Last minute help in Vancouver

beautiful.thing

We are departing Friday. Family of 4 planning on taking Canada line train into the port from hotel in Richmond. We need to stop at the BC liquor store before boarding to get 4 bottles of wine.

Hoping to be at port at 10am to drop bags with porters.

Can any tell me where the porters are physically located when arriving by foot? Should we drop our bags and then go back to the BC store or will it be easy enough to stop there after we get off the train? Want to limit how much we have to lug all of our bags around so i was thinking maybe dropping the bags and then making the walk to BC liquors but I don't want to get turned around and lost.

So, any suggestions or specific directions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Stressing over all of this way tooo much. Maybe we should just get a cab and have them stop for us to run into a liquor store for our wine? How long will it take for a cab ride from near the Lansdowne station to the port on friday morning?

Edited by beautiful.thing

Porter location depends - I believe renovations are still underway to finish off the improvements for the busier days so you might have to schlep luggage an extra couple of hundred yards through Canada Place if they're still using trucks brought into the waiting area for luggage rather than having the conveyer belt up & running again.

Cabs will be metered, ballpark $35 (but with wait time, figure at least $40), probably a little over half-an-hour duration. Since you won't need to pay airport surcharge from Lansdowne you're looking at $4pp on a Friday morning/$2.75 Saturday (if you mean you fly in on Fri rather than cruise out) for the Skytrain.

Unless the wine you need is rare and expensive, the closest liquor store to the pier will do just fine - about a quarter-mile away on foot.

Whether the reduced hassle is worth the extra cost for a cab is a decision only you can make.

Porters are in the same place as when arriving by car. You would walk down the ramp on the east side of Canada Place, walk all the way around towards the "Bon Voyage" sign. Porters are right by the curb outside of that area.

You could head back out and go to Harbour Centre, which across from the Waterfront Station, to get your wine. A 5 minute walk.

The pedestrian ramp the previous porter is not easily spotted but is to the left of the car ramps. As to whether to give your luggage to a porter before a heading for the liquor store is up to you....I think I would be inclined to leave it with the porter and then carry my wine aboard in my carry-on only because if the checked luggage is mishandled and the bottles of wine are broken...well you can imagine the mess it creates in your luggage and perhaps even another persons luggage.

Will a cab be big enough for 4 large suitcase, 4 people and some carry ons?

At this point i am looking for easy and convenient.

Our airbnb host recommended Yellow Cab and to request a van for 4 of us, each with a large suitcase, carryon, and personal item. We made the cab request online and under "special options" there was a section for "VAN" (but you could call instead if you wish). They picked us up within 5 minutes of placing the online request.

If you're looking for easy & convenient, I'd definitely go the cab route, ask them to wait at the liquor store, and then they'll drop you off where the porters are. You'll hardly touch your luggage at all.

I would tell the cab driver to make a pitstop at the signature liquor store at Cambie and 39th (opens at 9:30am). Run inside to grab your booty with the meter running.

Another option is get you liquor at your US airport duty free before your flight.... big tax savings compared to buying in Canada.

Pay attention to corkage fees with your cruise line. Princess was expensive compared to Disney which is whatever you can fit in your carry-on.

Our airbnb host recommended Yellow Cab and to request a van for 4 of us, each with a large suitcase, carryon, and personal item. We made the cab request online and under "special options" there was a section for "VAN" (but you could call instead if you wish). They picked us up within 5 minutes of placing the online request.
Keep mind the OP mentioned from a Richmond hotel.... Yellow cab will not pickup at a Richmond hotel.

Most taxi vehicles are Prius, but there are some vans - you will definitely need one of these for 4 adults plus the luggage you mentioned. Whether you use a taxi app, website, or phone to book be sure to specify you need a van - price is the same for all taxis regardless of size of vehicle or company, rates are set by local ordnance.

I'd agree that if you do cab it, 39th & Cambie store is a good one to stop at - you won't need the extra selection unless you're after super-fancy vino, but it's conveniently en route - and I further agree that if you can get some Duty Free on the way you should save a good chunk of change; we have high local 'sin taxes' on booze in BC.

Most taxi vehicles are Prius, but there are some vans - you will definitely need one of these for 4 adults plus the luggage you mentioned. Whether you use a taxi app, website, or phone to book be sure to specify you need a van - price is the same for all taxis regardless of size of vehicle or company, rates are set by local ordnance.

I'd agree that if you do cab it, 39th & Cambie store is a good one to stop at - you won't need the extra selection unless you're after super-fancy vino, but it's conveniently en route - and I further agree that if you can get some Duty Free on the way you should save a good chunk of change; we have high local 'sin taxes' on booze in BC.

Thanks for all of the info. I'm already bring along some liquor so i don't think i can add wine to that coming in through customs. I have a carry on bag specific for 4 bottles or wine and no, we don't need anything special. Hopefully someone at the hotel can help hook me up with a cab. I'm thinking that is probably our easiest option with all of the luggage.

Not sure if your hotel in Richmond has a free shuttle to/from the airport, but there is a liquor store at the airport. It is on the domestic side, at 'basement' level, next to the 7-Eleven. If your hotel has a free shuttle, it will be easy to just head back to the airport sometime today, grab your wines, and head back to the hotel; and then be on your merry way to the port tomorrow.