"What if" Question about Drink Package

I always get a soda card when I cruise. The table was really busy when I was purchasing cards for myself and my kids. The worker accidentally put a "PP" sticker on my card, which I presume is one of the alcoholic drink packages. Before anyone gets all up in arms, I corrected him and he replaced the sticker with the Coca Cola sticker.

But what would have happened if I hadn't? Would they have figured out I only paid for the soda card somehow? All I do is show the card to get a Diet Coke - no one ever checks my Sea Pass account during the week to be sure I paid for that little sticker. Is it the same with alcoholic drink packages?

The sticker itself doesn't mean anything. When they swipe the card if you have an alcohol package it will ring up as $0.00. If you don't have the package you'll pay the going price.

This isn't entirely true. I had PP and on multiple occasions (at different bars) I would hand my card to the bartender and it would come back with a price for me to sign. When I protested and pointed out the sticker, they refunded the amount by again swiping my card and giving me the zero balance slip.

When can you buy the drink packages? Can you buy before you board or do you buy them after boarding?

You can do it either way. If you get it online in your cruise planner your credit card is charged immediately. If you get it onboard it will go against your account. If you have OBC you can use that onboard for your package.

When can you buy the drink packages? Can you buy before you board or do you buy them after boarding?

You can do it either way. If you get it online in your cruise planner your credit card is charged immediately. If you get it onboard it will go against your account. If you have OBC you can use that onboard for your package.

Be sure to check your account within a day or so of purchasing a drink package on board to make sure it is the correct one/correct price. On our last cruise, my husband bought the soda-only package but was charged for a much more expensive package as well. The charges didn't post right away, and when we looked at the account later in the week, we realized their error. It was a waste of time and an annoyance to have the incorrect charge removed. They claimed it was our mistake! :rolleyes:

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Be sure to check your account within a day or so of purchasing a drink package on board to make sure it is the correct one/correct price. On our last cruise, my husband bought the soda-only package but was charged for a much more expensive package as well. The charges didn't post right away, and when we looked at the account later in the week, we realized their error. It was a waste of time and an annoyance to have the incorrect charge removed. They claimed it was our mistake! :rolleyes:

We've had trouble with this several times since we purchase onboard on day 1.

On our last cruise I kept watching so I could verify the purchase prices were correct and they didn't show up until the evening of day 5.

Also for some odd reason starting on day 3 the bar service waiter in the MDR told us my son's card stopped accepting the soda package. Since it had worked for the previous 2 days and it had the sticker he just ignored it and brought the soda but did mention the problem to us.

In addition to needing to wait and be onboard to use the OBC I won't pre-purchase for myself since I've been buying an alcohol package the last few times. (I don't want to pre-pay and then when the time comes I have a cold something and don't feel like drinking.)

Edited by ewenix