A Few Juneau Questions

supatraveler

Thanks for the input and advice! If I am already doing wildlife and whale watching on a boat in Sitka, should I also do it in Juneau? I was planning on hiking around Mendenhall in Juneau.

Also, the next few days in Juneau look rainy. Do you think it is likely short bursts of rainy, or long consistent rain? Will we be able to do Mendenhall?

Thanks!

Hmm,has anyone ever rented a car from the Avis by the Goldbelt hotel? I've heard that the Juneau Rent A Car has some older cars, so I'm wondering if Avis is better even though it's a bit more expensive?

Also, does anyone know how close the goldbelt hotel is compared to where the Westerdam docks?

Thanks!

We will be renting a car to visit the glacier and then drive up to Auk Bay and Eagle Beach. Is there any cost for parking at the glacier and hike to Nugget Falls ?

It is a national park so there is a charge for the visitor center but not for parking (at least, not when we were there). We have a Golden Age Passport through the National Park service so we could go to the visitor center for free. There are several ports that have NPS sites and the Passport gives free admission. There is one for those who are not seniors but it is a yearly pass. The Golden Eagle Passport is good for life.

It is a national park so there is a charge for the visitor center but not for parking (at least, not when we were there). We have a Golden Age Passport through the National Park service so we could go to the visitor center for free. There are several ports that have NPS sites and the Passport gives free admission. There is one for those who are not seniors but it is a yearly pass. The Golden Eagle Passport is good for life.

Thanks Judy. So to hike to Nugget Falls I have to pay at the visitor center or I pay only if I go inside the visitor center ? Also, do you know how much it is ?

Thanks Judy. So to hike to Nugget Falls I have to pay at the visitor center or I pay only if I go inside the visitor center ? Also, do you know how much it is ?

Hiking is free just follow the signs. The visitor centre was $3 from memory. The 15 minute movie they play there is well worth seeing. Beautifully shot and educational! Kids loved it as well.

From the Mendenhall website:

"Fees will not be charged during the off-season, from October 1 to April 30, but the new fee will be charged beginning May 1, 2016. Forest Service currently charges a $3 fee to persons 16 or older who enter the visitor center building. A $10 seasonal pass is also available, which allows the pass holder and one guest into the visitor center. The new fee will be $5 and the seasonal pass $15 ($10 if purchased after July 15). People under 16 years of age continue to be free, and the Forest Service will continue honoring all national interagency visitor passes. For example, the Senior Access pass ($10) for those aged 62 and older allows the holder plus three guests into any national park or forest for their lifetime."

There are restrooms that you can use free of charge.

Is the tram close to that and the shuttle buses?

Thanks

You are at the furthest dock, about a mile away from the tram. It is walkable, but not a pretty walk. There are usually shuttles from the dock into town, but some cruise lines charge a fee (others don't) and there can be long lines, especially right after the ship arrives.

You are at the furthest dock, about a mile away from the tram. It is walkable, but not a pretty walk. There are usually shuttles from the dock into town, but some cruise lines charge a fee (others don't) and there can be long lines, especially right after the ship arrives.

We have rented a car from Juneau Rental Car which is located on the AJ dock. We will be docked at the closest dock to town. Can we ride the shuttle to the AJ dock or can only pax docked at AJ ride the shuttle? As you said, it is a long trek if you have to walk (although we have walked it before).

We have rented a car from Juneau Rental Car which is located on the AJ dock. We will be docked at the closest dock to town. Can we ride the shuttle to the AJ dock or can only pax docked at AJ ride the shuttle? As you said, it is a long trek if you have to walk (although we have walked it before).

If it's a NCL ship at the dock, you just get on the bus. The shuttle picks up under the awning

in front of the Taku Smokery.

As mentioned above, in the past, some cruiselines have charged a fee.

In your case- for others, it would be far more convenient to rent from Avis.

There will be no shuttles if no ship in port.