Kotor Fortress - Climb in May

Hi - I have read many times that it's best to climb to the fortress in the morning or early evening. Has anyone done this towards the end of May that can speak to the temperatures? The average is listed as only 67 -75 degrees.

We will be in port 8am-6pm but are looking at a tour in the morning and then possibly climbing the steps around 2-3pm.

Thanks!

We did the climb June 3, 2015. It was a warm day. In general, all our Dalmation Coast stops were hotter than the averages I found on wunderground. Maybe next year will be cooler. :confused:

In the early morning, the path is shaded. This makes a big difference, as the sun was strong. I would guess the sun is less direct in evening, too.

From 11:00 to 4:00 is probably the hottest time due to lack of shade. If you must climb then, take or be prepared to buy some water, wear sunblock and hats, and hope for a cool year! Some of the folks climbing with us had brought the umbrellas from their cabins. Good idea.

We climbed in June of last year. Since our ship did not arrive until after 10AM we did not begin to hike up until almost 11. It was almost 85 degrees and very sunny but we come from a hot climate so we are used to hiking in the heat. While it certainly would have been more pleasant in cool of the morning it was still worth it. Amazing views .Do make sure you have sturdy shoes, bring plenty of water, slather the sunscreen liberally and wear a brimmed hat. I am constantly amazed at the number of hikers who have to be rescued here because they were not properly prepared.

This is all helpful info thanks! It seems like I should stick with my original first thing in the morning plan then.

I climbed in October and the early morning shade was very helpful. If you scheduled tour was Budva the cancel that worthless tour. Kotor itself is a DIY tour after the fortress.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can I ask why Budva is not a good stop?

Budva is nothing special and you would just be better off wandering around in the old town of Kotor for a few hours than wasting time going to Budva. This would be especially true if a Budva trip would move a early morning Kotor fortress walk to a much harder late afternoon walk.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app