Civitavecchia

CruisingGs

You've come to the right place. Many of us here have taken the train to Rome and lived to tell about it. :) Really, it's pretty easy although it's been slightly more complicated the last couple of years due to a relocated port entrance that is farther from the train station.

I suggest you spend a little time reading through the posts on this board as this is a frequent subject. Once you have a little understanding of the logistics, and have an idea of what you want to see in Rome, there are several of us who'll be happy to help you figure out a plan for the day that makes sense. (For example, Rome has several train stations, so you'll need to know which one to get off at if you want to do the Colosseum first vs. the Vatican museum, etc.)

I would usually suggest to people coming into Rome before a cruise that it makes more sense to stay in Rome than in Civitavecchia, given the hour commute each way -- why not maximize your time in Rome? Also, Rome is very pleasant at night. It's great to eat dinner, then walk around and enjoy (along with everyone else) the fountains, piazzas and buildings, most of which are lit up nicely.

Have you considered doing this?

Re: the train stations, I don't know of any map but:

Colosseum and Forum: Ostiense train station, then transfer to metro (next door to train station) for two stops and you will be right AT the Colosseum.

St. Peter's Basilica/Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel: San Pietro train station, then walk the several blocks. The Basilica is closer; if you are going to the museum entrance, it is probably a half-hour walk.

Spanish Steps/Pantheon/Trevi Fountain: Termini Station, then take metro to Spanish Steps (Piazza Spagna) stop, and walk the well-worn tourist path from the Spanish Steps to Trevi Fountain to the Pantheon and finishing at Piazza Navona. You take in some of the iconic central Rome sites this way.

Is there a map somewhere of what stops to get off at to see different attractions?

You need to bond with Google Maps :D. It's pretty easy to see the train stations indicated on the map, so just search for whatever attraction you're interested in and look at what's nearby.

I would usually suggest to people coming into Rome before a cruise that it makes more sense to stay in Rome than in Civitavecchia, given the hour commute each way -- why not maximize your time in Rome? Also, Rome is very pleasant at night. It's great to eat dinner, then walk around and enjoy (along with everyone else) the fountains, piazzas and buildings, most of which are lit up nicely.

Have you considered doing this?

Re: the train stations, I don't know of any map but:

Colosseum and Forum: Ostiense train station, then transfer to metro (next door to train station) for two stops and you will be right AT the Colosseum.

St. Peter's Basilica/Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel: San Pietro train station, then walk the several blocks. The Basilica is closer; if you are going to the museum entrance, it is probably a half-hour walk.

Spanish Steps/Pantheon/Trevi Fountain: Termini Station, then take metro to Spanish Steps (Piazza Spagna) stop, and walk the well-worn tourist path from the Spanish Steps to Trevi Fountain to the Pantheon and finishing at Piazza Navona. You take in some of the iconic central Rome sites this way.

This is very helpful, thank you!

As far as staying in Rome, my husband doesn't want to. He wants to be as close to the port as possible. He doesn't give much input into travel, so I stick to the little input he does put in lol