy pants ensemble.

Elegant Casual: Gentlemen: Slacks with a dress shirt or collared shirt with a jacket. Ladies: Dresses, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse.

Casual: Gentlemen: Slacks or shorts and a golf shirt, jackets optional. Ladies: Shorts, skirt or slacks with a sweater.

We ask that brief shorts, hats and bathing attire not be worn in The Restaurant at any time. Also, please refrain from wearing bathing attire in the ship's interior public rooms. Thank you."

The dress for the 1st week was:

Sunday: Casual

Monday: Casual

Tuesday: Black Tie (optional)

Wednesday: Elegant Casual

Thursday: Elegant Casual

Friday: Casual

Saturday: Casual

The following is from The Herald (the second week):

"Black Tie (optional): Gentlemen: Tuxedo (alternatively a dark suit). Ladies: Evening gown or other appropriate formal attire.

Elegant Casual: Gentlemen: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt. Ladies: Blouse with either skirt or slacks, or a dress.

Casual: Gentlemen: No jacket required A sweater or shirt with slacks. Ladies: Blouse or sweater with either skirt or slack or similar attire.

We ask that jeans, brief shorts, hats and bathing attire not be worn in The Restaurant at any time. Also, please refrain from wearing bathing attire in the ship's interior public rooms. Thank you."

The dress for the 2nd week was:

Sunday: Casual

Monday: Black Tie (optional)

Tuesday: Elegant Casual

Wednesday: Elegant Casual

Thursday: Elegant Casual

Friday: Elegant Casual

Saturday: Casual

We were disappointed that there weren't more formal nights as we had packed for two per week. Hope this helps.

Lisa :)

Also bear in mind that the itinerary will determine the number of formal nights, and attire in general.

Typically, formal night occurs on a sea day, if possible. On a port-intensive itinerary in the Greek Isles, for example, there may be fewer formal nights due to multiple shore excursions, and the hour scheduled for sail-away, which if late will almost always result in a casual night onboard.

Seabourn used to do 2 formal nights for each week segment (5 on the London-NYC British Isles-Northern Crossing), but that isn't carved in stone any longer.

Denyse

Bldsld: How about our 47 day cruise? There are 23 or 4 sea days! There is nothing in our documents as to the number of formal nights which makes it hard to know how to pack. Any way I can find out this info, this being our first Seabourn cruise? Jean

jgn,

As I mentioned, there is no hard and fast rule, as it used to be 2 formall nights per week, but it seems to slip a bit depending on the ship and the itinerary.

I would think that packing is the same for 47 days as it would be for 2 weeks or so. You will repeat some outfits, and will likely use the onboard drycleaning and laundry service (there is also a complimentary self-service laundry which I try to avoid at all costs!!!). Nobody will be paying attention to something worn more than once, and you will be staying onboard as new passengers arrive.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll have plenty of opportunities to both dress up and dress down.

Denyse

I have a 28 day cruise coming up next year but if there is only one formal night per week, there is no way that I am going to haul a tux half way around the world for only four nights in one month. It'll be black tie OPTIONAL for me (dark suit). I really wish Seabourn would give us an accurate dress code for our specific cruise BEFORE we leave. That should not be very difficult to do.

I'm guessing that only about 10-15% dine in the veranda on formal nights. This, too, seems to be itinerary-specific (some ports you're just too pooped to get dressed up).

The veranda has only been open on formal nights for close to 2 years. Prior to that time, your only option was to dine ensuite, which is lovely but not the same as being served in a restaurant. It's great to have all 3 options, IMHO.

And I agree with Matt: take the tux, and leave the suit at home.

Denyse

Whatever! A tux takes up about a 1/2 inch of space in a garment bag, but to each his/her own. Dark suits are fine, but they are definitely in the minority, and the norm is 2 formal nights per week. Wear whatever you prefer---nobody will care except for you; of that I can assure you.

Because of strict airline weight restrictions, taking a tux that will only be used four nights out of 28 means that something else, possibly more useful, can't be taken, regardless of the amount of space it takes up in a garment bag. If there were no weight restrictions I would save my decisions for when I got aboard and would pack something for every conceivable use. Thus, it would be very helpful if Seabourn would give us a "heads up" on the dress code for our particular cruise (and every cruise).

....Thus, it would be very helpful if Seabourn would give us a "heads up" on the dress code for our particular cruise (and every cruise).

cruiseyguy, ITA!! As I mentioned in my previous post, my Mom and I had planned on two formal nights per week and had packed accordingly. We weren't the only passengers complaining about this either. I know other cruise lines will provide a list of what the night's attire is in the cruise documentation. Seabourn should do likewise. I even mentioned this on my comment card.

Lisa :)

Out of 28 days, you will probably use a tux at least 6-8 times, but why don't call Seabourn if you are that concerned? In all our years of sailing Seabourn, we've never exceeded the weight limit, and have always brought a tux.

We were told by Norbert that the decision about dress codes was only made when they see the age ranges of passengers on each cruise, if the average age is high then more formal and elegant casual nights are scheduled, if the average age is low then more casual nights!! They also take into account the weather and itinerary.I think this is totally the wrong way to look at this and agree with other posters that Seabourn should send advance notification of the dress code along with the documents. It would make packing so much easier.It does not matter how many of each as long as they let you know in advance and stick to it, we can then pack accordingly.

I really do not know how you do it Denyse but we are close to the limit when on a 14 night cruise. I am dreading packing for the next one as we have booked a "low cost airline" to Rome and have only 15 kilos each! We usually get 23Kg on a european flight so I am wondering what is going to get left behind (Brian???????)

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn.

Believe it or not, Ken and I each take one suitcase, and one carry-on. We've managed to pare back significantly from the earlier days of cruising because we found that we just weren't wearing all of the things we brought with us, and I certainly wasn't using all of the shoes!!! I also make liberal use of the dry cleaning facilities, so only 2 tux shirts get packed.

Sounds like Brian will be missing the next cruise unless you cut a few things out of your carry-on!!! ;)

Denyse

My last cruise was on HAL and I had to pay the airlines $25 because I was three....count 'em, three...pounds overweight on my checked bag. Luckily I am not going to Alaska this time, so I can leave behind the bulky clothes and my Ugg boots!

I figure for 14 nights, I'm taking 3 formal outfits, and if there's a fourth formal nite, I'll end up at the Verdandah cafe. Question by the way: the Verandah on the Legend is by reservation, is that correct? Is that for breakfast and lunch as well as dinner? How soon do you need to get those reservations in? And anyone have any idea how much the pressing charges are? I usually don't need cleaning, but certainly will need things ironed!

THX

Jane :)

(Legend - April 9-23, 2006, Caribbean)

Denyse...I too have changed my ways...used to take two big cases..plus carry on and my purse FULL! I discovered Chico's travelers...they are wonderful..and you can dress them up and down...! I now take Formal...dressy..and travelers. I get it all in one large case..and try hard to make my carryon as light weight as possible..we are 70 and 75..and lifting into the overhead bins is not fun! With travel as difficult as it now is...simple is good! Lola

Hi Matt,

Sorry to jump in on this thread but, when did you move to Fla.? Also, I see that your next cruise begins in "OZ". We have lived in Queensland and spent many happy hours in Caines. Ask away if we can help. Our next adventure will be taking two granddaughters on a sailing yacht to the Greek Islands next summer and then a Christmas-New Years cruise on Celebrity roundtrip to Hawaii next winter. Say Hi to your mom for us.

Well, I am done lifting and schlepping. I have already called Seabourn to use their DHL service for my suitcase; this time with a return trip included. I have not figured how to avoid packing, however. I roll things up and wear a lot of

Land's End cottons, which are pretty indestructable. I send things to be pressed and later on to be washed. I am sorry I don't have my receipts to share prices, but they are doubled if you want them done the same day.

Jane in PHL

Archived