Drinks provided in Cabin - Sea Princess

md1jw

Travelled on the Sea Princess 20th August 2005. This was my first trip with Princess (travelled on HAL, Celebrity and NCL). On the last night, after our account was settled, the cabin steward (I think) removed the bottled water, cans of soda, presumably so that we couldn't have "free" drinks. I thought this was a bit shabby. Is this normal? For me, it took the edge off things a bit, as if I couldn't be trusted. When looking under the bed, I noticed that they were placed there. To be honest, I felt like opening them and pouring them down the sink!! Obviously I didn't.

Travelled on the Sea Princess 20th August 2005. This was my first trip with Princess (travelled on HAL, Celebrity and NCL). On the last night, after our account was settled, the cabin steward (I think) removed the bottled water, cans of soda, presumably so that we couldn't have "free" drinks. I thought this was a bit shabby. Is this normal? For me, it took the edge off things a bit, as if I couldn't be trusted. When looking under the bed, I noticed that they were placed there. To be honest, I felt like opening them and pouring them down the sink!! Obviously I didn't.

Were the drinks you used charged to your account or free?

If they were charged then they were probably removed so they could tally your account for the midnight bills under the door.;)

I think it is normal - I have always noticed that they remove or move those types of items, as well as the little blue book with info in your statreoom so they can refill it for the next passengers. I dont think it is so much a distrust issue, as making sure people dont "accidentally on purpose" use it. Since you cant be charged for it, it seems only fair to me. Since you havent touched it the entire trip, it would not be too much of a stretch that you have no interest in it the last night.

I, imho, wouldnt take it personally.

Casey

I can't say for sure now, but on the Golden ours were still there the last night I believe...I don't remember them being gone the next morning. I regularly used the water and sometimes the diet coke--I'm pretty sure they were all still there on the last night into the next morning.

Thanks for your responses. We were in an inside cabin on Caribe Deck, therefore everything had to be paid for. We hadn't used them throughout the cruise, and I appreciate that our account had been settled on the last night, which would made it difficult for them to "catch up" with us, but it seemed a little penny pinching.

Regards, Joan

The minibar drinks were removed on the last night during our HAL cruises as well. They weren't stashed under the bed, though. That's kinda bizarre!

Another crew member, not the cabin steward, is responsible for maintaining the minibars.

I'm guessing it's more of a process/procedure/inventory issue than a lack of trust. I'll bet the same drinks don't go directly back to the fridge.

For example....

-Maybe they rotate drinks out and run them through an inspection for security.

-Maybe they rotate brands based on price and availability

?

Or maybe you look like a shady character.:p Just kidding, of course.

If you had opened them and poured them down the sink, my guess is that you would have gotten a bill in the mail, or a credit card charge.

I'll ask the steward about if I think about it.

Glad you had a nice cruise otherwise.

I think you were right, we do look a bit shady!! I think it was my husband looking like a gangster on formal night which did it!! The violin case and horses head in the bed didn't help either!!! Thanks for your responses, they are appreciated.

These kind of "clean-up" actions have occured on all of our cruises regardless of the type of stateroom we were in. It is preparation by the steward to get the cabin turned around for the next cruise. If he/she hides anything you need or want just ask and it will be provided. I've taken to stowing most of the unneed paraphernalia (bottled water, big ship's book, glossy jewelry book) behind the TV and there it stays even on the last night. These folks have so much to do on turn around day it just makes their job easier and they mean no disrespect.

Archived