Dream v. Reality? A Mom's Review of 5/24/15 Dream

chrislaurn

This was probably the most fun we had on the ship. We did the Deluxe Catamaran Snorkel and Beach day. The Catamaran was with Fury and Angel was our guy in charge. It's one of the better excursions that we've done. I was nervous because I thought it might turn into a booze cruise with a bunch of drunken 20-somethings. Our kids were 2 of 6 kids total on the tour. The Catamaran met us right in the terminal area and it included beer, margaritas and soda. They took us to paradise reef to snorkel. If you've never been before, paradise reef was one of the most beautiful reefs in the Caribbean. Sadly, they pretty much killed it when they built the cruise terminal. There is some coral left and a good assortment of sea life. I felt very safe on this cruise as the guides really made sure that everyone stayed together. We snorkeled for about 45 minutes then re-boarded and sailed to a private beach. There were probably 8 different HUGE water inflatables for the kids (and adults to play on). The beach area was lovely and a hamburger lunch was available for purchase. It included paddle boards, kayaks, floating mats and use of the inflatables. The boys went nuts. We did not want to leave. We only spent around 2 hours at the beach and one more would have been perfect.

The catamaran took us back to the ship and they had music, dancing and drinks. Margaritas and a moving boat make the wobble a whole lot more interesting! The crew was great and everyone on the ship seemed to have a lot of fun and it didn't feel like we were on a floating kegger. I would definitely HIGHLY recommend this excursion and we will do it again if we get back to Cozumel.

This night was the second formal night. We opted to do the Steakhouse that evening. Strangely, the reservations were limited, but the restaurant was empty. You really cannot beat the meal for the price. It is $35 pp and worthy every penny. I got the surf and turf and my husband got the cowboy rib-eye. We were both fat and happy by the end of dinner and ready for bed. The boys, however, had other plans.

That night, the boys wanted to go to the Night Owls party. This is a party that the Kids Camp does that runs from 10 pm until 12:45 am. It runs ~$18 pp with the gratuity and the kids get a souvenir backpack and some little toy stuff. This is when I started to feel old. We had to wait up to get our kids! They had a great time and pretty much collapsed into bed that night. I don't know how they lasted that long.

Last post coming up next!

I would have loved to have the two sea days on the back end of the cruise, but alas, after Cozumel, we had the one sea day. This day always has a very laid back feel to it. We spent the day by the pool trying to soak up every last bit of fresh air possible. Of course, I left everyone at the pool to try to pack us up. Here in where the laundry bags come in handy. Since I had 2, I separated whites and darks and put the bags in the suitcase. When I got home, I just dumped the bags into the washing machine.

The pool games were the usual but the whole ship felt a little quieter. We did notice a real lack of entertainment options that evening. Camp closes at 10 and there was really not much to do after that. There were two early movies that evening - Big Hero 6 and Into the Woods. We watched Into the Woods and realized that we didn't use our four free drink tickets.

We are all Gold VIFP members. We got our four bottles of water on the second day as well as our four free drink tickets. The tickets can only be used after 5 pm on the last sea day. The horse is dead and I will not beat it. Here's what we realized. Use them early!! We waited because frankly, we forgot (as they are hoping that you will). By the time we used them, around 10:15 or so, we were already in the Mississippi river and the pilot was on board. Thus, we were subject to LA sales tax on the free drinks. So, they weren't free. You've been warned!

Debarkation - We usually opt for the self assist debark. This time, we were in zone 7 and told we would be called between 8 and 8:15. Since we didn't have far to drive, we did that. Our zone was called around 8:15 and we were off the ship, with luggage, through customs, in the loaded car and on the road by 9 am. Super easy. We will definitely do that again as well. This way, we went to the dining room and had a nice breakfast then waited in one of the lounges for our number.

A few last notes - If you read my review of our last cruise, one of my biggest criticisms was the lack of bar service. Not a problem on this ship. We did the unlimited soda package for the boys at $4.50 pp per day. They never had a problem getting service at the bars and the bar staff was very sweet to them. I got a kick out of my 8 year signing the credit slips.

As stated before, we will definitely not stay on the port side again, but it was my fault. I did not love the layout of the ship. The bars were all kind of on top of each other. Again, piano bar was a major disappointment. The ship seemed to be in great condition and the cabin steward was friendly and efficient.

All in all, we had a great time. The itinerary was not my favorite, and we will probably look to doing an eastern or southern Caribbean trip next time. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer if I can. For those of you taking this same trip Bon Voyage!!!

The Dr. Seuss breakfast is on the last sea day. My oldest is way to cool for that and my youngest agreed before that cruise that he would like to go. I booked it for the two of us. They had a table set up on the pool deck to book it. It's $5 pp. The morning of, little man decided he didn't want to go as it would be "lame" and "for babies." He didn't get a choice and came with me. As soon as we walked into the dining room, he said "OK, this might be cool." He LOVED it!!! They have all sorts of Dr. Seuss inspired food. He ordered green eggs and ham. There were lots of adults in there without kids, including our table mates. They were a mother and daughter - approx. 18 years old. He took his picture with Thing 1 and Thing 2, the Cat in the Hat and Sam I Am. They have a photographer take the pics, but you are free to take your own. They also give them a little paper souvenir "autograph" book and the characters stamp their signature on the book. The decorations were adorable. It is absolutely worth $5 each for this breakfast. I was able to get steak and eggs. I might even persuade my husband to go next time!

Sounds like you had a great cruise experience! My family and I love the Dream and can't wait to see her again on August 2nd.

Regarding the traffic on I-10...Since the Dream leaves on Sunday every week, there is essentially no traffic at that time and we have never had any problem reaching the cruise terminal.

Take care!

Brad

We are on the Dream in a week. We are on the 8th deck towards AFT . We are also PORT side and I am now really concerned about this. We all hate the smell of cigarette smoke. Is the entire 5th deck for smokers? Or just a certain section of the 5th deck? I sure hope we can't smell it from our balcony!

I also wanted to know how your air conditioning worked in your cabin? We have read horror stories that the no matter how cold you try to make your room, it's still hot.

The room was really warm when we boarded. Our steward said that they had cleaned something out that day which necessitated shutting it down. It did cool off but it never got as cool as I would have liked. BUT I like it cold. As for the smoke, we were also aft and I could smell it. Like I said, it didn't ruin the cruise but I won't do that again.

Great review! I just cruised the Dream as well. I hope you don't mind me sharing a video of the Dream here to compliment your review...

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed watching the videos. Love a happy family.

As for the smoke, we were also aft and I could smell it. Like I said, it didn't ruin the cruise but I won't do that again.

We will be on Lido deck portside and I sure don't want to smell smoke! I thought smoking was allowed on starboard side not portside. We choose portside because of this and haven't smelled smoke on the Lido deck our 2 previous cruises. Do you think because we are up higher that is why we haven't smelled it??

Anyone else know? Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
Great review! I just cruised the Dream as well. I hope you don't mind me sharing a video of the Dream here to compliment your review...

Great videos! I checked out your other videos and your video of New Orleans is really nice.

Edited by Kcarp

• 2 weeks later...