Who can go back to 1999 in their memories?? ha ha

pooh/tigger

Norwegian used a hotel in Miami that housed a Don Shula steak house back in 1999. We had the most awesome all you can eat breakfast there before our journey on the Norway back then.

Our group got together recently and we were all stumped for the name of this hotel. Hoping someone may recall.

Here is what we remember, we flew in to Miami about 10pm that night in 1999. Just outside the (seemed like) back doors was a outdoor strip mall area that was packed with people walking around, shopping, music, dancing etc,etc. It was really fun seeing everyone out that late at night for us. We recall there was a 50's style diner that we stopped at and had some fries. This place had juke boxes on each table that took a nickel for a song. (free nickels were all over so the kids had a blast)

We weren't sure just how long it took us to get to the port from this hotel, some say 30 min and some say long or some shorter.

Does this ring a bell to anyone??

Thanks for the help.

no sorry, cant help...but 1999 and norwegian is significant to me...was my first cruise ever; The Norway, cruise date Oct 2 1999! I loved that cruise, loved the ship, was very sad when it had that horrible engine room/boiler fire, and how that ship ended up.

Have they remodeled it. All the rooms at this hotel back in 1999 were inside rooms. Was looking at their gallery just now and see doors on the outside.

Most of the rooms in our section were cruisers and we all put our bags in the hallway before midnight and they came thru and grabbed all the bags to take to ship the next day.

Edit: looking thru picture gallery more, that's not it.

Edited by pooh/tigger

We stand corrected,my hat may be the place.mwe found a website that offered up different pictures.

And there is a cute little shopping center by it.

That is Don Shula's Hotel & Golf Club in Miami Lakes, about a 30-minute drive from Miami. It is located on Main Street and that is the shopping area (kind of like what Las Olas is to Fort Lauderdale). The restaurant there is Shula's Steak 2. Shula's Steakhouse, The Original, is located nearby, at the golf course on Miami Lakes Drive.

http://www.donshulahotel.com/default-en.html

I looked at the link for the quaint shopping center there and didn't see the cute little 50's style restaurant we ate at. Anyone have a guess what that place was called? (I'm assuming it has since closed it's doors)

no sorry, cant help...but 1999 and norwegian is significant to me...was my first cruise ever; The Norway, cruise date Oct 2 1999! I loved that cruise, loved the ship, was very sad when it had that horrible engine room/boiler fire, and how that ship ended up.

I agree with you. The Norway was an awesome ship. From the old wooden doors, to having to step up to go thru the doors, to the huge comfy cabins, to the funky bathrooms, etc, etc.